Can I run other Linux programs directly, in Puppy 2.14?

Booting, installing, newbie
Kampfflummi

Can I run other Linux programs directly, in Puppy 2.14?

#1 Post by Kampfflummi »

Puppy Linux is the first Linux distribution I have ever used because basicly it is the only one I got to boot from an USB-stick on all PCs I have access to, so first of all Kudos to the developers.

I am using 2.14.

I have not found an answer to my question yet most probably because it is stupid.

I would like to run a snes and nes emulator directly from the same stick I use to boot Puppy. What works perfectly in windows seems to be impossible in Puppy, as any emulator I try to start simply doesn't do a thing. When I try to start any of them nothing happens at all.

I allready could use celtx simply by putting it on the stick, although it would ocasionally break its saved files when saving so I won't use it that way anymore either.

So the simple question is:
Is it possible to run any Linux program in Puppy from a stick (that normally does not require to be installed) or do I need a modified version? (puplet?)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It sounds like snes and nes are programs made for Windows. If so, they won't work in Puppy at all. Maybe I misunderstood you.

There are some generic Linux programs which will run in Puppy. Skype is one. Just download the binary from the Skype website, unpack it, open the resulting folder, and click the gear icon to run Skype.

gary101

#3 Post by gary101 »

Hi & welcome to the kennels! :)

There are some emulator programs available in the dot pup and dot pet formats that you just need to click on to install once you have downloaded them.

I have no experience with running from a usb stick so I don't know of any issues running them this way but I don't think there will be any problems.

So.... the link to the emulators for snes are here:
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/Emulators/

All the best

Gary

Bruce B

Re: Newb: can I start progs directly?

#4 Post by Bruce B »

The only stupid questions are the ones that were not asked.

In my experience Puppy supports qemu, bochs and dosemu flawlessly.

Other Puppy users have found good support with other emulators I've not tried.

Moreover, qemu, bochs, kqemu complies flawlessly with Puppy's compiler.

Kampfflummi

#5 Post by Kampfflummi »

@Flash
No, I already figured out that I need Linux-apps :D . I just thought that all Programs made for Linux that do not have to be installed should work in Puppy as well. My Question was if that is true.

@gary
THX a lot for this site, I´ll try these right away.

@Bruce
I have not used a compiler yet, might want to try this out after the dotpups.

thx again to all of you

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

You might have issues trying to run a linux app from a FAT16 partition. I've never tried it so I don't know if it's possible. If not, you could make a filesystem image and put them inside. The main drawbacks would be having to mount that (in addition to the usb drive) and not being able to (easily) resize it.

But they might work off the bat. It depends on how much they rely on permissions and file attributes.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Kampfflummi

#7 Post by Kampfflummi »

So...
I installed the dotpups. When I try to start them (from usr/local, right?) it is the same as with the stuff I did not install, which means nothing happens at all.

Is it dependent on the file system? I could make the whole stick fat32 or ntfs if that helps. And what is linux-swap?

Edit:ALso, after rebooting (and making a save file of 64MB) the new progs in usr/local were gone. Thats not supposed to happen, right?
Edit2:Currently I use Fat16 as the Puppy-Wizard told me to do so.

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

I could make the whole stick fat32 or ntfs if that helps.
That won't matter. I just checked, and you can run Linux programs directly from FAT partitions, and Puppy definitely works when you install it to a FAT partition.
Edit:ALso, after rebooting (and making a save file of 64MB) the new progs in usr/local were gone. Thats not supposed to happen, right?
It shouldn't. Try installing the new programs again now that you have a save file. If they disappear again you have a problem.
I installed the dotpups. When I try to start them (from usr/local, right?) it is the same as with the stuff I did not install, which means nothing happens at all.
Okay. Try launching it from a commandline window. That way you can see any error messages and get an idea of what's wrong.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Kampfflummi

#9 Post by Kampfflummi »

I would like to try the command line now, however I do not have a clue how to do it.
I was able to reach the right directory in rxvt but do not know the right command to start anything.
In xrun, using the browse function, xrun just closes anytime I chose a file and click run.

So how exactly do I do it?

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

If the binary is in the path (/bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/X11R7/bin) you can run it by just typing the binary's name and hitting enter.
Example:
geany
Otherwise, either put the path before the binary's name:
/usr/local/bin/geany
or change to the directory containing it and stick a ./ before the name:
cd /usr/local/bin
./geany