Cant print PDF files

Booting, installing, newbie
data

Cant print PDF files

#1 Post by data »

I can print any text file but when I save any pdf file and try to print any saved pdf file it does not print.
I hasve setup my my Epson stlus colour 400 printer as default printer.
Please help

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

Just tried it on mine and it won't have it either (1.0.1 ).
It will however print them if you first convert the file using the gsview menu to a pswrite format. However the resolution, even set on max, still creates a poor conversion AND it seems to offset the top of the page - just like Abiword documents do/did.

Not sure if anyone else knows a way around this........if not then it needs to be looked at. PDF files are a common item to just about every user and printing them out should be possible.

I'll try it in 1.0.4 when I get it all set up.

<<EDIT >> are there differences with the way pdf files are generated? The reason I ask is that when trying to print the file /usr/share/ps-pdf/Acrobat.pdf it wouldn't print out. BUT I then tried printing another pdf file that I have and it worked no problem. Can anyone shed any light onto why one should work and another should not??

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

The answer to this question is in the FAQ on the Puppy website.

You open the pdf in Gsview, print from there, selecting a generic postscript printer.

marcofromfrance

printing still sucks - how do you want me to convince my gir

#4 Post by marcofromfrance »

Dear all,

You are doing a marvelous job with puppy. However... how do you want me - or I should put it more like this: How does the linux community want to convince ex-windows users to _stay_ with linux.
---
I will explain.
---
Abandoned Windows in December 2003. Almost two years on, there we are (ordinary users like your grandmom or Joe from the Joe's garage or Fanny from Burger King,) still not being able to get a printer *) to work. Despite your wizard.
---
Now I tell you what. I just ordered a new computer. With Windows pre-installed. Yes, I know you can get the licence cost refunded by your vendor (in the European Union at least, I don't know what your local regulations say about that.)
---
I am giving you (the whole linux community) an ultimatum. If by the end of 2005 you haven't come up with a system that allows simple people like me to make a printer work in all applications that are on a distribution, I will go back to Windows and see what those men and women have been figuring out for their micro soft salaries during the last two years.
---
Good luck and may you succeed.
Marcofromfrance
*) printer canon bjc-4550

SkyPilot

can't print

#5 Post by SkyPilot »

While I don't completely agree with marcofromfrance, I have to agree with some of his assessments about Puppy and printing. In my profession I have to use the printer. While AbiWord works fine as a word processing program, it doesn't do me any good if I can't print off what has been written. (I use a Lexmark Z25 at the office.) That's the reason I can't go fully to Puppy - I have to keep a Windows XP section so that I can use the AbiWord I've installed on WindowsXP to print.
While Puppy is great for getting into LInux, it still has a learning curve, especially for those whose first desire is not to dive into progamming difficulties. It seems to me that Puppy would really be welcoming to newcomers if someone could figure out a simple, easy, and reliable way to print.