HowTo Puppy A Sony Vaio PCG-N505X Laptop.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
yogiman_uk

HowTo Puppy A Sony Vaio PCG-N505X Laptop.

#1 Post by yogiman_uk »

:D Hello! :D

I have recently undertaken installing Puppy 2.15CE on a Sony Vaio PCG-N505X laptop/Notebook.

Specification:-

Processor: 333MHz
RAM: 128MB (Did not try 64MB version)
HDD: 6GB

Although the task compared to a lot of linux versions was pretty straight forward their were a couple of items that threw me.

So I thought that I would create documentation as to how to install the Cute little laptop with such a fine OS! See .zip attachment it's less than 70k and may well save you a lot of time. I have had to .zip it because .pdf attachments are not allowed on this forum. Please remember to scan the attachment for viruses before extracting it. I do have up to date Antivirus software but you can never be to careful. :!:

Also to come I have done a simlar document to aid the installation of the Belkin 7010 Wireless NIC using NDISWRAPPER and Broadcom Wireless drivers.

Cheers

Yogiman!
Attachments
HowToPuppyVaioN505X-V1.zip
(68.43 KiB) Downloaded 2506 times

Cathead Fred

Puppy Install on Sony Vaio

#2 Post by Cathead Fred »

Hi yogiman_uk,

Thank you for the very well detailed tutorial! I friend of mine gave me his old Sony Picturebook (yeah, I have great friends), and I was thinking of installing Xubuntu on it. It is currently running Windows 2000. After discovering Puppy and your well written installation tutorial I think Puppy is the way to go!

Before I install Puppy on my Picturebook I have a couple of questions. 1. Don't I have to re-partition my hard drive first with ext3 in order to install Puppy? 2. Don't I also have to create a swap partition too?

Thanks!

Cathead Fred

RickyVaio

#3 Post by RickyVaio »

If you want to do a frugal install, you don't have to repartition the drive (although if it's using NTFS you may have to change something... search in the forums).
For a full install you need to partition the drive (gparted inside Puppy can do it for you) and make an ext3 partition. I don't think the swap partition is mandatory, but it will really help the performance on your system

Cathead Fred

#4 Post by Cathead Fred »

Hi RickyVaio,

Thanks for the response! Yeah, after reading the forums for information on how to install that's what I thought but wasn't sure. Yes, I want to do a full install. Do I have to anything else in Gparted other than partition the hard drive with ext3? That is, do I have to "manage flags" and select boot?
Also, the screen resolution on my Picturebook is 1024X480. I've read earlier posts that state that Puppy does not support this resolution and that one has to make some major modifications to the xorg to get it work. Do you know if this has been resolved?

Thanks!
Cathead Fred

RickyVaio

#5 Post by RickyVaio »

I have no idea on the screen res thing, but you DO have to make the ext3 partition bootable.

Cathead Fred

#6 Post by Cathead Fred »

Aha! Thanks!

Cathead Fred