HOW TO : wireless LAN

Booting, installing, newbie
Pinck

HOW TO : wireless LAN

#1 Post by Pinck »

Hey.

Just wondering if someone could post a "from the beginning" walkthrough for setting up a wireless NIC in puppy.

For me, when I'm trying out a new ditro its the first thing that I need to do as I have no other NIC.

Thanks in advance!
rlrrlrll

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#2 Post by nduanetesh »

Hi,

See the thread here. If I ever get it sorted out, I'll write a simple step by step howto. In the meantime, there's a link about halfway through that thread that might help you quite a bit.

Good luck.

ND

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

Depends on what wireless NIC that you have. I have a Ralink working right now. Wish that I had the time to write one. The build using ndiswrapper is dependent on what chipset is on your card and if ndiswrapper supports the card, using the windows drivers.

I have a how-to on my web site, but not for Puppy yet. I guess I should work on this next.

Puppy has ndiswrapper, but you need a build of ndiswrapper with the windows drivers from another distro.

This was mentoned before on the old forum. If someone wants to collaborate with me, we could put it on the wiki, if it already has not been done.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Pinck

thanks

#4 Post by Pinck »

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I run Fedora Core 3 so I can get those ndiswrapper outputted file from there. Question being though, where would those files be located generally?
rlrrlrll

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

I sent a PM to John this am. He replied and made a good point. What Puppy needs is a good script to do this.

A basic version of ndiswrapper is in Puppy. But, the driver build needs to be done in another distro, then the driver build files transferred to Puppy.

In the old forum, there was a lot of discussion about this. With a lot of help, I finally got it going. What you need to know is;

1. What exact card (make and model) and version do you have?

2. Does ndiswrapper support the card? The ndiswrapper has a page on supported cards, with reader input on cards that they got to work.

3. If so, are you using encription, such as WEP or WPA?

4. Do you have the Win XP or Win 2000 drivers that came with the card. these would be used to have ndiswrapper set up the drivers, if ndiswrapper supports them.

If you have the card working now in Fedora, the driver files would be located in /etc/ndiswrapper. This is the directory that you would copy to puppy, in /etc.

I wish that I could remember where, but someone wrote a simple how-to on this, I believe on the old forum.

Anyway, let's see if there is interest in doing a how-to, which I would be willing to participate in.

I really have to start writing notes!
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Lobster
Official Crustacean

How to How To

#6 Post by Lobster »

:)

Like most active users of the Wiki I keep on eye on recent changes and recent comments.

A How to placed in the comments will turn up and be added to the main wiki.

If wanting to to start a new wiki page goto a link page (could be anywhere - but somewhere linked might be good)
  • Click on edit (bottom of page)

add a link like this [[AGoodRelatedName]]

Save

click on the link

now edit that page
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PCMCIA
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D