Grafpup website issues

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nathan F

Grafpup website issues

#1 Post by Nathan F »

The main website grafpup.com is currently down because of some confusion about where the dns records have gone to, but any and all files can still be downloaded from grafpup.org. I plan to get something more substantial up at grafpup.org very soon, at which time that will be the "official" Grafpup website.

Also, due to my desire to spen less time on website administration and more on coding and my family, I have had a new forum set up on linuxquestions for Grafpup, which will now be the official Grafpup support forum.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... y.php?f=77

I haven't had a place to announce it because of the website issues, but rc1 is now imminent. I was going to go straight from beta to release but there have been more changes than I intended.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

jcagle

#2 Post by jcagle »

Did you get my message about the problem I was having with the hard drive install?

I should mention, Grafpup 2 beta wasn't installing GRUB correctly either.

jcagle

#3 Post by jcagle »

Oh, also I checked the partition, and it did indeed put a FAT filesystem on the partition when I told the installation program I wanted ext3.

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

Sorry, Joey. I did get the message but I've been busy much of the day trying to get the website straightened out a bit. We do now have a fairly complete site up at grafpup.org, and the old one is up on my backup server which should now be reolving grafpup.com. But grafpup.org is where things will probably stay (although I will probably keep the domain grafpup.com).

There have been several people who had problems with hard drive installations. I think in most cases they had sata hard drives, which were confusing the installer because it thought they were flash drives. That could explain why it wanted to format it to fat. I have just yesterday finished modifying Dougal's latest version of the Puppy installer to cope with the differences in Grafpup (and to say that it is installing Grafpup, not Puppy) and what I have will be out with rc1 shortly.

Hey wait, rc1 is already on the server but I haven't announced it yet! I better get to it...

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

jcagle

#5 Post by jcagle »

My hard drive is ATA, not SATA. So that can't be it.

msumner

#6 Post by msumner »

Hi Nathan, the website is looking good. Cant post comments though, as I get URL not found.
Mike

jcagle

#7 Post by jcagle »

Downloading RC1 now, will let you know if I have problems installing this to the hard drive.

Nathan F

#8 Post by Nathan F »

My hard drive is ATA, not SATA. So that can't be it.
SATA is merely one kind of ATA, the other being PATA. Anyway, yes that can be the problem. I think it should work for you in rc1.
Cant post comments though, as I get URL not found
Ah, a side effect of moving the database tables to the new server, which is configured a little differently. I had to go back to the old style url's, which don't rely on mod_rewrite. Anyway, you should be able to post comments now.

The whole move was kind of nightmarish, truthfully. I only have access to one database on the new server, and grafpup.com was using five. So I had to inser all the tables into one database. BUt it's working (or at least most of it is).

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

jcagle

#9 Post by jcagle »

Isn't SATA a newer type though? Mine is the older type. It's the type that was around before I ever even heard of SATA.

I select ATA (not SATA) and it detects it just fine. It just formats it with the wrong filesystem.

I have most of the ISO downloaded. I'm on dial-up so it takes a little time, and it evidently disconnected while I was away today, during the download process.

jcagle

#10 Post by jcagle »

This isn't working for me Nathan.

First, I do a normal install with RC1. It still wants to coexist instead.

I try running GParted. It doesn't work right. It won't take care of formatting the filesystem.
mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1
sh: nice: command not found
In fact, I tried making other partitions with other filesystems. That was a no-go as well.

Well, I ran cfdisk to do the partitions instead. Reboot, and then try to install it, hoping the installation will take care of formatting anyway. Get this wonderful message...
Error: could not mount hda1. Exiting.
I really like Grafpup Beta 2, but the installation is not so great. I've got a PATA hard drive, so I guess it should be working fine. But it's not.

I'm kind of wanting the old installation back. It was all text, but it worked...

jcagle

#11 Post by jcagle »

ok...decided to run mkfs from the command line...it appears to have worked. Now trying the installation...

jcagle

#12 Post by jcagle »

OK, I finally got RC1 installed.

My summary:
installation fails to do a normal install when previous version is already installed, even if you want to overwrite the previous version. You must format the hard drive, which requires going to the command line, because this installation does not attempt to format the hard drive, at least on my computer, for some reason.

I will probably try installing this on the computer my brother gave me too, but I've got to get ready for work.

jcagle

#13 Post by jcagle »

I should also add that if I want to have two partitions on the drive, the only partition that will show up when I want to install is hda2, so what if I wanted to install to hda1? I ended up having to delete hda2 in order for it to offer me hda1.

Also, kind of a similar thing happening with pmount. Apparently, there is a partition on my external hard drive that is normally inaccessable (I may have unintentionally created this a while back, as I was doing some experiments with installing Linux to it, haha). Well, with Pmount, this partition that is normally inaccessable is the only one that is acessable on the drive. I have to run MUT instead. It works fine. Fortunately, you're keeping MUT in there, so that's good.

Nathan F

#14 Post by Nathan F »

The problem with gparted should hopefully be fixable just by adding the "nice" utility. This is part of the coreutils package and is only 43K so I just added it to the development tree. I'll attach it in gzip form here, so you can just drop it in /usr/bin and decompress it "gunzip nice.gz, then make sure it is executable).

I'll do some more testing with the installer but remember this one is not my baby. I'm kind of lost in the code as it is right now, all I really did was change the variables that are different between Puppy and Grafpup and also change the names from Puppy to Grafpup. There is a thread specifically for the installer somewhere on this forum, and these issues probably aught to be brought up there.

The mystery partition could possibly mean an error in the partition table? Not sure just yet.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

jcagle

#15 Post by jcagle »

It very well could be an error in the partition table. As I mentioned, I played around with Linux on it, and messing with the partitions was part of the process, haha.

jcagle

#16 Post by jcagle »

Also, at least I figured out a way to get around the installer issue.

And of course, as a friendly reminder to all those who are upgrading their OS, be sure to make a backup of everything you don't want to loose before upgrading. :D

Despite the trouble I had with the installation, Grafpup 2 RC 1 is running beautifully.