Boot error

Using applications, configuring, problems
mjg

Boot error

#1 Post by mjg »

I got this error while trying to boot from the CD ...

Sorry, cannot start X. File/usr/x11R6/bin/x missing. If X is supposed to be installed, probably Puppy was unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr.

Any suggestions? I updated to Puppy 1.02 yesterday with IceWM.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

So, 1.0.1 was working?

mjg

#3 Post by mjg »

Yes, 1.01 was working and so was 1.02 on the first go.

mjg

#4 Post by mjg »

I tried a couple of things without success:

1) I replaced the pup001 file on my hard drive with the one from my USB stick, which was working fine, but this made no difference.

2) I deleted the pup001 file and tried to run the CD again from scratch, but received the same error message.

My PC is Windows/Suse dual boot.

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

I found the new iso finicky. Nero 6 produced a bad CD (even at 4X) and I finally burned a disk using CDBurner XP Pro at 1X that worked. Same error messages on boot.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

thoughtjourney

#6 Post by thoughtjourney »

Likewise...

I made a coaster with k3b, and gcombust from puppy 0.99 produced a cd nicely enough, but without multisession :(

When playing with the 1.02 RC, it seemed that the data would be burnt to the multisession cd only from my husband's compq laptop, but not my dell.
in the beginning was the Logos

http://thoughtjourney.aus.cc

mjg

#7 Post by mjg »

Well, that was the strangest thing. I never thought it was the CD because it had loaded properly at first and worked subsequently on two other computers.

I tried many other things before inserting the disk into the second CD drive and it worked fine.

All's well that ends well, I suppose.

danleff

#8 Post by danleff »

Some older cdrom drives do not like self burned iso files to a disk. Especially if cdrw disks are used. I have even seen various results with newer drives, namely my cdrw/dvd burner.

This issue really frustrates folks, especially if they have only one cdrom drive.

So, go slow with the burn. Most folks are tempted to burn at the higest rate that their drive allows. While this may work at times, depending on the burning software and hardware, burning at a slow spped avoids many headaches.

Use quality media. I recently bought some inexpensive HP media. many coasters here! So, make sure you have good media.

BTW, guys and gals, I could not find my article on cd burning referenced in the wiki anymore. Is it still there, or should I venture on and learn how to add my own page?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

danleff wrote: BTW, guys and gals, I could not find my article on cd burning referenced in the wiki anymore. Is it still there, or should I venture on and learn how to add my own page?
Should still be there Danleff ;)

Venture on my good man - venture on . . . :idea:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D