Can't get DWL-G650+AirPlus wifi cardbus adapter working

Booting, installing, newbie
johnpc1936

Can't get DWL-G650+AirPlus wifi cardbus adapter working

#1 Post by johnpc1936 »

I am trying Linux for the first time and selected Puppy Live CD for my trial. I have a Wireless LAN - D-Link DSL 604T which connects to the laptop by a Wireless cardbus adapter. Puppy can't find the driver for it - I copied the driver on to a Floppy but Puppy doesn't seem to find the floppy.
Wireless adapter is: DWL-G650+AirPlus G+2.4GHz
Any advise will be appreciated.
Thanks -- John

jonyo

#2 Post by jonyo »

Driver info plz? Usb port? I'm assuming 2.15CE? 'Puter info?

johnpc1936

Connection to D-Link Wireless card

#3 Post by johnpc1936 »

Yes Puppy 1.5CE
Packard-Bell Laptop Easynote Sc
Driver GPLUS on Floppy (Copied from the D-Link CD)
I have now transferred the file wifi -1.0.4beta-2 pup to a USB stick in the hope I can open it in Puppy and see if the driver is hiding in there.

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

In case you don't know, you're lookin for the win .inf driver file. What does it say?

Howdya come up with this? - wifi -1.0.4beta-2 pup

I'm assuming a typo & you mean 2.15 & I was going to suggest the usb stick route to bypass the floppy

johnpc1936

#5 Post by johnpc1936 »

I have searched the CD for win.inf files - none
GPLUS comes up with GPlus.inf
; This installation script supports WinXP for the
; D-Link 802.11G Wireless LAN Adapters.
When opened with notepad
The wifi-beta2 file came from Puppy help files HOWTO set up a wireless connection.

jonyo

#6 Post by jonyo »

I'm assuming the disk doesn't have a ' driver' folder? Not sure what you mean by
GPlus.inf ?

I downloaded the xp driver & looks like an exe file? Would you know if the me, 2k or 98 downloads have a 'driver folder?

If there's a 'driver' folder, the .inf file should be there.

johnpc1936

#7 Post by johnpc1936 »

The Driver folder just contains those ones I already had i.e for all windows Operating Systems, the driver is shown as "GPLUS"
Puppy is asking me to connect an ethernet cable - I need to connect by wireless.

jonyo

#8 Post by jonyo »

I'm not positive (been awhile) but the driver files In the folder may only show up as .inf files when in pup. The driver folder should have the inf file that pup requires for wifi. Transfer that driver folder to the usb stick & fire up pup. You'll have to mount the stick drive when in pup to see the files after clicking on the drives icon on the desktop.

Can't say I ever heard of a Gplus .inf driver but might be the right one

Still may not work though even if usin the correct win inf file (may even say driver loaded successfully) but something to try. Mostly worked for me. this way (9/10) with what I tried. One time there was an inf(a) & inf(b) & only one worked.

Can't help with - wifi -1.0.4beta-2 pup. Dunno nothin about it.

johnpc1936

#9 Post by johnpc1936 »

OK Jonyo, Thanks for your attempts, I'll leave it for now (spent all day playing with Linux) and have another try another day after going through all the help files I can find.
Ciao f'now !