How do I mount my CD drives?

Booting, installing, newbie
jacatone

How do I mount my CD drives?

#1 Post by jacatone »

When I open the drives icon on my desktop it shows the HDD partitions OK, but not my CD and CD-RW drives. How do I mount those? Thanks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Linux doesn't mount hardware, it mounts filesystems. There has to be a disk in the drive, with a filesystem that Linux recognizes.

jacatone

#3 Post by jacatone »

So if I try accessing files on a CD that were downloaded with XP Pro it won't recognize them? It seems to work on other Linux distros. Thanks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Puppy might not be able to open it, but you should be able to see a file, or a folder, if one is there.

I wasn't sure if you had tried to mount the drive without a disk in it. It would seem that Puppy does not recognize your hardware. What kind of CD drive is it? (Internal, SCSI, USB, Firewire, etc.) How did you install Puppy on this computer? (From CD or what?) How are you running Puppy on this computer? (From CD, USB flash, hard drive install, etc.)

jacatone

#5 Post by jacatone »

It's a Dell Dimension 2350. Has two CD drives, a CD-R and CD-RW. I guess they're SCSI internals. Installed Puppy 2.15CE from the CD burned from an ISO. Yes, this is the computer I'm using now. Thanks.