pFind 6.3

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#61 Post by Béèm »

veronicathecow wrote:Hi, yes it's full HDD install as to the rest I am really not sure. I've been so busy I haven't had time to check it out, just use (I mostly use Firefox with very useful extensions and it is very stable on PClinux)
Thank you for the info.
In the pretty near future SeaMonkey and FireFox will evolve to be more compatable and thus FireFox extentions can then be used in SeaMonkey.

So see you back at that moment? :wink:

zigbert

#62 Post by zigbert »

veronicathecow wrote:Anyway, any idea how to use Pfind on PCLinux as it's far better than any other I have come across.
The requirements is:
- gtkdialog (Puppy uses version 0.7.18 )
- xdialog (version 1 or 2 shouldn't matter)
- gxmessage

If you compile or find these packages for PClinux, it should work. Please let me know how it goes.

Remember to use version 2.0, because the use of gtk-stock-icons.

Sigmund

zigbert

#63 Post by zigbert »

I forgot to upgrade burnerprogram from Tkdvd to Grafburn.

Change in config:
from exec_burner=gxmessage Run TkDVD and choose menu 'Load file list' (/tmp/pfind.tkdvd)
to exec_burner=grafburn -f /tmp/pfind-view

That's all.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#64 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
veronicathecow wrote:Hi, yes it's full HDD install as to the rest I am really not sure. I've been so busy I haven't had time to check it out, just use (I mostly use Firefox with very useful extensions and it is very stable on PClinux)
Thank you for the info.
In the pretty near future SeaMonkey and FireFox will evolve to be more compatable and thus FireFox extentions can then be used in SeaMonkey.

So see you back at that moment? :wink:
I can add more to that.
Following the SeaMonkey group, I saw that 1.1.2 is announced.
In the discussion that followed there was talk about suiterunner.
This permits SeaMonkey, FireFox and Thunderbird to be developed based on the same development platform and thus providing more interoperabiliy. (f.e. extensions). Just google on suiterunner and you have the interesting links.

HairyWill

#65 Post by HairyWill »

I've just installed pfind 2.0 on puppy 2.16 and none of the matchdate options seem to work correctly

Here is a sample of what is in /tmp/pfind-execfind

Code: Select all

find -P "/" -xdev -atime --735 -atime +-1 -iname "**"
Looks like the signs for the atime arguments are being written incorrectly.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

zigbert

#66 Post by zigbert »

HairyWill
Thanks for report. I'll check it out.

Sigmund

zigbert

#67 Post by zigbert »

HairyWill
It seems to me that you have used wrong format for datesetting.
From the helpfile:

format: MM/DD/YYYY
Am I right, or did I miss something? :roll:

-atime --735 -atime +-1 are pointing to future.

Sigmund

HairyWill

#68 Post by HairyWill »

zigbert,
Big apologies, my mistake, thanks for investigating.
I had assumed that the date was in European format and didn't realise it should be in American.

I read the help and MM/DD/YYYY is stated quite clearly.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

WhoDo

Strange behaviour in 2.15CE

#69 Post by WhoDo »

I just noticed some very peculiar behaviour with pfind 2.0 on Puppy 2.15CE. I carried out a search for files using *.bmp and came up with a number of hits. 8) Great! So far no problem. BUT now, whenever I restart the Xserver, pfind opens automatically with my last find result! :?

I tried restarting my machine with the same result. It was only when I physically removed pfind using PETget, and then rebooted, that it stopped automatically opening on my desktop with the last find result.

Any ideas, Zigbert?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

zigbert

#70 Post by zigbert »

WhoDo
What can I say...I have no idea...

There is a kill-problem with some gtkdialog-scripts (mine included). Killing Pfind with windowmanager, doesn't kill the gtkdialog process. Jason Pline has fixed this in his code, but both Grafburn and Pbackup has this problem. Using the builtin 'Quit' button/menu will kill all processes. I will deal with this in an unknown future.

But after a shutdown.....whow.....you kill all processes and delete /tmp/, and still, there is something alive...

...I have absolutely no idea.

In such a moment, I think: Let's hope GuestToo or some other guru reads this.

Sigmund

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#71 Post by GuestToo »

i wouldn't call myself a guru ...

there is a Busybox bug with killall, which, pidof ... if there is a file or dir in the working dir with the same name as the file you are trying to kill, it doesn't work properly

for example:

# cd /tmp
# which Xdialog
/usr/local/bin/Xdialog
# > Xdialog && chmod a+x Xdialog
# which Xdialog
Xdialog
# rm Xdialog
# which Xdialog
/usr/local/bin/Xdialog
# mkdir Xdialog
# which Xdialog
Xdialog
# rmdir Xdialog/
# which Xdialog
/usr/local/bin/Xdialog
#

this can cause elusive bugs ... your script can sometimes seem to work, and sometime not work, or it may work for one person but not for another

but i don't think this Busybox bug is your problem

i don't know why the program would run automatically if X is restarted, unless you are using some sort of session management ... after a reboot, nothing should be running except what was started by the operating system (again, session management might start processes)

anyway, i haven't looked at the program yet, so i can't comment further at this point

zigbert

#72 Post by zigbert »

GuestToo
Thanks for the info. Is this making trouble for jwm. I find it strange that jwm is not killing child-processes of the target.

Gtkdialog-examples often uses this code...

I=$IFS; IFS=""
for STATEMENTS in  $(gtkdialog3 --program=pbackup --center); do
  eval $STATEMENTS
done
IFS=$I
case $EXIT in
  1)...;;
  2)...;;
esac
When calling a gtkdialog from a bash-script like this, the gui gets a new PID, and it is not killed when clicking the jwm X-button.

Sigmund

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#73 Post by GuestToo »

i'm not sure what you are saying

if you run an executable from the command line, like this:

# gxmessage "puppy"

it waits until the gxmessage process exits, then continues the execution in the cli

the rxvt cli is the parent process, and gxmessage is the child process ... you can stop the child process by pressing ctrl+C or closing the rxvt window

same with a script

when you execute gtkdialog from a bash script, the script is the parent and the gtkdialog program (which generates the gui windows) is the child process ... when the gtkdialog program exits, execution should then continue in the script ... execution should return to the script after the gtkdialog program exits ... if you kill the script, it should kill gtkdialog and the gtkdialog windows
it is not killed when clicking the jwm X-button
if you mean clicking the close button on the window does not close the window (the window is still there and is visible), i don't think it should do that

if you mean that when you click the close button on the gui window, that the gtkdialog process does not exit and continues to run as an invisible process (as opposed to there being a gui window visible), i don't think it should do that (unless the gtkdialog process has generated more than 1 window, and there are windows still open)

i just experimented with some of the examples that came with the gtkdialog 0.7.9 source and i found that a gui with menubar widgets can do just that ... you can click the close button, which closes the gui window, but gtkdialog does not exit and continues to run invisibly ... for example:

#! /bin/bash

export MAIN_DIALOG='
<vbox>
  <menubar>
    <menu>
      <menuitem stock="gtk-quit">
	<action>echo You selected the quit menu item</action>
	<action type="exit">exit by menu</action>
      </menuitem>
      <label>File</label>
    </menu>
  </menubar>
</vbox>
'

gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG
as a workaround, the window decorations could be disabled, but you can still close the window from the task bar

seems to be a bug to me, or at least an incompatibility with Puppy

i don't know if that is what you are referring to

zigbert

#74 Post by zigbert »

GuestToo
You are clever, and speak clear.

I didn't realize that menus made the bug.
I will disable the X-button (close) in jwm until a working upgrade of gtkdialog arrive.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Sigmund

zigbert

#75 Post by zigbert »

Back again.

I thought I could skip the X-button (close) inside gtkdialog with a <window> attribute, but I am only able to remove all window decorations. And that isn't really working. Is there another easy way or did I miss something in gtkdialog?

Sigmund

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#76 Post by GuestToo »

gtk seems to support a "closable" parameter ... i don't know if gtkdialog supports it ... it seems to support resizable="false"

i don't really know

zigbert

#77 Post by zigbert »

Version 2.1 is uploaded. See main post.

- Added more MIME-types
- Changed default burner app to Grafburn
- and made some minor improvements.

zigbert

#78 Post by zigbert »

Version 2.2 is uploaded. See main post.

- Bugfix: *.ogg was detected as both music and video.
- Menuitem: View images in Slideshow. (thanks for inspiration from HairyWill and Getnikar)
- Menuitem: Open in TextEditor. (thanks to Dougal)

disciple

#79 Post by disciple »

Sweet - I got 2.2 working in the ancient Grafpup 1.04 just by installing it and gxmessage and GTKdialog3 and copying over a new version of find (you have to copy it at every boot because of the way Puppy 1.x uses unionfs) :) :)
N.B. that when I mention bugs and stuff below they are not specific to Puppy 1 - I would not report them if they were. They all show up in 2.16.
--------------------------------------

Here's a modified version of Pfind that I've done

Changes:
I added a "Show location" function, to open the location of the selected file in ROX.

I made double-clicking on a file open it by default in whatever way it would be opened if you double-clicked on it in ROX. (You can still add custom MIME-types for Pfind).

I added an "Open as text" function for the selected file.

I added a "Send to Trash" function for the selected file

I fixed gui spelling errors in what was line 462 of Pfind (advansed), and macthed or macthing or something somewhere :), and seperate in line 25 of pfind.txt

I modified line 4 of all the func_ files (and another line in func_run) so they handle files with spaces in the path correctly (please tell me if I'm misunderstanding something and shouldn't have done that).
------------------------------------

Further improvements I think could be made if anyone feels like it and can figure out how:

A "move file to..." feature would probably be fairly easy to do.

Ideally it might be good if the copy/link/rename dialogues could use the gtk dialogue that allows you to navigate directories - although in some ways I prefer the way it is done at the moment.

These improvements would probably have the most benefit to the end user:
How can we keep the Search Results window maximised when you click on a button to show only a certain type of file? Also, why (in JWM) when you first maximise it, does it maximise for a fraction of a second, then unmaximise, leaving a small gap at the top of the screen?

Can we do anything about the fact that when the file manager features are used (copy/link/delete), the results window goes back to showing all file types? (I'm wondering if they just need to be converted to the same format as the func_ files)

It would be good to have your previous search term stay in the search bar when you used advanced search, rather than

func func_filter func_MIME func_openwith func_run func_tips func_viewfiles pfind tab130.png tab.png
--------------------------------------

Major Bugs (these are all there in 2.2 - not new in my version):

If you use advanced search and select an action other than show summary, it does not work correctly. Also the feature to find image files or music files etc does not seem to always work.

Once you have run a search, there is also a problem with instances of Pfind, Gtkdialog and gxmessage staying around after you close Pfind. If you kill some of them with kp before killing the Pfind instances, you get things happening again - new Pfind results windows popping up, music players opening to play lists - whatever you did before closing Pfind. So something clearly isn't exiting correctly. I read what Zigbert said about Gtkdialog above, but you also get instances of Pfind itself still there.

Minor Bugs:

If Pfind finds a large number of files (several thousand in Puppy 2.16, but several hundred in Grafpup 104 - that's how I noticed) then nothing shows up in the results pane. This does not appear consistent - sometimes it will show with more results than there are when it won't show other times. I guess maybe it is not actually the number of results, but something in the filenames or something.

I also have a strange situation where if I search for music files on one of my (FAT32) drives, it only shows me one file, but it plays all of them, except that Gxine complains that it can't play most of the mp3s in one particular folder. But it can normally play these files - very strange.

BTW the help states that it won't show results in file manager mode if some results have < or > in the path, but there must be another illegal character or something, as sometimes if you remove results with these, then it still won't show them in file manager mode.

BTW does anyone know what the deal is with the icons used in Pfind? Are they built in to gtkdialog3 or something? I can't find them. How can I get a copy of one?
Attachments
pfind-2.2-disciple.pet
(12.28 KiB) Downloaded 669 times

zigbert

#80 Post by zigbert »

disciple
Nice work. I will start working on a major upgrade, but now Pbackup has the attention.

- I'll look through the code, and incorporate (maybe all of) it. I'm very pleased with the use of Rox-MIME types. My todo-list is now shorter.
- The critical issue is about instances. I got a sort of solution. It still doesn't kill prosess, but it keeps Pfind stable even if older prosesses is running.
- The icons are all gtk-builtin.
- I will try to get rid of gxmessage, and only use gtk-dialog (and xdialog for calender).

Thanks for your contribution.
Sigmund