kPup 2.16 - Kiosk Puplet (106 MB)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Todd

kPup 2.16 - Kiosk Puplet (106 MB)

#1 Post by Todd »

kPup 2.16 is available for download (http://www.toddrichardson.com/kpup/). This puplet is built upon the standard release of 2.16. Firefox, glibc (for Flash to work properly) and the latest Flash have been added. kPup opens directly into Firefox (with the above website as its home).

Todd

raffy

added firefox?

#2 Post by raffy »

So you mean you simply added firefox to it? It's size is about 110 MB, so that got me curious...
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

iscraigh

#3 Post by iscraigh »

Todd tried your previous kiosk pup and noticed it did not do dhcp on bootup. If it is going to open right to firefox it would be nice to be able to surf right away without closing firefox and running the network setup. (ignore if you have changes this behavior I will test when download finishes).

Craig

Todd

#4 Post by Todd »

Raffy:

Actually, glibc is very large (5MB), but necessary for the latest releases of Flash. Glibc is also necessary for Wine to work correctly (although my mentioning this is just a side note). The target audience is used computers here in the United States. It is easy to find used computers 700 to 1500 Mhz that a 100MB Puppy can run on. A lot of these computers have dying hard drives and/or CDROM's, but USB Flash Drives are cheap and so as long as the cooling fans are still good, you are in business.

Graig:
Todd tried your previous kiosk pup and noticed it did not do dhcp on bootup. If it is going to open right to firefox it would be nice to be able to surf right away without closing firefox and running the network setup.
I don't know how to do this. Can you walk me through it?

Todd

iscraigh

#5 Post by iscraigh »

On boot up run the command "dhcpd"

try it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

You may have to find another place for it though. I ran it in a terminal and it worked so in the right startup file it should be golden.

Assuming puppy loads the driver for your nic you should be good to go.

It should be the default in puppy in my humble opinion.

Craig

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

:) It adds 5-15 sec to bootup (which if you are using DHCP) is no worry.

If you are not it slows Puppy down. Barrys thinking is you only have to set DHCP once BUT if it was automated - everyone would be waiting 5-15 sec perhaps for a service they were not using. Multiply by similar essential services and Puppy begins to slow at boot up.

Even though I use DHCP - I feel it should not be added to bootup except on more convenient and friendly versions such as kiosk pup, Rudy pup, Ezpup, Teenpup etc

Hope that makes sense :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

iscraigh

#7 Post by iscraigh »

Understand the reason just respectfully disagree :) It would be interesting to do a poll and see what percentage use dhcp. If it was 70%+ then it should probably be a default. Not a really big deal for me but one less thing to set up for the non computer savvy.

Craig

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Couldn't you just run it in parallel? It might still slow things down a little, but nowhere near as much as waiting for it to finish before continuing. If there's anything that depends on dhcpcd being finished, you could put them all in the same script, then run that script in parallel.

For example, right now I'm using WIFI, so I made a script called rc.startwireless that loads the driver, configures the interface, then runs dhcpcd. I launch that from rc.local like this:
/etc/rc.d/rc.startwireless &
That way I don't have to wait on it and can boot much faster.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Gn2

#9 Post by Gn2 »

That would start the inet.d (daemon) - but not connect
IF the NIC driver is boot found/loaded - (lsmod or ifconfig -a to confirm)
The command is
dhcpcd eth0
then connects
dhcpcd simply is one way to start/stop the dhcp --> daemon.

Code: Select all

man ifconfig 
Majority of users now DO use dhcp - for cable or adsl !

Wireless is common for laptops
As Pizza said - parallel it in background (ampersand "&" )
OR use "nice" command options (man nice)

WHY everyone is so hot & bothered over a few seconds boot time
Then what do they do - stare at screen while cpu is 90% of time in wait-state

It's the bottle neck between the CHAIR and the keyboard !

happyhippo

#10 Post by happyhippo »

well bootup time isn't the only case.

i have everything powered up and sometimes puppy is so fast that 1 it takes a long time with settingup network and when the desktop is ready and i want to use firefox i can't get on with it and have to use connect again.

so maybe starting the script later on in the booting proces would i my case be better.
(but how do i cancel it at boot? and run it with rc.local?

iscraigh

#11 Post by iscraigh »

Gn2

strangely starting the daemon was all i needed to do and it pulled an ip. In the past I have always specified an interface but i did not and it worked. When the daemon is started does it automatically broadcast out all the interfaces? That would be good if you had more than one (or could be bad of course.
So if it can be run in parallel and most people use it why would we (we being Barry of course :)) not make it a default? The real question is do most people use it, I do and I like to think the world revolves around me but sadly I am beginning to suspect that it doesn't.

Craig

Gn2

#12 Post by Gn2 »

Unlike users - that daemon has ONE pupose - it runs dhcp
> to broadcast to Web & find an I.S.P.
(for a dynamic address, NOT a static = supplied by your service)

It runs no inet interface - that is left to E.G. ifconfig
There ARE other ways to CFG eth devices

If the user has a bad configuration- the dhcp service may be running just fine - yet STILL be unable to connect !

To test that - turn off router/gateway > run dhcpcd :
A Msg is (supposed to be) output to screen,
stating that service is already running & "suggests" interactive user responce.
IF it is set up PROPERLY dhcp(cd) is run automatically -
ONLY if a (broadband) interface is found !
That is precisely how it gets automatically boot activated once the configuration is set !

(Check yout dmesg screen output @ bootup)
Or see logged system events folders > /var/log

ozel

#13 Post by ozel »

Hi Todd,

I really would like to checkout kpup, but the "/kpup/" subfolder seems to has vanished from your webserver.
Another candidate that may require your checking is ww.ipup.info.
I get an "You don't have permission to access /ipup/ on this server" Acess Forbidden error when trying to visit it.

I'm working on an pc-based touchscreen tablet for home use (someday it will be released as an open hardware project) wich should only feature a browser in fullscreen mode to controll web apps.
I'm looking forward to start from a puppy based firefox linux distro like kpup and of course contribute to its development if necessary...

Greetings from Munich, Bavaria,
Oli

Todd

#14 Post by Todd »

I have fixed http://www.ipup.info/.

Todd