HSF/HCF softmodem dotpups available for testing

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.

Has any of these drivers worked for anyone?

Poll ended at Sun 04 Sep 2005, 02:54

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
Still Trying
100%

Total votes: 3

jcoder24

#21 Post by jcoder24 »

Download the file hcfmodem.pup package from Page 1. That is the correct file.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1625

Page 1 also contains instructions for installing and using the driver.

Johnny Reb

#22 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder24 wrote:Download the file hcfmodem.pup package from Page 1. That is the correct file.[/b]
Thanks jcoder, I got it downloaded, and will be trying it out tomorrow for sure (tonight if I have time). I'll let you know ASAP if it works (ASAP may be a few days if this hurricane takes down the power, even though I'm located a long way inland they are still predicting high winds, and power outages).
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#23 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder, I got the modem installed! However, I've not got it to actually work yet. None of the dialer programs will work with it. WvDial does recognize that it's there, but returns with an error message which unfortunatly I will be unable to read until my new monitor arrives (working with a monitor that does not dispaly red at all really sucks). After trying the dialer programs, I tried the terminal, and got some results, which may give someone with more knowlege an idea about what's going on. The results are:

See pppd(8) for more options.
# pppd modem
~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&º˜K&}'}"}(}"Sˆ~
# pppd crtscts modem
~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&Z}(A(}'}"}(}"Òë~
# pppd crtscts mru n modem
Segmentation fault
# pppd mru n
Segmentation fault
#

Note: the modem never made any sound at all, but as you can see there was some communication with it.

I hope that will be enough for you to diagnose what the problem is, and if it's not please let me know any additional info that you need. Thanks.
~ Thomas Paine

jcoder24

#24 Post by jcoder24 »

Glad to see you made it thru the hurricane! I hope you weren't too negatively affected.

According to the pppd howto http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/x314.html you can try wvdial from the console
as follows:

run wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
edit /etc/wvdial.conf
uncomment (delete the semicolon at the beginning of the line) the phone, username and password lines and enter your ISP dialup number, your username and your password respectively.
note the time and then run wvdial

this should allow you to see what errors are showing up.

if it still fails to dial your isp check the lines of /var/log/messages for anything after the time you start wvdial and attach it to your next post. There may also be a /etc/ppp/connect-errors, you can attach that as well.

~~~~~~~~

As for using pppd from the command line, that is a bit more involved.

The mru n you specified for the last two commands is incorrect. n is a number between 128 and 1500.
You can omit the mru option.

The crtscts option turns on hardware handshaking. Since the modem is a winmodem I'm not sure how this affects connecting.

In order to use pppd from the console you need to have a couple of other files setup. Below is my summary of the manual configuration adapted from the PPP HOWTO and my four-years-old memories of pppd on unix.

Files to be created/edited

1. /etc/resolv.conf
contains the addresses of your nameservers

2. /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
contains username and password information for authentication

3. /etc/ppp/options
"Provides both login information and also certain hardware information about your modem"

4. /usr/sbin/ppp-on, /usr/sbin/ppp-on-dialer and /usr/sbin/ppp-off
scripts to start and stop the connection

1. Edit /etc/resolv.conf and add your isp name servers to the bottom of the file like below
nameserver 1.2.3.4
nameserver 1.2.3.5

2. Typically you only need one of the following files depending on which authentication your isp uses. If you're unsure you can create both of them.

example /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client server secret acceptable local IP addresses
username * password

example /etc/ppp/chap-secrets

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client server secret acceptable local IP addresses
username * password
* username password

3. Puppy has an /etc/ppp/options file already. If the connection fails with this default file refer to http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/options.html#AEN964

4. The following three scripts should be made executable after creating/editing them by issuing the chmod +x command:

example ppp-on script (This script has been adapted from the PPP HOWTO and has not been tested.)

#!/bin/sh
#
#
# Script to initiate a PPP connection. This is the first part of the
# pair of scripts. This is not a secure pair of scripts as the codes
# are visible with the 'ps' command. However, it is simple.
#
# These are the parameters. Change as needed.

TELEPHONE=555-1212 # The telephone number for the connection
LOCAL_IP=0.0.0.0 # Local IP address if known. Dynamic = 0.0.0.0
REMOTE_IP=0.0.0.0 # Remote IP address if desired. Normally 0.0.0.0

export TELEPHONE

DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer

#--- Initiate the connection
exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug /dev/modem 38400 \
$LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

example ppp-on-dialer script (This script was taken from PPP HOWTO and has not been personally tested)

#!/bin/sh
#
# This is part 2 of the ppp-on script. It will perform the connection
# protocol for the desired connection.
#
exec /usr/sbin/chat -v \
TIMEOUT 3 \
ABORT '\nBUSY\r' \
ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r' \
ABORT '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r' \
'' \rAT \
'OK-+++\c-OK' ATH0 \
TIMEOUT 30 \
OK ATDT$TELEPHONE \
CONNECT '' \

example ppp-off script (This script was taken from PPP HOWTO and has not been personally tested)

#!/bin/sh
######################################################################
#
# Determine the device to be terminated.
#
if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
DEVICE=ppp0
else
DEVICE=$1
fi

######################################################################
#
# If the ppp0 pid file is present then the program is running. Stop it.
if [ -r /var/run/$DEVICE.pid ]; then
kill -INT `cat /var/run/$DEVICE.pid`
#
# If the kill did not work then there is no process running for this
# pid. It may also mean that the lock file will be left. You may wish
# to delete the lock file at the same time.
if [ ! "$?" = "0" ]; then
rm -f /var/run/$DEVICE.pid
echo "ERROR: Removed stale pid file"
exit 1
fi
#
# Success. Let pppd clean up its own junk.
echo "PPP link to $DEVICE terminated."
exit 0
fi
#
# The ppp process is not running for ppp0
echo "ERROR: PPP link is not active on $DEVICE"
exit 1
Last edited by jcoder24 on Sun 23 Oct 2005, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Problem with Conexant HCF modem

#25 Post by Guest »

I`m a linux newbie and the happy owner of Conexant HCF 56K Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp modem.
I installed hcfmodem.pup (the one that was posted on 2005/08/26), then rebooted the system and run cnxtcg in Rxvt .
After that the scrip does not recognize my modem any way I followed all the steps..
In This step What should I do?

1) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_lan_linux.inf
2) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_linux.inf
3) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_linux.inf
4) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_riptide_linux.inf
5) None of the above

Which INF file would you like to use with your HCF modem? (1-5) 2

I choose number 2 ( My modem was bought in 2000 and I think it is not V92)

Finally the scrip says the modem is correctly instaled.

But when I try to open the Dialer It say that my modem is not present.

My question is : Did I do all things well? What I missed?

Thanks in advance...
Regards from Argentina

Johnny Reb

Re: Problem with Conexant HCF modem

#26 Post by Johnny Reb »

Anonymous wrote:I`m a linux newbie and the happy owner of Conexant HCF 56K Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp modem.
Heh, well at least I ain't the only one! I hope you have better luck getting it to work than I have.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#27 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder24 wrote:Glad to see you made it thru the hurricane! I hope you weren't too negatively affected.

According to the pppd howto http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/x314.html you can try wvdial from the console
as follows:

run wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
edit /etc/wvdial.conf
uncomment (delete the semicolon at the beginning of the line) the phone, username and password lines and enter your ISP dialup number, your username and your password respectively.
note the time and then run wvdial

this should allow you to see what errors are showing up.

if it still fails to dial your isp check the lines of /var/log/messages for anything after the time you start wvdial and attach it to your next post. There may also be a /etc/ppp/connect-errors, you can attach that as well.

~~~~~~~~

As for using pppd from the command line, that is a bit more involved.

The mru n you specified for the last two commands is incorrect. n is a number between 128 and 1500.
You can omit the mru option.

The crtscts option turns on hardware handshaking. Since the modem is a winmodem I'm not sure how this affects connecting.

In order to use pppd from the console you need to have a couple of other files setup. Below is my summary of the manual configuration adapted from the PPP HOWTO and my four-years-old memories of pppd unix.
Thanks, I wasn't too worried about the hurricane, except for the power going out because I'm up near the Tennessee border. Fortunatly we never lost power at all, which came as a real suprise because the power usualy goes out here whenever a bad cloud comes up...rain or not. The only real negitive effects felt were felt by my tomato plants, which didn't fare too well, but even they made it through it better than I thought they would given the high winds we got.

I'll try the wvdial through the console & pppd suggestions you made and see what happens. It may be a day or two before I get any results for you because I'm working on getting an old install of Peanut Linux to working, as well as Puppy. I had Peanut installed, and was booting via floppy. I don't think I had it up for a full month before the floppy controller on my motherbord died, and it's just been sitting there for I guess a year. Puppy inspired me to download the .iso (when I first installed it I just downloaded the zip file) so that I could boot off the cd. I've now got it booting, but have run into problems with it too. The primary problem is that in order to get some things working on it I'm going to have to recompile the kernel. I've read several howtos on it and was ready to give it a try the other night, and when I entered make menuconfig into the terminal I got the error message unknown command make or something to that effect. There is a gcc compiler installed, but for some reason it's not working. I've since downloaded the compiler from the Peanut 9.5 archives, and installed it again, and tried to install another program that would require compiling, and got this: ~/install-programs/torsmo-0.18# ./configure
loading cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no
checking for working aclocal-1.4... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake-1.4... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -Os -mcpu=i386 -fno-strength-reduce ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
CSA3:~/install-programs/torsmo-0.18#

I know that's kind of off topic, but if you have any suggestions I'd sure appriciate them.
Last edited by Johnny Reb on Thu 01 Sep 2005, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#28 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder, I forgot to mention in my previous post that what I was trying with pppd was just a shot in the dark. I've never attempted to connect through the command line before, and was just entering commands I got after trying pppd --help.
~ Thomas Paine

jcoder24

Re: Problem with Conexant HCF modem

#29 Post by jcoder24 »

Anonymous wrote: My question is : Did I do all things well? What I missed?

Thanks in advance...
Regards from Argentina
Looks like you did everything right. These are beta drivers and may not work for everyone. I would suggest selecting an inf in the order of 2,3,1,4. If all of these fails then you post the contents of /var/log/messages that relates to configuring the modem and setting up the dialer.

Note that you will have to restart puppy to try each new inf.

jcoder24

#30 Post by jcoder24 »

Johnny Reb wrote: I know that's kind of off topic, but if you have any suggestions I'd sure appriciate them.
I'm no where near a 'compilation' pro but from your post it seems like a problem with gcc. Maybe it's broken. You could prob try an older version of GCC.

jcoder24

#31 Post by jcoder24 »

I've gotten hold of an hcf modem. So far I'm not having much luck -- in fact Johnny Reb has had better luck than me. I'm going to try recompiling the drivers with the modem installed in VL. I'll then test it in VL and compare the results.

Stay tuned....

BTW. I've noticed quite a number of downloads for the hsfmodem but I've only had three responses to the poll. It would be nice to know if the drivers are working of if they need more work. So if you download please provide feedback.

Johnny Reb

#32 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder24 wrote:I'm no where near a 'compilation' pro but from your post it seems like a problem with gcc. Maybe it's broken. You could prob try an older version of GCC.
Yes it appears that is the problem. I've since downloaded and older version of gcc, which it refuses to install, and the same version that I've got and tried to reinstall it. When I try to reinstall I get a slew of error messages warning of missing dependicies.............libpng.so.3, libtcl8.3.so, /usr/local/bin/perl
/bin/csh libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by tcl-8.3.5-96.0.1 libntdll.dll.so
are just a few of them. I've been trying to locate where you can download these files, and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. If I don't find them before long I think I'm just going to wipe out that partition and reinstall from scratch.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#33 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder24 wrote:I've gotten hold of an hcf modem. So far I'm not having much luck -- in fact Johnny Reb has had better luck than me. I'm going to try recompiling the drivers with the modem installed in VL. I'll then test it in VL and compare the results.
jcoder, here's something that may be useful. Since I had trouble with Ice crashing I renamed my pup101 to pup101.zip and started over with a new pup101 in order to try and find out what was going on there, but I found out something that may have a bearing on the modem drivers. When I created the new pup101 I installed IceWM before I installed the dodpup for the modem drivers. With Ice installed the HCF/HSF wizard does not appear in the menu, so I attempted to configure the modem via the terminal, and got these results, which you do not get if you use the wizard:
This package does not contain pre-built modules suitable for your system:
Distribution: unknown-unknown
Kernel arch: i686
Kernel version: linux-2.4.29

Please obtain the appropriate variant of this package for your system
or try the generic RPM or tar version.
#
So, it would appear that the drivers you have may be the problem. If it will be any assistance to you, I do have some of the beta drivers in the source packages, both rpm's and tar.gz. Just let me know, and I can email them. I downloaded quiet a few different versions of them when I first installed Peanut trying to get the modem to work with it, but everytime I'd try to install them I kept getting a message that I needed to recompile the kernel, and then the floppy went out on me. Foutunatly I rarely delete something like that, and still have the drivers on my computer.
~ Thomas Paine

#34 Post by Guest »

Johnny Reb wrote:
The emphasis in that message is on pre-built modules which means that you have to recompile the modules from source for your particular distro. (Previously there were only binary versions of the modules for Redhat and I think Debian.)

The modules I've provided were compiled under Vector Linux 5.1 (as recommended) running in VMWare. The problem I'm having is that when I try to insert the modules without the /etc/hcfpci/current.inf I get a number of warnings but all modules load 'successfully' yet the modem fails to work. When I try it with /etc/hcfpci/current.inf in place I get a segmentation fault when inserting the hcfpciserial module.

This could be indicating a 'bad' inf file. My plan it to transfer an image of my VMWare Vector Linux install to a 'real' partition so I can test the modem from Vector.

BTW. Your modem actually appears to have been installed 'completely'. How did you answer the questions about inf, vendor id, pci id, country....?

jcoder24

#35 Post by jcoder24 »

That was me as guest.

jcoder24

#36 Post by jcoder24 »

Success with hcfmodem drivers

I now have to work on including the changes into hcfmodem.pup. Therefore I have removed the hcfmodem.pup file for now.

So far the changes needed for the hcfmodem don't seem necessary for the hsfmodem. However, with the lack of feedback on the hsf drivers I will make the same changes for the hsfmodem, test them and hope they work for everone.

Hopefully new packages will be available by tomorrow Sep 5th

Johnny Reb

#37 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcoder24 wrote:Success with hcfmodem drivers
Congratulations jcoder! I'll test them as soon as possible.

In reference to your previous reply to the post about the error message I got when configuring through the terminal, I never doubted that the drivers had installed. I just figured they were not working correctly because of that message. Had they not installed at all I would have got no feedback at all when I ran the pppd commands, or at least it stands to reason that I wouldn't have anyway.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#38 Post by Johnny Reb »

Anonymous wrote:
Johnny Reb wrote: BTW. Your modem actually appears to have been installed 'completely'. How did you answer the questions about inf, vendor id, pci id, country....?
I about forgot to answer this question. When I first installed I used the values you provided in one of your eariler howtos since I had no idea what they should be (100A &210F if memory serves me correctly). Since then I've done some surfing, and came up with these values 14F1 & 1056 which I hope are correct. I'll try them first and if they don't work use the 100A & 210F. If that does not work I'll do some more surfing and try to come up with the correct values. I don't know what kind of modem you used to test with, but mine is a Creative Blaster modem (I think a more appropriate name for it could be had by deleting two letters from blaster and inserting a few more) Flash 56 PCI DI-5630-5.
~ Thomas Paine

New Puppy Fan

Problem with HCF modem

#39 Post by New Puppy Fan »

Hi, jcoder. I have the same Connexant modem and after downloading hcfmodem.pup and -extra.tar.gz I installed them as you described. Then I ran hcfpciconfig and in the end I got error like that "All/some files not installed". Do you have any advice?
Thank you!
New Puppy Fan

jcoder24

#40 Post by jcoder24 »

Packages moved to http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2258

New tested hcfmodem.pup package available -- download below. The new hsfmodem.pup should be up in a day or two.

Changes
1) Should work "out of the box" hopefully

2) Displays your modem pci vendor/device id for use in configuring.

3) Skips the need to re-enter the pci vendor/device ids and other values set during the initial installation when re-running the modem setup program.

4) pci vendor/device ids and other info can be change by running hcfpciconfig (or hsfconfig for the hsf drivers)

Sample output from running the setup. The bolded text are the values I entered.

** PCI Vendor ID = 14f1 PCI Device ID = 1033 **

Linux HCF controllerless modem drivers, version 0.99mbsibeta02123100

WARNING: this is an EXPERIMENTAL BETA VERSION of the HCF drivers for Linux.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! See the file /usr/lib/hcfpci/LICENSE for details.

Conexant Systems neither distributes nor maintains this package.
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT CONEXANT REGARDING THIS SOFTWARE!!!
If you require assistance or need more information, go to:
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv

Should we attempt to automatically configure your hardware? [yes] n
Is the modem presently installed in your system? [yes] n

Please enter your modem's PCI Vendor ID []: 14f1

Please enter your modem's PCI Device ID []: 1033

1) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_lan_linux.inf
2) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_linux.inf
3) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_linux.inf
4) /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv92_riptide_linux.inf
5) None of the above

Which INF file would you like to use with your HCF modem? (1-5) 2

Selected PCI VendorID=14f1 DeviceID=1033
and INF file /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_linux.inf

Unable to determine country, defaulting to "USA"

Configuring modem for country: "USA"
You can change this setting later with the command "hcfpciconfig --country"

Please obtain the appropriate variant of this package for your system
or try the generic RPM or tar version.
Using /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hcfpciosspec.o.gz
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hcfpciosspec.o.gz will taint the k ernel: non-GPL license - Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Conexant Systems Inc. All Right s Reserved.
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modu les
Module hcfpciosspec loaded, with warnings
Using /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hcfpciengine.o.gz
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hcfpciengine.o.gz will taint the k ernel: non-GPL license - Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Conexant Systems Inc. All Right s Reserved.
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modu les
Module hcfpciengine loaded, with warnings
Using /lib/modules/2.4.29/hsfmodem/hcfpciserial.o.gz
Linux HCF controllerless modem drivers, version 0.99mbsibeta02123100

WARNING: this is an EXPERIMENTAL BETA VERSION of the HCF drivers for Linux.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! See the file /usr/lib/hcfpci/LICENSE for details.

Conexant Systems neither distributes nor maintains this package.
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT CONEXANT REGARDING THIS SOFTWARE!!!
If you require assistance or need more information, go to:
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv

Your HCF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHCF0
or through the symbolic link /dev/modem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As usu. feedback welcome.
Last edited by jcoder24 on Thu 15 Sep 2005, 18:32, edited 2 times in total.