Pizzapup and Gaim

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Skimmel

Pizzapup and Gaim

#1 Post by Skimmel »

I have one minor annoyance that I would like some help with on Pizzapup. If I minimize Gaim, for all practical purposes, it simply disappears. Using the Vistablack theme, I see a golden square near the CPU and ethernet charts in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Most of the other themes show nothing or only the faintest of colored squares. With the other themes I can tell that the square is there by hovering with the mouse.

Is there some way to fix this so I can either always see a different color square or perhaps even some kind of icon?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

the latest version of Gaim has it's own icon if you use Icewm and icewmtray

you can have an icon on the taskbar by having options in the file /root/.icewm/winoptions

the icons are independent, so you can have both icons at once ... screenshot:

http://i5.tinypic.com/6fpw238.png
or
http://tinypic.com/6fpw238.png

if you don't have it configured so that it is pointing to a valid icon file, it will not display an icon on the taskbar, it will display a blank square, which might be invisible depending on the colours you are using

for example, my winoptions file has these lines:

gaim.icon: gaim.png
gaim.tray: 1

which will display an icon called gaim.png, if there is a file called gaim.png in the default path specified in the preferences file (you can also use the absolute path to the file in the file name, like this, if you have a png file there:

gaim.icon: /root/.icewm/gaim.png
gaim.tray: 1

you can remove the icon in the winoptions file by deleting those lines, or commenting the lines by putting a # character at the beginning of those lines

Skimmel

That got it

#3 Post by Skimmel »

Thanks GuestToo. That seems to have gotten it. It appears that Pizzapup references Gaim.png but doesn't include it. It has Gaim32.png instead. So following your notes I changed the reference to Gaim32.png and everything acts the way I expected.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Whoops. Thanks for posting this. I'll fix that in the next version. I probably won't start on it until August or September though, as I'll be away over summer.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

smokey01

Gaim

#5 Post by smokey01 »

I have not had any luck on getting Gaim to work. I have read every help file I can find but it simply won't connect. I have tried IRC, Aim and MSN to no avail. I have had the same problem with ver 2.13, 2.14, 2.15CE and 2.16. I am obviosly missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Skimmel

Beyond the obvious

#6 Post by Skimmel »

Smokey,

I'm a newbie myself so you may want to take my comments with a grain of salt.

Gaim worked like a champ for me the first crack out of the bat. The hardest thing I had to do was to remember all the passwords and account names so I could add them to Gaim.

The first step is so obvious that I hesitate to even mention it. Can you connect to the internet at all? Assuming your browser works as expected, keep in mind that there are internet connections and then there are internet connections. Gaim works for me at home but not at the office because my computer blocks all chat programs. Some schools block these as well. One way to see if this is what is happening is to visit a web-site that supports internet chatting. Try to connect to the AIM download site. If you can't connect to that but you can connect to Google then you are being blocked and there isn't much that can be done.

smokey01

Gaim

#7 Post by smokey01 »

Hi Skimmel thanks for your reply.

I am reasonably new to Linux and puppy but have been involved heavily with computers and software development since 1977 that's why this silly little situation is so frustrating.

I have a very good connection as I use email, internet, Skype etc. I also have an 8M connection so it can be quite fast.

I can used web based IRC. I suspect it may be the firewall but then why doesn't it cause problem with the other connections?

I have accounts with AIM and MSn Messenger. I remember a while back you had to have the .NET protocol to make messenger work. Does GAIM allow for this?

This is the only time in 30 years I have not been able to successfully configure a software package, I must be getting old. As I stated earlier I have even tried this on other later versions of Puppy without success so it has me well and truely stumped.

Thanks