USB CD burner-ok with 1.02 not 1.04 (or 1.05beta)

Booting, installing, newbie

USB CD burner-ok with 1.02 not 1.04 (or 1.05beta)

#1 Post by Guest »

My USB cd burner worked with 1.0.2 but now won't with newer versions.
Wizard lets me id the usb drive as the burner, but the assignment doesn't "stick". That is, when I run the wizard again, the burner assignment is blank. Known problem?

Thanks

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Have you done an upgrade or new install with the later versions, if it is an upgrade you may have some issues with older settings if it is a new install you may have to look at the scsi emulation part of the wizard setup.

#3 Post by Guest »

Always download new .iso of livecd and run from that.

#4 Post by Guest »

No pup001 file on HD, so it's a new start with no memory each time.
Where is (what's the name of) the cd/dvd set up wizard source file.
Thanks!

#5 Post by Guest »

I found the cdwizard scripts, but I'm afraid I'm over my head.
Found the following as the last sentence in the wizard help:

"USB CD/DVD drives are currently not supported by Puppy scripts."

But that's not quite true, since I can read from the USB CD, but I can't burn.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

Were you using the DVD burner to burn CDs in Puppy 1.0.2, if so you might not realise that 1.0.2 uses the 2.6 kernel whereas later versions use the 2.4 kernel.
If you do a search of the forum you will find that there was a lot of discussion regarding 1.0.2 and CD burners, look in the multi-session section.

New Puppy Fan

About 1.0.5.

#7 Post by New Puppy Fan »

By the way... As long as there were mentioned kernels 2.4 and 2.6 (1.0.2 PL). What kernel the new Pyppy 1.0.5 release is based on? I assume that on 2.4. So how is possible to upgrade 1.0.2 version ( i.e. i686) to the newer stuff like Open office, Puppy Unleashed, etc.?
New Puppy Fan

New Puppy Fan

About 1.0.5.

#8 Post by New Puppy Fan »

By the way... As long as there were mentioned kernels 2.4 and 2.6 (1.0.2 PL). What kernel the new Pyppy 1.0.5 release is based on? I assume that on 2.4. So how is possible to upgrade 1.0.2 version ( i.e. i686) to the newer stuff like Open office, Puppy Unleashed, etc.?
New Puppy Fan

raffy

No pup001

#9 Post by raffy »

No pup001 file on HD
If you are using WindowsXP, unzip pup001.zip to drive C:\ first. And do not choose 2 or 3 (v. 1.03 or v. 1.04) key pressed at boot time.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

#10 Post by Guest »

thanks for the tip, but am running old hardware with winNT.
Major reason puppy is so useful at the moment is that NT never has and never will recognize USB ports.

Seem to have cd burner running with 1.0.5 now! First run customized cd wizard script with first if-fi check commented out to run the new wizard instead of the old. Then in burn tab of combust, make sure 0,0,0 is entered as the burner address (got from cdrecord -scanbus). Then IT WORKS!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

For what it's worth, Puppy has an another CD/DVD burning program, called dvd+rw-tools. This thread discusses it.