PetGet package manager is now empty...(Solved, sorta?)

Using applications, configuring, problems
jonrpick

PetGet package manager is now empty...(Solved, sorta?)

#1 Post by jonrpick »

The title says it all... I installed some things using the option to install something I'd downloaded rather than just clicking it in Rox, or picking from the list... When I went back in to uninstall those things, both panes of PetGet were unpopulated.

Any ideas on how to restore those lists?

Thanks,

~jp

jonrpick

Re: PetGet package manager is now empty...

#2 Post by jonrpick »

Also... it appears that the PetGet is totally Fubar... I can't install anything with it.

This is the message I got most recently:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# petget
cat: /root/.packages/packages.txt: No such file or directory
ls: /root/.packages/*.files: No such file or directory
RETVAL=13
find: warning: you have specified the -mount option after a non-option argument -
type, but options are not positional (-mount affects tests specified before it as
 well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other argument
s.

find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a non-option argumen
t - type, but options are not positional (-mindepth affects tests specified before
 it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other ar
guments.

find: warning: you have specified the -mount option after a non-option argument -
type, but options are not positional (-mount affects tests specified before it as
 well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other argument
s.

find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a non-option argumen
t - type, but options are not positional (-mindepth affects tests specified before
 it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other ar
guments.

cp: cannot stat `/root/.fvwm95rc`: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `.//etc/*`: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/tmp/fvwm95rcBACKUP`: No such file or directory
find: ./usr/share: No such file or directory
find: ./usr/share: No such file or directory
Generating master help page /usr/share/doc/index.html...
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
/usr/sbin/petget: line 154:   3434 terminated                      yaf-splash -font "8x16"
 -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "PETget package manager
Updating menu, please wait..."
cp: cannot stat '/root/.packages/packages.txt': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove directory `./': Invalid argument
/usr/sbin/petget: line 232:   4361 Terminated                    yaf-splash -font "8x16"
 -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text 'PETget package manager
Updating menu, please wait..."
EXIT:10sh-3.00#
Ideas???

~jp

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

What did you try and install?

That's bad that packages.txt is missing. You could copy it from /initrd/pup_ro2/root/.packages/ to restore.

jonrpick

#4 Post by jonrpick »

BarryK wrote:What did you try and install?

That's bad that packages.txt is missing. You could copy it from /initrd/pup_ro2/root/.packages/ to restore.
I installed Thunar using the files found here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 169&t=9606

It worked once, but the icons were all generic, like a sheet of paper or something... so I tried installing the other files listed there too. First of all, it wouldn't run, it just kept giving me errors.

Right now, when I type 'thunar' from the command line, I get:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# thunar
thunar: error while loading shared libraries: libgamin-1.so.0: cannot open share
d object file: No such file or directory
sh-3.00#
I found packages.txt in "/", and copied it to /root/.packages. So now the left list on PetGet is populated again, but it doesn't list the packages I've already installed on the right hand side, like Firefox, FlashFix, Java, etc... ideas?

Thanks,

~jp

trapster

#5 Post by trapster »

That would be a file called alienpackages.txt found in /root/.packages/.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

jonrpick

#6 Post by jonrpick »

trapster wrote:That would be a file called alienpackages.txt found in /root/.packages/.
That file was already there, and appears to have identical content to packages.txt.

~jp

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

The link only has .pup packages. PETget cannot install .pup packages. PETget is for installing .pet packages.

jonrpick

#8 Post by jonrpick »

BarryK wrote:

The link only has .pup packages. PETget cannot install .pup packages. PETget is for installing .pet packages.
Ok...well that explains that. Then I have a different problem. I was able to previous install .pup files by clicking on them in Rox, but now when I do that, it opens them in Geany (strange I know) but it doesn't actually open the file...if it did, it'd be a bunch of garbled text. It has like 3 short acronyms instead, in reverse text (black background, white text).

So, I don't know what happened there. As I recall, after I was no longer able to install the .pup's from Rox, I started trying to do it from PetGet. I'm not looking at it right now, I'm on the same laptop, but with the Fedora HDD installed...I'll get more specific info if needed.

~jp

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

you should be able to right click a dotpup file and click Set Run Action ... type in the Enter A Shell Command box:

dotpuprox.sh "$1"

or just clicking the clear button might work

then click the Use Command button

jonrpick

#10 Post by jonrpick »

GuestToo wrote:you should be able to right click a dotpup file and click Set Run Action ... type in the Enter A Shell Command box:

dotpuprox.sh "$1"

or just clicking the clear button might work

then click the Use Command button
Ok, that partially fixed it. It tries to unzip and install, but after every .pup installation, I get an error in a dialog box that states, "File doesn't exist, or I can't access it: /usr/local/xxxxxx"

'xxxxxx' represents the name of a file associated with the .pup package, but it's always in /usr/local/.

~jp

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

a dialog box that states, "File doesn't exist, or I can't access it: /usr/local/xxxxxx"
that would be an error message from Rox

if a command like this is run:

rox /usr/local/firefox/readme.txt

it is equivalent to clicking that file in a Rox window ... for example, if it's a text file, it should open with the text editor program that Rox has been configured to use for text files

in your case, the file that Rox is supposed to open is not there

that should not be a problem with the dotpup handler script ... all it does is unzip the dotpup file, check the md5sums of the files that were unzipped, then executes the installer program that was in the dotpup file

since there were no error messages from the dotpup handler script, and the installer script inside the dotpup file was running (the "File doesn't exist, or I can't access it" error message occurred when one of the commands in the installer script in the dotpup file executed ... at that point, the dotpup handler script had finished it's job) ... the error would be in the package, not the dotpup handler program

if you don't have enough space in the file system where you are trying to install the program, files may not unzip properly, and may be missing ... that would be the responsibility of installer program in the package (the dotpup handler program can not know how much space any package is going to need ... for example, my Java installer dotpup packages were about 5 or 10k ... they downloaded about 15 megs from the Sun Java server ... the Sun Java installer installed a Java system of about 85 to 95 megs ... so it would require over 100 megs of free space to install that 10k package ... and obviously, if you do not have the space, it won't work)

jonrpick

#12 Post by jonrpick »

Ok... well it seems I got the DotPup issue resolved...and I got Thunar running without errors :-)

However, I'm back where I started, with no real graphical support in it. The 'icons' are all just an image of a piece of paper with the corner folded--regardless of the file type. So I'll search for that, and if I can't find the answer, I'll post back in a new thread.

Thanks all...

~jp

MU

#13 Post by MU »

this thread explains how to activate the icons:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 907&t=9606

the icon-theme is here:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/Gtk ... 2.14.2.pup

Then edit /root/.gtkrc-2.0

Add this line to it:
gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome"

Mark

jonrpick

#14 Post by jonrpick »

MU wrote:this thread explains how to activate the icons:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 907&t=9606

the icon-theme is here:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/Gtk ... 2.14.2.pup

Then edit /root/.gtkrc-2.0

Add this line to it:
gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome"

Mark
/root/.gtkrc-2.0 does not exist on my system...

~jp

John Doe

#15 Post by John Doe »

Try just adding it as a new text file and putting in that line.

jonrpick

#16 Post by jonrpick »

John Doe wrote:Try just adding it as a new text file and putting in that line.
I actually replied to myself that I created the file using the example in the other thread for mine. But it didn't work.

The only icon that's not a sheet of paper is a .jpg file--that's a mini version of the actual pic. Other than that, all files and directories are the same.

~jp