NFS-Puppy-1.0.4

News, happenings

NFS-Puppy-1.0.4

#1 Post by Guest »

Ok as previous release but including all files to export and mount NFS shares..as well as a slight fix for XFree....nothing major just a fix for a symlink

/etc/rc.d/rc.local has some commented lines for setting up a wireless card supported by the madwifi driver and commented lines to run nfs startup scripts

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/NFS-1.0.4/cd-puppy.iso

Another note......on initial boot you can stop the configure script by ctrl-c and type...this will also work with the previous release

#X -configure

This allows X to write a config file that you can copy to /etc/X11/XF86Config

#cp /root/XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config

#xwin

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Have placed the news here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LatestNews
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 11 Jun 2006, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

keenerd

#3 Post by keenerd »

Could you give a few more details, for those who want to repair your previous release? I'm 60Mb into the iso. If its just a symlink and some config files, I can manually correct them. The NFS corrections are probably beyond me, but what changed for XFree and Madwifi?

Thanks.

#4 Post by Guest »

Just that the

/var/lib/xkb & /var/lib/xsm directories were missing

if you add

Code: Select all

/bin/mkdir /var/lib/xsm
/bin/mkdir /var/lib/xkb
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local it will be cool

Not a real big deal

And on first boot when rc.local is created it just has some lines in it as comments to make getting a wireless card going....just more or less to save some typing

keenerd

#5 Post by keenerd »

Got the first fb/atheros 1.0.4 working. Its quite nice. I'm holding off from attempting a HD install until I get the second fb/atheros 1.0.4 downloaded.

Running Puppy from CD, I forgot how RAM heavy it was. 45Mb (of 128) ram used, 25Mb (of 150) swap used. My HD install usually boots 9.5Mb ram, 0Mb swap. Running a swap off of flash sounds more damaging than running Puppy uncompressed, so I won't get to play with all the compressed internal CF work that's been going on. (once I can crowbar an adapter into my laptop, that is)

I've spent the last several weeks working on a combination wireless diagnostic/configuration/ap detection tool. Trying to write it all in shell script, as my first script (fun fun, my grep/string handling is still buggy). Now that I've experience wireless drivers (ndis, kernel, and 'regular') I should be able to make it much more flexible.

Bladehunter, thanks!

peppyy

#6 Post by peppyy »

I must be missing something. I get a prompt for user and pass. Is this available elsewhere now?
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

#7 Post by Guest »

I was about to exceed this month's alotted bandwidth so had to put a stop to downloads till the beginning of the new cycle

#8 Post by Guest »

Ok we are back online....no user or passwd needed

peppyy

#9 Post by peppyy »

Thanks, I will go get it :D
Puppy Linux...
It just works!