Gxine 0.4.6 mostly crashes if full screen is chosen

Please post any bugs you have found
GuestToo
Puppy Master

Gxine 0.4.6 mostly crashes if full screen is chosen

#1 Post by GuestToo »

i was experimenting a bit with gxine 0.4.6 in alpha2

it can play some movies full screen, many it crashes when you switch to full screen

the error message is:

The program 'gxine' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadMatch'.
(Details: serial 463 error_code 8 request_code 42 minor_code 0)

the number after "serial" is usually different, but the rest of the messsage is the same

maybe it's a problem with libc

gxine 0.3.4 plays full screen fairly well, but it had it's own library files, including the libc files ... 0.3.4 does not work well in alpha2, it crashes and takes down X too

in /root/.gxine/config if you set
engine.performance.memcpy_method:
to libc or to kernel, it seems to play some movies full screen that it wouldn't before

libc and kernel methods are slower than using the co-processor chip
if engine.performance.memcpy_method: is set to probe, 0, mmx, mmxext or sse, or if that line is commented, gxine should find the right setting and put it in the config file ... (i think amd cpus have mmxext and intel cpus have sse)

as a workaround, i've found if you click a movie in rox, and press the F key to switch to full screen as soon as the gxine window appears and starts playing, then it will play full screen ok ... at least for every movie i tried
Last edited by GuestToo on Wed 31 Aug 2005, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

Re: gxine 0.4.6

#2 Post by GuestToo »

edit: deleted (i hit quote instead of edit)

J_Rey

#3 Post by J_Rey »

I tried out Gxine 0.4.6 with Puppy 1.0.5a2, also. Sometimes Gxine closed occasionally when in full screen mode, but most of the time it was fine. But I did change some of the settings. I remember specifically changing the video rendering interface from xshm to auto; the rest I can't remember. Maybe try changing some settings as another workaround.

Gxine 0.4.7 was released on the 26th and xine-lib & xine-ui were updated a month ago (xine news). Maybe upgrading everything will help, too.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

i tried compiling the latest xine-lib and gxine 0.4.7
it seemed to compile ok and run ok
but it still crashes when it switches to full screen

there's a all-in-1-dir gxine 0.3.4 that plays full screen without crashing
it uses a wrapper script to setup LD_LIBRARY_PATH so it uses it's own library files .... i haven't bothered much with it because it's 13 megs, and mplayer is about 3 megs and also plays without crashing

anyway, i did delete some of the library files to see which ones were really necessary to keep gxine from crashing ... gxine 0.3.4 will play fullscreen without crashing if it has just these library files:

libxine.so.1
libfreetype.so.6
libz.so.1
libnsl.so.1
libgthread-2.0.so.0
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
libatk-1.0.so.0
libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
libm.so.6
libpangoxft-1.0.so.0
libpangox-1.0.so.0
libpango-1.0.so.0
libgobject-2.0.so.0
libgmodule-2.0.so.0
libglib-2.0.so.0

i can't delete any more of these files because they are linked together ... they won't work with Puppy's libraries, because they're a different version ... for example, Puppy's pango files won't work with these libraries, and these pango files won't work with Puppy's libraries

anyway, if these files are used instead of Puppy's files, gxine 0.3.4 doesn't crash when it switches to fullscreen

it could even be pango or the way pango is configured that's causing the problem

J_Rey

#5 Post by J_Rey »

If it is always the same error message then you are experiencing this bug that was reported to the xine developers starting with gxine 0.4.4. Maybe they can help....

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

GuestToo, thanks for your effort trying to track this bug down.
I also had inconsistent crashes... it crashed first time I tried it, later, running the same video it worked ok full screen.

yeah, can someone send an email to the Gxine developers?
Probably link to this thread.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

yes, the error message is always "badmatch", so it is probably the same bug

the interesting thing is, i can usually workaround the bug by pressing F to switch to full screen as soon as the gxine window appears, but before it starts playing the movie ... this might be a clue for the gxine developers