Muppy Hard Disk Installation and Mysterious error codes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Skimmel

Muppy Hard Disk Installation and Mysterious error codes

#1 Post by Skimmel »

I'm trying to install Muppy to my hard disk in a Linux partition with a full installation. After assorted tries, I get down to a message that reads like this:
Now executing 'init' script on initial_ramdisk
(Note: initial_ramdisk is retained and in /initrd after boot up)

Loading kernale modules... done
Looking for puppy in hdd1... done
using personal dara file pup_save.3fs which is on partition hdd1done2...
loading swap partition /dev/hdd2...done

ERROR, cannot find Puppy on 'idehd' boot media.
Pupmode=9 Pdev1=hdd2
Exited to initial_ramdisk (/dev/hdd2) commandline...
(The linux-guru can now debug, 'e3' editor is available)

/bin/sh : can't access tty; job control turned off
#
The line with "which in on partition hdd1done2... has the word "done" in a different colour so it looks like done was written on top of something else.

I've found other references in the forum where something like this has happened but I didn't find a clear resolution.

Can someone tell what it means that I've done wrong and how I can fix it?

Nightowl59

#2 Post by Nightowl59 »

Hi Skimmel,

something like this happened to me, too. And i think it's only a problem that occurs with a "Normal, full HDD" installation. On my laptop and the desktop i got an init-failure. I fixed it with a installation in two steps. And it doesn't depend on ram- or diskspace. :( :?:

Try this:
Wipe your hdd to get rid of this crappy stuff on it. You can make this with an gparted-iso or within Muppy from CD. I installed as for the swap a 500MB partition at first, that became hda1. Because that is the fastest parted of a hdd. And than the primary linux-part, what became hda2. Remember the boot flag for hda2

Boot Muppy and answer the question for all applications with NO.

When Muppy is running make the first NORMAL installation. After the install is finished and grub is already installed (my choice is always "in MBR"), reboot. Maybe you will try a test-boot if it runs ok.

If it runs fine, than run Muppy from CD a second time. But this time answer the question for all applications with YES. When it runs, call the Universal Puppy installer a second time. It will ask you if like to do either an "Upgrade" or "Wipe" the disk. Choose UPGRADE. It will copy only the missing, but nice stuff like themes and everything. You can close the grubinstaller from the updatescript because it is already installed from the first time.

I have seen, when i made the first misleaded installation after booting from CD, that nearly half of the needed directories where missing. Even the rc.d directory in /etc, so than i knew why i got the init-failure, because their was neither an init-file nor a directory.

And now hopefully your Muppy is running, enjoy it. :lol:

Greetings from Germany
Uwe

mavromilos

#3 Post by mavromilos »

Following your instructions I managed to fully hdd install muppy 007.
Thank You very much

Skimmel

Two Step the answer

#4 Post by Skimmel »

Thanks Uwe.

Apparently the key is the two step installation you suggested with the critical element being the minimal Muppy first step followed by the more extensive upgrade. I skipped the part about rearranging the partitions despite the apparent advantages and it worked like a charm.

It almost looks as though Muppy gets confused when you try to install the extended version first.