Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 14:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Cannot load zdrv_sfs as no swap partition
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Scoticus

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2007, 04:26    Post_subject:  Cannot load zdrv_sfs as no swap partition  

When booting "Cannot load zdrv_sfs as no swap partition" is displayed and the sequence then follows on to display Puppy in all its glory.

What confuses me is the need for a swap partition as I was informed that I had an abundance of RAM. As I type this free memory is currently showing as 541.

What is the effect of not having a swap partition ? In another post it was suggested that I would need one to burn .sfs files to an ISO in order to combine the 2.15 Final and .sfs files into a multi-session DVD.

Your guidance in this will be most appreciated

Ian

Puppy 4.0; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2007, 10:23    Post_subject:  

Scoticus, I think that is an unfortunately worded advisory, not an error, message. If Puppy goes ahead and boots and works ok, then why worry? Smile
Scoticus

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2007, 13:37    Post_subject: Cannot load zdrv_sfs as no swap partition  

Many thanks Flash.

What was worrying me was there are times when in attempting to pull together .sfs and pup files that I am told that there is insufficient memory.

Reading various posts there are some which seem to advocate swaps. It is very much like our diet over here - chips with everything. I am still having dificulty in putting everything together due to the insufficient memory.

Will keep struggling on and see how things go.

Ian
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2007, 16:20    Post_subject:  

If you have a hard drive in the computer, it won't hurt to create a smallish swap partition on it. Say, 500 MB. Even if you boot with the pfix=ram option, Puppy still mounts a swap memory if it finds one, even if it never uses it. Maybe that will make it happy. Smile
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum