Puppy can't use Xircom RBM56G Cardbus Modem

sanjoeel

Puppy can't use Xircom RBM56G Cardbus Modem

#1 Post by sanjoeel »

Hi everyone. First, let me say that I am pretty much a linux noob. But, I am learning fast and currently use Ubuntu as my sole desktop OS, so I'm not a TOTAL noob hahaha. :lol: I am trying to revive my old IBM Thinkpad 380XD and it's sole purpose will be a dial-up web surfer. It's for my mom, and she can only get dial-up where she lives (middle of nowhere). At the suggestion of the good folks over at the ubuntu forums I have installed Puppy on this dinosaur. I do want to say that it was a very painless install and the OS seems to run very fast and looks great. However, I can't get it to dial up. I have a Xircom RBM56G Cardbus modem. Can you guys please help me get this set up to dial-up to the net? I (and especially my mom) would be very grateful. :D

mmm

#2 Post by mmm »

Sanjoeel,

I can't help you with this one other than say that your modem should work with Puppy. See the following thread.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18068

I have a similar modem REM56G-100. I just used the modem wizard selected /dev/ttyS3, and used Gkdial to set up a connection (connection name, phone number, user name, password).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

mmm

sanjoeel

#3 Post by sanjoeel »

Thanks, mmm. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have run the wiz and tried every port, even the ones that don't detect a modem, and still nothing. This is driving me crazy. :(

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

I have a RBM56G and after chosing ttyS1 it dials up. As mentioned on other thread, it does have couple quirks but no problem after fresh install via the wizard.

I wonder if you are having some problem with PCMCIA cardbus rather than the card, assuming you know the card to be good. Have you tried any other PCMCIA cards? I used to have an ancient P-1 AST laptop with an unusual pcmcia bus. Puppy with 2.4 kernel didnt support it and Barry never got around to compiling support into the 2.4 kernel though it was available. DamnSmall had version with support compiled into it. I was just never real fond of Damn Small. Puppy with 2.6 kernel had pcmcia support, but for whatever reason the video chip then caused problems. Screen getting faded so upgraded to a "modern" P-2 laptop where everything works.

sanjoeel

#5 Post by sanjoeel »

Well, I ran Damn Small and can't dial up either. It's possible that there's a problem with the card or the cardbus. Is there a way to determine this? . It worked in the past with no problems. Is there anyway I can test it or something? When I try to dial up I don't even hear it trying to establish a connection, and the little green lights don't light up. I have not tried any other cards yet.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Check if the PCMCIA system recognises your device with these 2 commands -

cardctl status
cardctl ident

Also try resetting the PCMCIA interface, as explained here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1707#31707

And I see some vague references on the web that the Xircom RBM56G is supported by the serial_cs module. I suggest you run "lsmod" to see if this module is loaded. If not, try to manually load it with "modprobe serial_cs".

sanjoeel

#7 Post by sanjoeel »

Thanks a lot mate, I'll check on it tomorrow.

sanjoeel

#8 Post by sanjoeel »

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. OK, after resetting the PCMCIA interface it sees the card: cardctl status output:
Socket 0:
no card
Socket 1:
3.3V CardBus card
function 0: [ready]

Then I loaded the serial_cs module.

re-ran the connection wizard and it detected a modem at ttyS2
added my connection and used PAP, SUCCESS!
I am connected to the net via dial up. THANK YOU GUYS. Puppy is great! My mom has a laptop to surf with! Thanks again for everyones' help, especially tempestuous!
-Jason