usb drive won't mount

Booting, installing, newbie
shelmed

usb drive won't mount

#1 Post by shelmed »

Hi

I have just begun to use Puppy 2.15 CE final on my old Toshiba laptop with a USB 1.10 port. I have tried plugging in 3 different flash drives and none of them have been recognised.

I have used the drive mounter and USB viewer - pressed the refresh buttons and still nothing

When entering
# probedisk
only the cdrom and HD are recognised.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

jonyo

#2 Post by jonyo »

Can't say I've had that prob at all on 4 ~ newer laps & usin 2.12 to 5 so should work.

What model Toshiba or what are the specs? Is the usb port known to work? (say in win or something else)

cakantt

#3 Post by cakantt »

I don't know if this is the same problem, but the symptoms look the same as my problem.

On the boot menu, type

puppy acpi=off

and see what happens.

Carlos

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

By the way, you can stop the boot sequence, to enter a boot code, by hitting ctrl-p when the boot code prompt shows up. Type "puppy acpi=off", hit "Enter", and booting will continue.

shelmed

#5 Post by shelmed »

Thanks for the advice - I'm using a 1998 Toshiba Satellite with 96MB RAM and a 2GB HDD - hoping to install Puppy onto this.

I tried using Xvesa instead of Xorg and it worked!

Can't explain that one but will also try acpi=off

shelmed

#6 Post by shelmed »

Sad news - tried again both with and without "acpi=off" in Xvesa and no usb mount occuring. Not sure if this is a bug now. It's not the hardware as I have Debian 3.1 on the HDD and automount works fine.