Cannot load zdrv_sfs as no swap partition

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Scoticus

#1 Post by Scoticus »

When booting "Cannot load zdrv_sfs as no swap partition" is displayed and the sequence then follows on to display Puppy in all its glory.

What confuses me is the need for a swap partition as I was informed that I had an abundance of RAM. As I type this free memory is currently showing as 541.

What is the effect of not having a swap partition ? In another post it was suggested that I would need one to burn .sfs files to an ISO in order to combine the 2.15 Final and .sfs files into a multi-session DVD.

Your guidance in this will be most appreciated

Ian
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Scoticus, I think that is an unfortunately worded advisory, not an error, message. If Puppy goes ahead and boots and works ok, then why worry? :)

Scoticus

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks Flash.

What was worrying me was there are times when in attempting to pull together .sfs and pup files that I am told that there is insufficient memory.

Reading various posts there are some which seem to advocate swaps. It is very much like our diet over here - chips with everything. I am still having dificulty in putting everything together due to the insufficient memory.

Will keep struggling on and see how things go.

Ian

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

If you have a hard drive in the computer, it won't hurt to create a smallish swap partition on it. Say, 500 MB. Even if you boot with the pfix=ram option, Puppy still mounts a swap memory if it finds one, even if it never uses it. Maybe that will make it happy. :)