The Puppy Challenge

Promote Puppy !
Lobster
Official Crustacean

The Puppy Challenge

#1 Post by Lobster »

At least one of our kennel members is affected by the flooding and storms in America and has asked for our prayers. So put your paws together if you have that calling . . .

Now then . . . [ahem . . .] The Puppy Challenge

I like to look at other emerging and developing Linuxes. Really as a comparison and to see what can be learnt.

Myah Linux is an over 300 meg live CD
http://myah.mymyah.com/

Early days for them . . .
- pretty good for such an early system
- connected to the Internet on boot up on my system
- looks superb
- speeded up as I used (programs went into memory)
- easy and pleasing simple layout (one program to do each task)
- based on slax - slackware - this is a very stable and trusted base system - Vector Linux where we compiled Puppy for a while is based on Slack Linux

Even though they are very different - this distro reminded me of Beatrix (which uses Gnome as the interface - and is designed for Joe Average) Beatrix is far more ready for everyday use.
I could not find how to up my resolution (one of my two test tasks - and it is possible this has not been implemented yet or has to be done from the command line - (spare me).
Now I have heard arguments for one program per task for Puppy (one of the Myah enactments) AND it is likely that the future Puppy Sourceror will enable us to set up our Puppy with our one program selections.
However up to now we have had redundancy and it has been a good thing . . .
For example the number of text editors in Puppy . . . I only really use leafpad and txt files are opened by default with this rock solid working editor. The other editors are very different in the tasks they do. Beaver colour codes. Other editors are console editors or HTML / tcl specific.
We have two window managers; well I have had JWM not work - now through inclusion and feedback and Barry recompiling and getting back to the author - it seems rock solid (in Puppy 1.0.5 Alpha r2)

You have to have a feel for a distro - what is the head developer and the team like? Are they listening, are they helpful. Are they going and likely to continue going in the right direction?

I like the feel of Myah but it is too early for me to use. I like having my main icons on the bottom of the screen. My other test Myah passed - it just connected to the Internet. Nothing for me to set up.

Anyway gonna pass this on to Myah. And offer them the friendly challange? What can we learn from each other?

Who else has been experimenting?

The Puppy friendly challange to use another system and review - is a two way what can we learn, what can they learn process

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Last night I downloaded Knoppix 4.0, a 3+GB DVD. I haven't burned it and booted it yet, but I expect Puppy to run rings around it.

doopdoop

#3 Post by doopdoop »

Played around with Slax, Light Gui edition, a little bit. It is a slackware based live cd-distro.
Pros: a lot cleaner and more robust way of installing extensions, e.g. simply cusomize your CD by dropping modules to an directory on the CD and they are installed at the startup, nce integrated interface
Cons: not that much choice in the standard ~180MB iso.

It is as fast/slow as you espect it from a distro which does not load completely into the ram.
What I really want to try out are the boot scripts - they seem well constructed of and designed to turn almost any distro from your hard disk into a live cd. Will try this on my new lean gentoo system.

kcin

#4 Post by kcin »

Hello all,

... I just ran across this "Myah" Linux (mentioned above by Lobster) - after seeing a review link about it in the left column of Distrowatch over the weekend.

Their website looks really nice, albeit unfinished - lots of info and screenshots about their included apps and games, and a section for Myah wallpapers - the OS itself looks interesting, though I haven't tried it yet - Lobster, in his above post, mentioned it was slow... ( not surprising, most everything is slow compared to Puppy).

I like the idea of having a Wallpaper Page just for our ownOS - A Puppy Wallpaper exchange site... Perhaps that is somthing we can adopt from them and start a Puppy Wallpaper page somewhere, where Pups everywhere can upload and share their favorite wallpaper finds and creations...

Anyway, folks can check out the Myah page at:

http://mymyah.com/

They have blurbs about Puppy under their Linux Center page, in the "USB" and "Live-CD" sections, and speak very highly of Puppy there.

(Lobster - it may be time for another look at this OS) - Have you had any feedback or communication from them on your previous contact seeking to have us learn from one another? If not, maybe it's time to approach them once again...?

As far as the learning from one another goes, I think we could start by taking a few lessons from their really nicely done website, and integrating some of those ideas into our marvelously eclectic PuppyWeb family of sites and pages! I'd love to hear other's thoughts on that.

Best regards,

kcin

puppian

#5 Post by puppian »

kcin wrote:Hello all,

... I just ran across this "Myah" Linux (mentioned above by Lobster) - after seeing a review link about it in the left column of Distrowatch over the weekend.

Their website looks really nice, albeit unfinished - lots of info and screenshots about their included apps and games, and a section for Myah wallpapers - the OS itself looks interesting, though I haven't tried it yet - Lobster, in his above post, mentioned it was slow... ( not surprising, most everything is slow compared to Puppy).

I like the idea of having a Wallpaper Page just for our ownOS - A Puppy Wallpaper exchange site... Perhaps that is somthing we can adopt from them and start a Puppy Wallpaper page somewhere, where Pups everywhere can upload and share their favorite wallpaper finds and creations...
You may like this one :)
http://stet-vip.net/puppian/phpfusion/php-files/

The template used can be customized to two columns or three and the panel can be customized to show different things (news, shoutbox, etc) too. This demo site is based on php-fusion (a CMS for website authoring). I haven't recommended it a lot because I don't like the way it organize articles (documentation). They have many mods available for download, maybe there's one that improve this?

All its other features are very good, and there's a photo gallery pre-installed too (for CMSimple, another CMS, the photo gallery can be installed as an addon)

For login information and more read
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3339
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005