GRAFPUP 2 RC2 - WI-FI, intel ipw3945 problem - solved -

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
msumner

GRAFPUP 2 RC2 - WI-FI, intel ipw3945 problem - solved -

#1 Post by msumner »

Hi guys, hope someone can help me out. I have been using Puppy since January, starting with 2.13, and one of the things that made it so attractive was that it was the first distro I tried that supported my wifi. I really like the way Grafpup 2 is put together, but for some reason, even though it is similar to puppy, I have never been able to get the wifi to work. Going back a couple of releases, before the new kernel was introduced, the driver was there and the os could see the router but I could not get online. Since moving to the new kernel, there is no driver and modprobe does not work. I dont know whether the module will not compile, or what. I don't know if the module has to be included in the kernel when the kernel is compiled or whether it can be added after? I do not understand compiling and modules etc. so I am a bit out of my depth, and Nathan seems to be having problems with getting it working, so I was hoping that some of you old hands out there might be able to help. 8)
Thanks in anticipation!
Cheers, Mike

Dell inspiron 6400 laptop
Last edited by msumner on Tue 12 Jun 2007, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

This is strange... I just messaged Nathan about it last night -- telling him I noticed in your HW-test results how that module wasn't loaded!

Send me the Grafpup rc.modules and /lib/modules/someting-pcimap and I'll have a look.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

msumner

#3 Post by msumner »

Hi Dougal, thanks for helping out. Sorry, but I could not figure how to attach the files. I pasted the contents into a leafpad file but can't attach it. :roll:
Do I have to make it into a tar or something?
Mike
EDit
figured it :lol:
Attachments
dougalfiles.tar.gz
(17.48 KiB) Downloaded 814 times

Dougal

#4 Post by Dougal »

Does the ipw3945 exist in Grafpup? It's not in the pcimod list, hence doesn't get loaded... rather simple.

You should try modprobing it manually and see if it exists.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

msumner

#5 Post by msumner »

Hi Dougal, tried modprobe (see first post).
Nathan has put together a couple of pet packages for me to try, but neither have worked so far. I have a thread on this at linux questions.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=558248
Cheers, Mike

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

Oops, I missed that part about the module not existing... Nathan should know why it's not there -- he can look at the kernel sources and see if it's supposed to exist.

Maybe that module source should be downloaded from somewhere? Maybe tempestuous will know.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

msumner

#7 Post by msumner »

I found this:
http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/
but it all goes over the top of my head. :roll:
Mike

Dougal

#8 Post by Dougal »

I'll have a look at it, but you should send it to Nathan, so he can compile it...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

What kernel version does GRAFPUP 2 RC2 have?
If it's 2.6.18.1 then you can just get the ipw3945.ko module from the current Puppy zdrv file ... but you will also need these 2 files -
/lib/firmware/ipw3945.ucode
/sbin/ipw3945d

Or if GRAFPUP has the 2.6.16.7 kernel from Puppy 2.0/2.01 then the ipw3945 driver is available as a dotpup here -
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... -and-2.01/

But if GRAFPUP has the REVISED 2.6.16.7 kernel from Puppy 2.02/2.10/2.11 then someone will need to compile the ipw3945 module from scratch.

msumner

#10 Post by msumner »

Hi Tempestuous, Grafpup actually uses 2.6.20.2, so I guess Nathan is compiling from scratch. He's got a lot going on at the moment what with the new release being out, but since I posted here, he has put a couple of pet packages on the LQ forum for me to try but I have not got it working yet.