Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Hello World! (Puppy's great, but I do have problems)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
coke

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2005, 01:28    Post_subject:  Hello World! (Puppy's great, but I do have problems)  

Hello! I-m typing this on my brand new supah doopah puppy linux, and I-m so happy, is running almost flawless on my old P166Mhz 96Mb Ram 6Gig HD...

It was very good from the beginin althougth i missed the mouse config and had to re do that, right now the issues I have are:

/My keyboard is miss configured (I have a latin americn keyboard and haven-t found the option tht make it work)

- I have to activate sound manually everytime I reboot

-Can-t play Mp3 (both players throw an error)

-I cant find a way to open power point files

-mozilla odly close itself when viewing some pages

beside that, everything is beautiful, im on icewm with the XP theme and work very very well, had downloaded opera browser and it works very quick on this old computer. It actually is an usable computer again...

Well, this is just to let you know that another puppy has been adopted Smile

woof!

(any help is welcomed, Smile )

Laughing Laughing
Ian
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2005, 01:50    Post_subject:  

If you download the Chubby Puppy it contains Open Office which has a program, impressss that will open MS Power Point files perfectly.

If yo go to the main Puppy page at www.goosee.com/puppy and go to the news or download page you will find where to download Chubby Puppy.

It is around 60M download.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2005, 02:59    Post_subject: Re: Hello World!  

Quote:
Hello! I-m typing this on my brand new supah doopah puppy linux, and I-m so happy, is running almost flawless on my old P166Mhz 96Mb Ram 6Gig HD...

Hi Coke,
Good News, Welcome to the Kennels,

Quote:
/My keyboard is miss configured (I have a latin americn keyboard and haven-t found the option tht make it work)

Use the start menu / setup / wizard for keyboard and mouse
Also download my welcome prog (under Misc)
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPupsContributions
- that will give you quick acess to essential resources for a while . . .

Quote:
-Can-t play Mp3 (both players throw an error)

shame - ALSA (better sound support) is coming - what sound hardware do you have?
there is a Puppy probe program that will tell you . . . Start / Control panel / Xproc

Quote:
-mozilla odly close itself when viewing some pages

Again the new Mozilla is more stable (we are using a nightly build - Beta)

Quote:
beside that, everything is beautiful, im on icewm with the XP theme and work very very well, had downloaded opera browser and it works very quick on this old computer. It actually is an usable computer again...

make sure you get your free Opera registration code - opera.com
(they are having a party) Ice XP themes are nice - try fluxbox too - very minimalist

Laughing Laughing

Edited_time_total
John Doe

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2005, 03:18    Post_subject: Re: Hello World!  

coke wrote:

welcome. It's great isn't it Smile
saintlangton

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2005, 15:52    Post_subject: Re: Hello World!  

coke wrote:

(any help is welcomed, Smile )

Laughing Laughing

Hi coke

I don't know all that much about puppy or linux in general but two things you can try to get things to activate at startup:

1) edit rc.local to contain the commands you want to run during boot (it's in /.etc/rc.d/ )

2) Install the Start-Items Dotpup here. Create a script (right click in a Rox window and select "new" - "Script" then right cli on the icon created and selct "File" - "Open as text" and type comands in there. Save the script then drag the script to the Start-Items icon.

Hope this helps

Chris
coke

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2005, 15:31    Post_subject: Thanks!!  

Thanks for all your help,

Now I have my keybord well configured!

Still can't play mp3, the only app that sounds is gaim, I have a ISA soundblaster AWE 32 and I activace it doing modprobe sb

Now I have registered free Opera thanks to Lobster!

And I'm donwloading chubby puppy to have open office.

Any way, there are still things I want to do and I don't know how:

-Install and run fluxbox (i've downloaded a dotpup that says something about being a fluxbox menu, but i don't know what to do with it), i hope this WM to speed up a little the interface

-Change the "shortcuts" of the desktop, I would like to add access to opera there and other things such as my-documents folder, and delete other things.

-Find a way to edit php files, Beaver just doesn't open them, bluefish is too old and doesn't have php syntax color, leaf pad is too simple and had problems saving files with strange (,,) characters, and MP... MP highlith php but it is console and can't use the mouse, so in a big file it'll be surely a problem.

Another question, how good is the AbbiWord-M$ Word compatibility?

Thank you very much for all of your time.

Coke Very Happy
coke

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2005, 15:43    Post_subject: about sound  

I've discovered that flash sound also works.

just went to http://music.podshow.com and could listen correctly with the flash little buttons.

weird
coke_

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep 2005, 14:17    Post_subject: Auto Answer  

coke wrote:
Thanks for all your help,
-Install and run fluxbox (i've downloaded a dotpup that says something about being a fluxbox menu, but i don't know what to do with it), i hope this WM to speed up a little the interface

-Change the "shortcuts" of the desktop, I would like to add access to opera there and other things such as my-documents folder, and delete other things.

-Find a way to edit php files, Beaver just doesn't open them, bluefish is too old and doesn't have php syntax color, leaf pad is too simple and had problems saving files with strange (,,) characters, and MP... MP highlith php but it is console and can't use the mouse, so in a big file it'll be surely a problem.

I haven't noticed before the DotPup wiki page...

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPups

Dumb of me... there i've downloaded fluxbox

To change the shorcuts i just had to drag icons to it Smile haven't noticed because of the strangeness of being an always windows user, widnows I think is smoother to drag icons and left click actions.

To edit php files I've found Nedit in the dotpups page, is great!

Wink
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum