Problem Upgrading Full HD 2.14 Install --> 2.16

Using applications, configuring, problems
ohyes

Problem Upgrading Full HD 2.14 Install --> 2.16

#1 Post by ohyes »

How to upgrade from 2.14 Full HD Install to 2.16 ?

Cheers
Last edited by ohyes on Tue 29 May 2007, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

lluamco

#2 Post by lluamco »

Using the universal puppyinstaller. It detects there is an earlier version installed in the hard disk and prompts for upgrade or clean install. Choose upgrade. It worked flawlessly for me.
Hope it helps.

ohyes

#3 Post by ohyes »

Thanks lluamco exactly what I thought but...

I tried booting from 2.16.1 Cd but when I go to puppy universal installer I see no option to upgrade..only option given is for a super floppy install :?

I guess thats not good...

ohyes

#4 Post by ohyes »

Just tried a 2.15 CD and still cant see an upgrade option..

This could mean I have to wipe the Hard disk to upgrade/install 2.16

When I start puppy universal installer I pick the hard disk then it shows no information about the drive and only info about a superfloppy install.

Puppy is not detecting something, but what is it ? could it be fixed

lluamco

#5 Post by lluamco »

What kind of hard disk partitions do you have?

In my case, the universal puppy installer did not find
extended partitions, where my previous puppy was installed. I solved the problem using Dougal's version
of puppyinstaller, which I found searching this forum.

ohyes

#6 Post by ohyes »

OK my partitions are..as reported by Gparted

/dev/hda1 ext3
/dev/hda2 extended
/dev/hda5 swap

Will try dougals installer.

ohyes

#7 Post by ohyes »

Just had a thought ..installing dougal's updated installer not going to help me as Im booting from the 2.16.1 livecd using it's installer...so back to square one..

Looks like Im gonna have to wipe 2.14 to be able to run 2.16.1 :(

ohyes

#8 Post by ohyes »

Y'know it's not so bad..Im typing this from a remastered puppy 2.14 ISO on a CD I just created with dougals enhanced remaster tool...fantastic Thx dougal et al twas so easy !

Now it's not such a loss if I have to wipe the drive clean to go to 2.16.

I also assume that with this remastered 2.14 ISO I can re-install it if necessary to the hard drive...in the event 2.16.1 does not work for me..
can anyone confirm ?

Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Could you edit your posts to include links to Dougal's tools? Thanks. :)

Also this may not be a good time to bring it up, but there is at least one other way to use Puppy that makes upgrading a snap, and protects your data as well. I have in mind booting Puppy from a CD (including a remastered CD), with a save file on the hard disk drive. When you boot a CD with a newer version of Puppy, upgrading is automatic. Sometimes things are changed that you didn't want changed, so backup your save file before bootiing the new CD.

You could also run Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD, with a partition on the hdd for keeping stuff that you don't want to keep on the DVD.

Finally, I'd like to point out that dividing the hdd into a "system" partition for Puppy and applications, and other partitions to keep stuff in, takes some of the worry out of upgrading. If the "system" partition is borked, at least you don't lose the data in the other partitions.

ohyes

#10 Post by ohyes »

Flash,

Thx for your post

I never did install any of dougal's tools, the remaster tool is already in 2.14's menu.

You made some good points, and what Im learning from those and from what Ive experienced is that Puppy is really very flexible when it comes to installation.

Most likely will learn the other methods as I go..Im having more fun than I should playing with puppy installs..I should settle at some point to actually enjoy using..but I probably wont !

Cheers