Strange behavior of Puppy derivatives

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nightowl59

Strange behavior of Puppy derivatives

#1 Post by Nightowl59 »

Hi to all,

i have some questions about the behavior of some puppy derivatives.

At first i have to say that i love my bunch of puppies that i have downloaded. I tried to install them on diffeerent hdd's. My no.1 at the moment ist muppy (depending on the german language stuff provided with muppy). When i finished installing on the hdd i've got a init failure. I rebooted with the cd and found only half of the amount of needed directories. No /bin and in the /etc directory the /rc.d was missing. At the second try i answered the questions if i want to use all the packages coming with muppy with "no", installed than to the hdd and made after reboot an "upgrade" and that was solving my problem. Everthing was installed and now it runs fine on my lil' old Dell P2/366 laptop. Ok now i decided to take my Compaq Evo (I like small form factor computers), its a 1.9 Ghz P4 with 1GB on Ram and i thought Puppy should make a blast out of this PC. But after booting into the question all Packages y or n? Nothing!! Their is no Keyboard at all, at this time of booting (no kernel modules loaded).
Is there a cheatcode or something to load a specific keyb at the bootprompt or the possibility to answer the question before booting (give yes or no to all questions)??

And for Pizzapup 3.0.1 i have a keyboardproblem, too. I really like Pizzapup but after installing it on hdd i always got wrong keys. It behaves like i would always hold the laptop "Fn" key down. I get only an for e.g. "o" if i really press the Fn-Button. And in this case i can't kill the X-Server. Ctrl + Alt + Backspace and nothing happens. I tried to change keyboard to DE and UK and then back to US (because i have an US-Keyboard). I see that the kernel loads the us.keymap. No chance. Any suggestions?

This keyboardproblem i didn't get in any other Puppy i tested. (2.15ce, 2.16, Grafpup, Teenpup). Thanks for any help!!

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

The problem with Pizzapup might be that I have it run xsetnumlock to activate the numlock. At the time, I didn't realize that laptops had the numpad sharing the normal keys. Next time I won't do that.

You can disable it by editing /root/.xinitrc. That's a hidden file, so you'll have to click the "eye" icon in the toolbar to see it. If you remove the xsetnumlock line (should be line 10) and restart X, that might fix things.

As for no ctrl-alt-backspace, that was another accident. I wanted to disable Xorg's handling of ctrl-alt-del (so IceWM could handle it instead), but the method I used also nullified ctrl-alt-backspace. I've since found a better way to do it (editing inittab) so future versions won't have that problem.

I haven't used Muppy yet, but the missing directory problem makes it sound like you ran out of harddrive space. Keep in mind that if you install to the harddrive it can take twice as much space as the actual iso, because Puppy is normally compressed. A Frugal HD install stays compressed, but a Full HD install expands it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jonyo

#3 Post by jonyo »

Since startin out with linux & pup ~ 5 months ago, I've only run live cd save file to HD with vers 2.12 to 5. Ran into some kinda weird keyboard scenario at one point & never did figure out what it was about.

Nightowl59

Running out of HDD-Space?

#4 Post by Nightowl59 »

Thanks a lot for the fast reply,

now it's in the middle of the night for you and my nightshift is over. You know Nightowl's working at night. It's all about the bucks and mices.

But that running out of diskspace isn't possible. All my puppies running on 6GB disks with at least 2.5Gig for each Puppy (you know every Puppy needs its space to toll around).

My lil' old Laptop is a Dell Latitude with 128MB of Ram (i just bought 2x128MB Infinion SO-Dimm and the don't fit together into the Ramslots, shit happens) and my partitions are always a 512MB swap and 1 5Gig or 2 2.5Gig Linux partitions. And the same thing happend on my Download-PC. Oh man, i'm a pretty hardware freak. It's a AMD Geode running as an XP1900 with 1.6xx Ghz 1 Gig Ram and 160GB HDD. It is an XP 32bit Processor but needs only an average power of 14Watts!! I really like that stuff. But same thing with installation of Muppy. But it's not a big deal to make that "Upgrade"-Installtion for the second time. More important is that USB-Keyboard problem without having a Legacy module and PS/2 possibilities.

So now i have to end and make my changes in Pizzapup (turning around the slices of salame to bring that keyboard to work) thx alot again. I appreciate that, really. :D :D

Nightowl59

#5 Post by Nightowl59 »

Yeah,

my keyboard is now working properly in Pizzapup. Nice!! :D

MU

#6 Post by MU »

I did not try to install Muppy completely onto harddisk, as the frugal installation I use has several advantages.
However, I think the problem you described was typical for 006. That one was problematic even when you tried to save your settings, while you had the additional files mounted.
In 007 I changed the way the "additional files" are mounted, what solved my problems I had with harddisks.

Mark

jonyo

#7 Post by jonyo »

Just wanted to add that imo you're trying to do a lot up stuff atl one time. Best to start (simpler & basic) with things that work & then add (or move ) on from there & deal with one prob ata time. fwiw

Nightowl59

#8 Post by Nightowl59 »

Sorry MU but I did use the 007. maybe it is depending on the 2 .sfs files that has been loaded at bootup. It seems that when you load all packages and you make than a hdd-install that only the mupp007.sfs will be installed. It is fine when you know about that. And that is what i did: Installing first the basics with ¨no¨ at the bootsequence for all packages. Than making the hdd-installation. And with another boot from cd and answering ¨ja/yes¨ for all the good stuff being loaded, making another hdd-installation choosing the ¨upgrade¨ option during the installation. That will give you everything you wanted (for you computer!). And it works nicely. My DVD-Player size DownLoad-PC runs like hell.

But I still haven´t found a clou for that little USB-Keyboard-Only problem at my other PC with Muppy007. Is there no cheatcode or something to say my computer yes/no at the bootupsequence without loaded kernelmodules for the keyb??