Can I run from USB without HDD? (Solved with syslinux)

Booting, installing, newbie
Swank1

Can I run from USB without HDD? (Solved with syslinux)

#1 Post by Swank1 »

Is it possible to run PL 1.0.4 off of a USB flash drive without a hard drive? I have been trying this with my VIA MII10000 motherboard (which supports USB boot) but I can't get it for the life of me.

I used Puppy through the LiveCD, followed the USB installation instructions in "Setup" but now when I try to boot I get a "Disk Boot Failure". I am using a Corsair 512MB Voyager drive, so I am pretty sure that it is not the problem...

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Try changing your boot options in the BIOS to boot either USB-ZIP or SCSI, if you have these options.

Swank1

#3 Post by Swank1 »

I tried USB-ZIP, but I will try SCSI now. It seems like the drive is not being read properly- it is not being recognized as a bootable device.

Does I need to make any special files or changes? Like the equivalent of a boot.ini?

raffy

syslinux

#4 Post by raffy »

This has been discussed many times - the sys command should do it. Try searching for "syslinux" in the forum.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Swank1

#5 Post by Swank1 »

Yup, the newest version of syslinux did it.

I just got syslinux ( http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/ ) ran the .exe file on my Windows system. Version 3.09 worked me me.

Windows "Start" > Run > "syslinux.exe x:" where x is your USB disk. It should work after that if you boot the device as a USB-ZIP.

Thanks all!

=====
www.xyzcomputing.com

miamuy

#6 Post by miamuy »

:D will be fixed on next release? had the same problem & it's quite frustrating for a lazy new comer like me :D luckily i learned how to use forums :lol: