HSF/HCF softmodem dotpups available for testing

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.

Has any of these drivers worked for anyone?

Poll ended at Sun 04 Sep 2005, 02:54

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
Still Trying
100%

Total votes: 3

jcoder24

HSF/HCF softmodem dotpups available for testing

#1 Post by jcoder24 »

Packages moved to http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2258

2005-09-07 --New hcfmodem.pup package uploaded.
see http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=12798#12798

2005-09-04 -- Success with hcfmodem drivers
packages deleted pending updates
See http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=12397#12397

2005-09-03 -- Obtained an hcf modem for testing
If you download please indicate if the drivers worked for your modem.

2005/08/26 -- uploaded new hcfmodem.pup below
after installing the dotpup you must restart puppy
after restarting run the "HSF/HCF Modem Setup" from the Setup menu

2005/08/10 -- added additional files required for the hcf modem

Please let me know if these drivers work for you.
Suggestions are welcomed.

contents of hsfmodem.pup
-------------
/bin/cnxtcfg

/etc/hsf/nvram.bin
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hsfosspec.o.gz
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hsfbasic2.o.gz
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hsfengine.o.gz
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hsfserial.o.gz

contents of hcfmodem.pup
-------------

/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcf_linux.cty
/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_lan_linux.inf
/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_linux.inf
/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_linux.inf
/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_riptide_linux.inf
/etc/hcfpci/current.inf
/etc/hcfpci/current.cty
/etc/hcfpci/config

/usr/lib/modules/hsfmodem/hcfpciengine.o.gz
/usr/lib/modules/hsfmodem/hcfpciosspec.o.gz
/usr/lib/modules/hsfmodem/hcfpciserial.o.gz
/usr/local/bin/cnxtcfg
/usr/local/bin/hcfpciconfig
/usr/local/bin/hcfpcistop

After installing these packages a "HSF/HCF modem setup" entry is added to the jwm and fvwm95 window managers under setup. Clicking on that menu item should config the modem appropiately. If you're not running jwm or fvwm95 you can run 'cnxtcfg' from a console window. The script checks for the presence of the modem and the modules before it proceeds with the setup.
Last edited by jcoder24 on Thu 15 Sep 2005, 18:34, edited 32 times in total.

Johnny Reb

Re: HSF/HCF dotpups available for testing

#2 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder24 wrote:Please let me know if these drivers work for you.
Suggestions are welcomed.

contents of hsfmodem.pup
-------------
/bin/cnxtcfg
/etc/hsf/nvram.bin
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hsfosspec.o
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hsfbasic2.o
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hsfengine.o
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hsfserial.o

contents of hcfmodem.pup
-------------
/bin/cnxtcfg
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hcfpcimodem/hsfosspec.o
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hcfpcimodem/hsfengine.o
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hcfpcimodem/hsfserial.o

After installing these packages a "HSF/HCF modem setup" entry is added to the jwm and fvwm95 window managers under setup. Clicking on that menu item should config the modem appropiately. If you're not running jwm or fvwm95 you can run 'cnxtcfg' from a console window. The script checks for the presence of the modem and the modules before it proceeds with the setup.
Thanks for all the help jcoder, but I'm still having no luck. I installed the hcfmodem.pup package, and it installed hcfosspec.o, hcfengine.o, and hcfserial.o into the /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/ as .tar files in other words, hcfosspec.tar, hcfengine.tar, and hcfserial.tar. It did add the HSF/HCF modem setup entry, and when I ran it it advised that it had installed correctly, but when I attempt to connect with Wvdial it cannot find the modem, nor can any of the other dialup programs. I did do some searching through the directory, and as I said before found files in the /lib/modules/2.4/29/hsfmodem folder, and in /dev (if I remember correctly) found the ttySHCFO device there. However, when I rebooted, the files in the /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem folder were gone, as well as the ttySHFCO (or was it just ttyHFCO?). The HSF/HCF modem setup entry was still there, but there was no other sign that the drivers had been installed. So, I'm up a stump. :? On top of all this I'm trying to keep a very old (It was new in 1998), and very ragged Win2K exchange server alive long enough to peice togeather a slightly newer computer to take it's place.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

jcoder24

#3 Post by jcoder24 »

Thanks to tests done by Johnny Reb, I've uploaded additional files for the hcf modem.

contents of hcf-extra.tar.gz
-------------
bin/hcfpciconfig
bin/hcfpcistop
etc/hcfpci/config
etc/hcfpci/current.cty
etc/hcfpci/current.inf
etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_lan_linux.inf
etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_linux.inf
etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_linux.inf
etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_riptide_linux.inf
etc/hcfpci/inf/hcf_linux.cty

NB hcfpciconfig should be run before you run the "HSF/HCF modem setup" from the menu or cnxtcfg from the console.

cd to the '/' dir and extract the contents of hcf-extra.tar.gz. From a terminal console run hcfpciconfig and follow the onscreen instructions to configure your modem.

Sample output from running hcfpciconfig
---------

Linux HCF controllerless modem drivers, version 0.99mbsibeta02123100

WARNING: this is an EXPERIMENTAL BETA VERSION of the HCF drivers for Linux.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! See the file /usr/lib/hcfpci/LICENSE for details.

Conexant Systems neither distributes nor maintains this package.
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT CONEXANT REGARDING THIS SOFTWARE!!!
If you require assistance or need more information, go to:
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv

Should we attempt to automatically configure your hardware? [yes] no
Is the modem presently installed in your system? [yes] no

Please enter your modem's PCI Vendor ID []: 100A

Please enter your modem's PCI Device ID []: 210F

1) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_lan_linux.inf
2) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_linux.inf
3) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_linux.inf
4) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_riptide_linux.inf
5) None of the above

Which INF file would you like to use with your HCF modem? (1-5) 3

Selected PCI VendorID=100A DeviceID=210F
and INF file /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_linux.inf

Supported countries:

ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, AUSTRIA, BELGIUM,
BRAZIL, BULGARIA, CANADA, CHILE, CHINA,
CROATIA, CZECH_REPUBLIC, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE,
GERMANY, GREECE, HONG-KONG, HUNGARY, ICELAND,
INDIA, INDONESIA, IRELAND, ISRAEL, ITALY,
JAPAN, KOREA, LUXEMBOURG, MALAYSIA, MEXICO,
NETHERLANDS, NEW_ZEALAND, NORWAY, PHILIPPINES, POLAND,
PORTUGAL, RUSSIA, SINGAPORE, SLOVAKIA, SLOVENIA,
SOUTH_AFRICA, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, TAIWAN,
THAILAND, TURKEY, UK, UNITED_ARAB_EMIRATES, USA

Please enter your country name [USA]:

Configuring modem for country: "USA"
You can change this setting later with the command "hcfpciconfig --country"

This package does not contain pre-built modules suitable for your system:
Distribution: unknown-unknown
Kernel arch: i686
Kernel version: linux-2.4.29

Please obtain the appropriate variant of this package for your system
or try the generic RPM or tar version.
Attachments
hcf-extra.tar.gz
Additional files required for the hcf modem
(36.31 KiB) Downloaded 614 times
Last edited by jcoder24 on Wed 10 Aug 2005, 05:07, edited 5 times in total.

jcoder24

Re: HSF/HCF dotpups available for testing

#4 Post by jcoder24 »

Johnny Reb wrote: Thanks for all the help jcoder, but I'm still having no luck. I installed the hcfmodem.pup package, and it installed hcfosspec.o, hcfengine.o, and hcfserial.o into the /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/ as .tar files in other words, hcfosspec.tar, hcfengine.tar, and hcfserial.tar. It did add the HSF/HCF modem setup entry, and when I ran it it advised that it had installed correctly, but when I attempt to connect with Wvdial it cannot find the modem, nor can any of the other dialup programs. I did do some searching through the directory, and as I said before found files in the /lib/modules/2.4/29/hsfmodem folder, and in /dev (if I remember correctly) found the ttySHCFO device there. However, when I rebooted, the files in the /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem folder were gone, as well as the ttySHFCO (or was it just ttyHFCO?). The HSF/HCF modem setup entry was still there, but there was no other sign that the drivers had been installed. So, I'm up a stump. :? On top of all this I'm trying to keep a very old (It was new in 1998), and very ragged Win2K exchange server alive long enough to peice togeather a slightly newer computer to take it's place.

The modules are installed into /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem as gzipped files (ie hcfxxxx.o.gz). Both hcf and hsf drivers are stored in this folder. The correct location for the modules is /usr/lib/modules/hsfmodem. When puppy boots it copies the drivers into /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem.

Unfortunately /usr/lib/modules/hsfmodem is not writeable so I installed the drivers directly into /usr. This would prob explain why the files are not available on reboot. I'll edit in the install script to install them to another location and include the additional files posted above. The pupget package for use with unleashed installs them to the correct location.

In /dev you should have three files ttySHCF0, cuaHCF0 and modem. If you type 'ls -al /dev/modem' you should see that it is a symlink to /dev/ttySHCF0.

Rerun hcfmodem.pup (make sure you don't delete the file after installation). Install the additional hcf modem files and follow the instructions above.

Check if the three modules has been loaded sucessfully using 'lsmod | grep -i hcf'. Check that the three devices exists using 'ls -al /dev/ttySHCF0 /dev/cuaHCF0 /dev/modem'.

After installation the only step left is to configure the dialer and test. The dialer programs may not recognise the modem but it should hopefully be setup correctly.

I'll try to see if i can locate a hcf modem to test with also.

Johnny Reb

#5 Post by Johnny Reb »

Thanks jcoder, I'll let you know how it works asap. Didn't have time to work on it tonight, but I should be able to get on it tomorrow.
~ Thomas Paine

jcoder24

#6 Post by jcoder24 »

Added poll: see above.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Unfortunately I replaced my combo Chameleon soundcard/HSF Winmodem with separate modem and sound cards several months ago, since it was so little supported in Linux. Too bad I didn't wait. :( It worked great in Windows.

gliezl

#8 Post by gliezl »

Hi! Will it work for Conexant winmodems? I have one at home. :roll:

#9 Post by Guest »

jcoder, so far I''m having no luck, but that may be as much a function of my unfamiliarity with Linux as it is of the drivers. I''ve not had a chance to work on them as much as I would like, but I have tried to work on it some. I''m having trouble with the drivers recreating and existing directory structer within the existing directory, and I think that may be a big part of the problem. I''m trying to remember off the top of my head the exact directory structer it created, and it''s something like this /lib/modules/2.4.29/lib/modules/2.4.28/and the rest of the directories for the drivers are created here. I wasn''t thinking earlier when I was working on it because after it failed to work I deleted all files and directories that were created in relation to the drivers. I should have left them in place, and then used the explore2fs program so that I could give you an exact picture of what is happening when I try to install. Fortunatly though, I did save one very long error message, and will post it below. I hope it will provide you with some useful information.

Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
624: old priority -1, new priority -10
/etc/host.conf: line 5: bad command `alert off'
FvwmTaskBar.GoodyLoadable.AddHandle("/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/BatStatModule.so"): plugin "/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/BatStatModule.so" loaded.
FvwmTaskBar.GoodyLoadable.AddHandle("/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/CheckLockModule.so"): plugin "/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/CheckLockModule.so" loaded.
FvwmTaskBar.GoodyLoadable.AddHandle("/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/GoodyModule.so"): plugin "/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/GoodyModule.so" loaded.
FvwmTaskBar.GoodyLoadable.AddHandle("/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/MailCheckModule.so"): plugin "/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/MailCheckModule.so" loaded.
FvwmTaskBar.GoodyLoadable.AddHandle("/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/ShowDateModule.so"): plugin "/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/plugins/ShowDateModule.so" loaded.
/root/my-applications/bin/xpenguins
Redrawing overwritten desktop icons
new_gtk_browser
menu bar
tool bar
location bar
status bar
open_uri_cb file:///mnt/hdb7/Puppy-Linux/Conexant+Rockwell-modem-HOWTO.htm
load_started_cb
location_changed_cb
net_state_change_cb 196612
progress_change_cb cur 16384 max -1
progress_change_cb cur 24576 max -1
progress_change_cb cur 32768 max -1
progress_change_cb cur 40960 max -1
progress_change_cb cur 49135 max -1
title_changed_cb
net_state_change_cb 65552
net_state_change_cb 131088
visibility_cb 1
visibility_cb 1
visibility_cb 1
net_state_change_cb 786448
load_finished_cb
visibility_cb 1
visibility_cb 1
visibility_cb 1
visibility_cb 1
visibility_cb 1
visibility_cb 1
delete_cb
destroy_cb
WaitForSomething(): select: errno=11
Linux HCF controllerless modem drivers, version 0.99mbsibeta02123100

WARNING: this is an EXPERIMENTAL BETA VERSION of the HCF drivers for Linux.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! See the file /usr/lib/hcfpci/LICENSE for details.

Conexant Systems neither distributes nor maintains this package.
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT CONEXANT REGARDING THIS SOFTWARE!!!
If you require assistance or need more information, go to:
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv
hcfpcistop: No such file or directory

Should we attempt to automatically configure your hardware? [yes]
No supported modem device found.
Is the modem presently installed in your system? [yes]
1) Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem (Worldwide) (rev 8).
2) None of the above

Which PCI communication controller is your HCF modem? (1-2) ERROR: Numeric answer between 1 and 2 expected.

2) None of the above

Which PCI communication controller is your HCF modem? (1-2) ERROR: Numeric answer between 1 and 2 expected.

2) None of the above

2) None of the above

I cut that off here because it's a VERY long output, and all it's doing is repeting itself. I hope this is of some value to you, and I'll not delete what I've done in the future so that I can give you more specifics.

Johnny Reb

#10 Post by Johnny Reb »

Deleted by Flash. (Duplicate of previous post.)

Incidentally, the originator of a post can edit it at any time.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#11 Post by Johnny Reb »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now that I reposted the second post shows up :evil:
~ Thomas Paine

#12 Post by Guest »

gliezl wrote:Hi! Will it work for Conexant winmodems? I have one at home. :roll:
It should. However I've only tested it with a HSF modem. There are some additional files that werer installed when I compiled the HSF driver but they are believed to be unnecessary and are not included. All of the HCF driver files are available through this post.

jcoder24

#13 Post by jcoder24 »

that was me as guest

Johnny Reb

BSD installer, boot manager are superior; VNC4 .pup?

#14 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder, still no luck, but I'm going to back away from it and start completly over. I started to update you on what I last tried the other night, but my monitor decided to melt down before I was able to make a post.

On another matter, I've been tinkering with several of the live cd's, and downloaded a version of FreeBSD (FreeSBIE), and temporarily installed it on a computer I'm working on. What I found most interesting is the DragonflyBSD installer that it used. It was a very easy install, and in addition they have come up with a boot manager they call boot blocks which are far superior to anything I've seen with any other OS. What I'm wondering is if the DragonflyBSD installer could be modified to work with Puppy (or any other distro. of Linux as far as that goes). I believe that the ease of install and excellent boot loader would go a long way in promoting Puppy to people considering a hard drive install.

One more brief question. Puppy comes with tight VNC, which is good, but I've got all of my computers (3, and now only one monitor so I really relie (sp?) on VNC) set up with VNC4. So, what I'm wondering is has anyone considered a VNC4 .pup?
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#15 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder, here is a detailed run down of what I tried today, which I hope will be of more assistance to you.

First I ran the .pup from the root directory, and then installed the extra files into the same directory that the .pup installed the other files into. Here is the directory & file structure which I got after doing this.

/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem
which contains hcfpciengine.o.gz, hcfpciosspec.o.gz, and hcfpciserial.o.gz, and the following folders bin and etc

/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/bin contains hcfpciconfig & hcfpcistop both of which are gear icons (I'm not sure that icon is the proper term in Linux, but coming from a windoze environment it seems the obvious term).

/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/etc contains the folder hcfpci and nothing else
/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/etc/hcfpci contains config (a text file) current.city & current.inf and the folder inf

/lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/etc/hcfpci/inf contains hcf_linux.city, hcfv90_lan_linux.inf, hcfv90_linux.inf, hcfv92_linux.inf & hcfv92_riptide_linux.inf

I attempted to run the hcfpciconfig command from the root directory, and from the /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/bin directories, neither of which worked, and the only response I got was file does not exist. I then tried to use the find command to find the file (which I could see in the /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/bin directory) and still got the response "file does not exist". Since it was obvious I was getting nowhere I decided to run the hsf/hcf modem config from the setup menu, and it informed me that the modem was installed and configured when I did so, and i checked the /dev directory and found that ttySHCF0 was present (it was not present before I ran the hsf/hcf modem config from the setup menu) I then tried the WvDial and got an error message (which, unfortunatly I could not read because until my new monitor comes in I'm using an old monitor that although it still works, does not display the color red at all :evil: ) I also tried the other dialers, and none of them worked either.

Finally, after rebooting all the files I had installed disappeared. So, I hope this information will be helpful to you. I'm going to try in the future to do as I did today, and save everything I do to a txt file so I can give you a detailed description of directory/file structure ect...

I hope this helps.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#16 Post by Johnny Reb »

Johnny Reb wrote:Deleted by Flash. (Duplicate of previous post.)

Incidentally, the originator of a post can edit it at any time.
Thanks for deleting that Flash. It was so late when I made that post that it didn't occure to me that I could delete it.
~ Thomas Paine

jcoder24

#17 Post by jcoder24 »

Unfortunately my monitor has also suffered a melt down and my power supply decided to follow it so I can't produce the new .pup which hopefully should make things easier for people trying to install the hcf modem.

~~~~

After you install the .pup, change to the root directory and extract the files. hcfpciconfig would be on the PATH and should be found when you try to run it. Also hcfpciconfig would be able to find the config files in /etc/hcfpci/.

cd /
tar xvfz $PATH-TO-FILE/hcf-extra.tar.gz

you should now have

/bin/hcfpciconfig
/bin/hcfpcistop
/etc/hcfpci/config
/etc/hcfpci/current.cty
/etc/hcfpci/current.inf
/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_lan_linux.inf
/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_linux.inf
/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_linux.inf
/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_riptide_linux.inf
/etc/hcfpci/inf/hcf_linux.cty

Johnny Reb

#18 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder24 wrote: After you install the .pup, change to the root directory and extract the files. hcfpciconfig would be on the PATH and should be found when you try to run it. Also hcfpciconfig would be able to find the config files in /etc/hcfpci/.

cd /
tar xvfz $PATH-TO-FILE/hcf-extra.tar.gz
jcoder,

I've not had any luck yet, but I've got an idea what the problem *might* be. When I run the .pup it places the files in the /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem directory and not the /lib/modules/2.4.29/hcfmodem directory. I copied the output from my last attempt at installing, and will paste it in below so maybe that will be of some assistance in diagnosing what is going on.

bash-3.00# tar xvfz /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hcf-extra.tar.gz
tar (child): /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hcf-extra.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
~ Thomas Paine

jcoder24

#19 Post by jcoder24 »

*** modified ***

Uploaded a new HCF dotpup package. This is the only file you'll need.

Please download from Page 1. http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1625

Note you will have to run the run the "HSF/HCF modem setup" from the setup menu each time you restart puppy.
Last edited by jcoder24 on Sun 28 Aug 2005, 12:38, edited 5 times in total.

Johnny Reb

#20 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder24 wrote:Uploaded a new HCF dotpup package. This is the only file you'll need.

Download link -- http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=457

Note you will have to run the run the "HSF/HCF modem setup" from the setup menu each time you restart puppy.
jcoder, I hate to have to tell you this, but you put the hsf modem files in this dotpup instead of the hcf modem files, either that or you uploaded the wrong dotpup.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I really appriciate the effort you are putting into this.
~ Thomas Paine