Problems involving Freezing Wakepup and iPod

Booting, installing, newbie
Gnu32

Problems involving Freezing Wakepup and iPod

#1 Post by Gnu32 »

Ello, first time linux user ere

I have a laptop and computer, both have a version of bios which lacks USB Boot support, so after looking around i found WAKEPUP to be the solution.

So i downloaded it, set up the floppy disk, put the appropriate PUPXUSB file in the ipod (Which has the 3 required puppy files on the top level) and rebooted as normal

Wakepup pops up, selected the USB option and it starts scanning cdrom drives and usb ports as normal. Everything seems to go according to plan until it comes to finishing the usb scanning. It detects and lists my ipod and then nothing seems to happen when "...Scanning USB Devices..." Disappears, it just sits there, frozen.

I tried on both the laptop and computer, and what seemed stranged is that on the computer, the floppy drive light just stayed lit, so i waited for 10-20 minutes to see if it was just slow on loading, nope nothing.

I looked everywhere for possible answers, no solution found, so if anyone knows what maybe going on, please help.

My iPod is an iPod Mini 6GB model (Fat32)
Both computers have pentium 3 and USB 2.0 slots (However none of them are "High-Speed", possible problem? Doubt it) and around 128mb of ram.

Cheers,
Gnu32
simplaza[hat]simplaza.net

Gnu32

<collide>

#2 Post by Gnu32 »

No answers? ;_;

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Problems involving Freezing Wakepup and iPod

#3 Post by Lobster »

Hi Gnu32 (can I call you GNU for short?)

:)

It may be that no one has your configuration or setup and therefore has no support to offer. I know an iPod as a music player but little else. I do not recall this situation coming up before so you are a pioneer.

Not even sure where to start with this . . . anyone?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#4 Post by Guest »

Send me the iPod all your computer hardware and a bottle of Jack Daniels and I might be inclined to drink the...eeer I mean fix the porblem...hic

And if you do that I have a large bridge, tower and a big white house on a harbour that has roofs that look like sails that I could sell to you at a reasonable price or at least lease\rent to you.........

Gnu32

#5 Post by Gnu32 »

Thats great =D But unfortantly i only have a bottle of ice tea over here

As for the iPod problem,i guess the iPod only works as a bootable hard drive when it's been completly formatted into a new filesystem (As found with certain experiments involving booting into native osx x86 *cough*) which i refuse to if i want to keep my music. I guess i'll stick to iPod linux =P

Unless the puppy comes to the iPod? Hmm, do puppies eat apples anyway?

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

Someone else tried this a while ago but as he could not find a computer that supported booting from USB there was no follow-up reported so we have nothing to work from.

pakt

Re: Problems involving Freezing Wakepup and iPod

#7 Post by pakt »

Gnu32 wrote:Wakepup pops up, selected the USB option and it starts scanning cdrom drives and usb ports as normal. Everything seems to go according to plan until it comes to finishing the usb scanning. It detects and lists my ipod and then nothing seems to happen when "...Scanning USB Devices..." Disappears, it just sits there, frozen.
The problem is with the Panasonic USB driver that wakepup uses. It's the best DOS USB driver around, handles USB 1.1 & 2.0, but unfortunately doesn't always work.
Gnu32 wrote:Both computers have pentium 3 and USB 2.0 slots (However none of them are "High-Speed", possible problem? Doubt it)
If the slots are not High-Speed, then they are USB 1.1, not USB 2.0. When I was testing wakepup on an old laptop with USB 1.1, I ran into a similar problem with a PNY USB stick. It wasn't detected by wakepup when connected to the built-in USB 1.1 port, but when I connected it via a USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter card (with external power adapter), wakepup had no problem with it! Might be worth a try if you can get hold of an adapter. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

In addition to what Pakt said, you might try plugging it into the rear USB ports to see if that makes any difference. I saw something somewhere which suggested that at least some USB controllers (on the motherboard) treat the front USB ports different from the rear ones.

Gnu32

#9 Post by Gnu32 »

On the computer, all ports including the rear ones, windows pops up a balloon saying the ipod is plugged into a non-highspeed 2.0 port, and when i used the live cd version, puppy recognized and was able to mount my ipod from those same ports.

Not sure about the laptop, since it just says "not plugged into a highspeed port" without a version number, but heck the live cd doesnt even boot on this shoddy laptop (When forcefully booted by wakepup, comes up with all sorts of errors).

The only thing left is to find an alternative usb dos driver or try the ipod when i get home to my computer which boots from usb and has usb 2.0 (Although that would defeat the purpouse of downloading puppy, using it abroad)