Copied Mozilla from Puppy 0.8.6, got "file doesn't exis

Using applications, configuring, problems
mouldy

Copied Mozilla from Puppy 0.8.6, got "file doesn't exis

#1 Post by mouldy »

Ok, messing around seeing if I could get versions of "light" and "mozilla 1.03" from Puppy 0.8.6 to run on Puppy 1.0.4

Copied files over expecting some dependencies might not be on newer puppy. However when I tried to run either of them, I would get error that bin file doesnt exist. Well, it exists and ROX can see it, rename it, etc. And yes I had correct and complete path to said file. Hard to diagnose when Puppy goes into denial.

#2 Post by Guest »

When did Barry migrate from uclibc to glibc ?

File not found usually means it can't find certain libs

mouldy

#3 Post by mouldy »

I thought it unlikely that they would run without error, but I got exactly the phrase "file doesnt exist" when I tried to run the binary. Never had that happen before unless I had the path wrong. Have gotten error that file couldnt be executed or error or one missing library or another. But this just says file doesnt exist like it cant find a trace of it. I mean if I make an executable blank file, it doesnt deny that it exists, it just hesitates a moment and brings up a new prompt.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

if you have an executable file that was compiled with a different version of gcc, the elf header might be different and it won't be recognized as an executable file

mouldy

#5 Post by mouldy »

If I try to run a non executable file even one labelled ".bin", I get "permission denied" error, not a "no such file or directory".

These copied files give me the "no such file or directory" response.

#6 Post by Guest »

From the 2004 puppy news around about 15 June 04
Note that the new glibc-based mandrake-9.2-based Puppy will be version 0.9.0. Thus, the entire 0.8.* range is uClibc-based, and all Puppy versions up to 0.7.9 are Redhat-8.0-based.

This is why mozilla from 0.8.6 wont work and why you get the file not found, it's to do with not being able to find the uclibc libs

mouldy

#7 Post by mouldy »

Not to beat a dead horse, but if a file is not executable under Puppy, one gets a "permission denied" error. Dont believe me, try creating and running an empty file of whatever name or try running a txt file for example... If it is executable, but there are missing dependencies, the binary runs, but aborts giving name of first dependecy it cant find.

Only if it cant find the initial binary file I want it to run (usually due to mistake in path or file name) will it return "file or directory not found". I have experienced this in past with other software, but when I look, find its a typing error, stuck an extra letter in or something. But not this time.

I have played enough with Puppy and with getting software running under Puppy to find my experiences with trying to run this old Mozilla unusual. And I guess it will remain a mystery. Running old Mozilla itself wasnt that important to spend great amount of time on. Old Mozilla 1.0.3 running on the 0.8.6 Pup wasnt any faster to surf than modern Firefox though it loaded slightly faster. Had lot more limitations though.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

uClibc has a very different shared library loading mechanism, so any executable compiled for uClibc is going to be totally broken trying to run it in the current Puppy.

#9 Post by Guest »

That's it, it's more than likely it's the shared library loader that the system can't find as it's hardcoded into the executable by the linker