can't find directory to extract hash files to

Using applications, configuring, problems
Matthew T.

can't find directory to extract hash files to

#1 Post by Matthew T. »

Just had Puppy 2.16 (much less any other version) for a few days. I downloaded the zip file containing american.hash and american.hash-encoding for the Abiword spell check function. I try to extract the files to Abisuite/dictionary in user or root, but am unable to find the directory.

I'm a linux newby. Do I just not have something mounted? I'm running off the live cd with the pup_save file stored on my hard drive.

And what should the target directory for these files be, specifically?

Thanks in advance.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

i think it will work if you put the files in the hidden directory .AbiSuite in /root ... click the "eye" button at the top of the Rox file manager window to see hidden files

there should be a directory called dictionary in the .Abisuite folder ... if there isn't, right click in the .Abisuite folder to create the dictionary folder

put the hash files in the dictionary folder

or put them in /usr/share/AbiSuite-2.4/dictionary/

PhilCoo

#3 Post by PhilCoo »

Place your dictionary file to /root/.AbiSuite/dictionary/
Note the "." at the start of the name ".Abisuite", the folder is hidden so you need to show all files to see it.Click the eye icon to show all files.

Phil

Matthew T.

#4 Post by Matthew T. »

I'm clicking on the eye and I see the hidden files now. However, once I open Rox filer file manager, click on the eye, get into the dotpups-downloads directory, click on the zip icon containing the hash files, select one of the files within, select Extract from the menu, click on Choose to select the directory to extract to, I run into the same problem. The hidden files are still hidden when I'm browsing through the Choose menu seeking the right directory to extract to.

I can see the dictionary directory in Abisute now, I just can't get the hash files to it.

PhilCoo

#5 Post by PhilCoo »

I would try this way:
Extract the zip file to your download folder then open two lots of rox-filer, one showing your download folder and the other showing the .abisuite/dictionary folder,click the file with middle button on mouse and drag to the desired folder,choose copy when offered.

Matthew T.

#6 Post by Matthew T. »

I don't have a middle mouse button, just a wheel. The files don't seem want to be dragged by the left hand button.

If someone could explain how to use the copy function that pops up after right clicking the file, perhaps I could use that to transfer the files.

PhilCoo

#7 Post by PhilCoo »

When you right-click the file and select file "name of file" then "copy" a box pops up with the current path, overwrite this to the path you need to copy to, ie the the destination folder /root.abisuite/dictionary.

Matthew T.

#8 Post by Matthew T. »

PhilCoo, I re-read your next to last reply and followed the directions, extracting into the dotpups_download file, rather than just accessing the hash files by clicking on the zip icon already in the download file, and everything worked like a champ.

Given time, I may learn to follow simple directions.

Thank you very much for your patience.

PhilCoo

#9 Post by PhilCoo »

Glad to know it worked for you. 8)