I want to make a server out of Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
klhrevolutionist

hmm.

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I have been scouring the forum looking for help on this.
I would like to get a web domain name and all that great stuff.
But need somebody that has time to get on the chatroom and walk me through.
I would really appreciate it. If anybody has the time to spare
please pm me or e-mail me or post to setup a time that fits your needs!!!
I'm not an idiot, I just want to make sure I do it right thanks!!!
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Are you wanting to set up a server, to host a web page for instance?

klhrevolutionist

something

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

A small web page would be nice, but mostly for larger applications and family stuff.
I'm just needing someone with the know-how to walk me through it.
Whether it be a simple ftp server or a small web page and server.
And setting up a static ip, I believe that is what it is called!!!

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

I set up my computer with manual configuration. It appears the wizard only allows for the entry of one DNS server. After the wizard is done, I edit /etc/resolv.conf and add more DNS servers.

It is a straight forward process to setup the static IP because the wizard makes it easy.

raffy

xampp

#5 Post by raffy »

some xampp how to is in your private mail box (PM) - just saw this thread of yours.

yes, just use the wizard for setting the ip address, or straightforward in console

ifconfig eth0 123.123.123.123

using in the numbers the static IP given to you by your Internet Service provider.

to use a domain name, follow number 1 (and 3?) in my previous PM. godaddy.com happens to be the most popular domain name registrar!

(hey, man, i have no time being s________c, am just helping you out HONESTLY.)

klhrevolutionist

options

#6 Post by klhrevolutionist »

ok for those willing to help, I believe I need a static ip,
or whatever? simple ftp will work. If you all remember back, I tried this before. But had complaints that they were unable to get to the page.
That is why I am asking you all for assistance.
So I use voip and under wan configuration this is what I see

wan configuration
button for static ip
ip =
mask =
gateway =
dns1 =
dns2 =
dns3 =
dns4 =
dns ttl =
dhcp button<- which is currently in use
host name = 0
PPPoe button
wan port speed

so I cannot give my nubers?
cause I'm not sure of which ones I can
so if use the static ip button, would I have to change any of the numbers
that are there? I know I did'nt post them above, but would I use the number given for ip = ???
Another thing what is DMZ it is currently off
but it looks like it would work???
it looks kinda like this

DMZ configuration
DMZ off & on <- it is currently off
DMZ ip address 172.**.**. <- and it gives a range from 2 to 254

Well, there are other things so, anybody with a clue
who feels like helping!!!

#7 Post by Guest »

Static IP.......your ISP may only assign you a dynamic IP...check with your ISP first.

Port 80......Your ISP may not allow you to run any servers so they may have blocked the most common ones....You may have to do some redirection

I'd serioulsy advise you to have a dedicated machine to run as your web\ftp server.....Do not use a workstation.......anything from a 486 will work as a server

For cases where you get a dynamic IP look here
http://www.dyndns.org/

Read EVERYTHING VERY CAREFULLY

For a simple to setup distro

http://www.freesco.org

It's primarily meant as a floppy based server, but can be installed to a HDD and setup in a "server" mode.......Many packages are available including Apache, php, perl and python...it even includes a dns client.....but if you have a router that connects through your modem things maybe different.......Tho some of the later routers seem to have a client for dynamic dns services..

Just remember that your upload speed (ie downloading from YOUR site) maynot be as fast as YOUR download speeds.

The easiest option is to look for a hosting service......your don't have to worry about hackers or setting up servers or dns they take care of it all for you.......Their uptime is usually 24/7

Remember opening ports to your machines is a huge security risk and unless you have a decent firewall you may get very upset with what can happen.

I urge you to check out freesco and the support forums
http://forums.freesco.org/support and read through them and be very careful about where you post as they are more strict that the Puppy forums but in saying that there is some very very knowledgable people there.

I personally use freesco as my firewall........One NIC connects to my adsl modem the other NIC connects to my wireless router, but I'm not using the WAN port, at one of the LAN ports...The freesco box takes care of all the firewall,NAT and port forwarding tasks.
Last edited by Guest on Thu 01 Sep 2005, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

What I'm wondering is: if your actually have a static Internet address. If I'm following correctly, if you have one, you don't need to set one up.

If you don't have a static address, I don't see how you can create one, because it is the ISP that assigns the address. It can be done statically, meaning that everyday you have the same address. It can also be done dynamically, meaning that your address can be different when you connect with the ISP.

The nature of your Internet IP address being basically either static or dnynamicly assigned. And this nature is not generally in the control of the home computer user.

klhrevolutionist

voip

#9 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Right now it is setup as dhcp it can be configures for static or dmz.
but that option is mine. Anyways, I'm not needing a dedicated server.
It seems like a lot of hassle so instead a good walk through
for betaftpd will suit me good. But I also, want a to configure my static
or dmz, remember these options are bisabled on my voip box/router
because I am using dhcp. But if I want static or dmz I have to
enable that option. I believe dmz looks easier. And I know I'm confusing
But I am just needing someone with patience and knowledge to walk me through and make sure I don't do this/that wrong.
Simple as that!!!

Betaftpd and static or dmz configuration
nothing more nothing less

_put BW here_

How Irreverent

#10 Post by _put BW here_ »

How ireverent - after wasting people's time with a general request:
I want to make a server out of Puppy
you now say:
nothing more nothing less
Why don't you just help yourself, (put bad word here)

klhrevolutionist

well

#11 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I did'nt start this topic, though it looks as I did.
But after chatting with people on the forum, and viewing my options
I think it would be easier for me to stick with ftp, which is a server?
Unless I am wrong? put_BW_here whomever you are and I have a good idea.
If you have nothing nice to say, or write, think just don't!!!
I am young cp user trying to learn this and that. The only way to learn
and test the waters is to ask, try, evaluate, and decide.
And that is why I put what I did. It was not meant to be rude,
like your post, and I apologize that you misconstrued my wording.

rarsa

#12 Post by rarsa »

OK klhrevolucionist,

Here is a refresher of a previous conversation:

It's quite simple but I'll be quite verbose so you understand all concepts. At the end I will give you the step by step but don't skip reading it all.

You need to understand not one but three IP addresses.

- One is your router's external IP address. That one is dynamic and assigned by your VOIP provider.

- The second is your router's internal IP address. That one is static. That's the one you use to configure your router.

- The third address is your computer IP address. Each network device on your side of the router has to have a unique one. As far as I remember you only have two devices in your subnetwork, Your computer and the router.

If you read the first two parragraphs you'll see that your router has to IP addresses, the external one (facing the internet) and the internal one (facing your computer). The external IP address has to be unique in the whole internet. No one else can have the same address facing the internet. The internal IP address only has to be unique inside your subnetwork.

From now on I will refer to the internet facing IP address as the 'external IP address' and to the IP addresses in your subnetwork as the 'internal IP addresses'.
That is as technical as I will go on this post and that's only so you can differentiate them as I continue...

If you want to serve FTP or HTTP or whatever, here is the route that the packages from the internet follow:

Internet computers --> Your router --> your server

This is, the internet computer sees your router by it's external IP and your router sees your server by the server's internal IP.

Remote computers to router
Now... how would the remote computer know your external IP address if it is dynamic right now?

Two options:
a) Ask your ISP for a static address and pay for it.
b) Get an account under a DynamicDNS service like www.dyndns.com.

Option a is more expensive as your ISP will surelly charge extra for the static IP plus the cost of registering your domain.
Option b can be free, is very simple to configure but you don't have as much freedom selecting your domain name unless you buy your domain from them.

Unless you want to host a comercial site, I would go for option b.

From your router to your server
Different protocols on the internet communicate through specific ports.
For the router to know where to send the internet requests, you have to specify which computer knows how to respond. This is called Port forwarding.

For example, your router receives a package on port 80. It checks it's port forwarding table and sees that it should forward that request to your computer. Your computer must be listening on that port. This means: Have an application that receives packages on port 80. In this case a web server.

Your server may aquires it's internal address through DHCP from the router or may have a static internal IP address.

If your server uses DHCP you may have to configure the forwarding table to forward to the new address every time you boot. (Having only one computer chances are that you will always get the first one, although it's not guaranteed)

My recomendation is to Configure your server with a static Internal IP address, that way the router always uses the same address.

To cap this explanation: DMZ is the extreme port forwarding. If you set your server computer to be the DMZ, all the requests to any port will be forwarded to that server. So, unless you have a very good firewall and know how to use, stay clear from that one!

======================
Now that you are an expert, here is the promised step by step how-to based on my recommendations:

1. Install and configure the server applications that you want to use on the server
2. Configure your server to have a static IP address. You can use puppy's ethernet wizard. You will find the mask address, gateway addresses and dns address on your router configuration.
3. Forward the ports you want to serve. 21 for FTP, 80 for HTTP (web)
4. Go to www.dyndns.com and open an account.
5. Install one of the software packages that tell dyndns what your address is. You can execute it every time you start-up puppy.

If you need specific help on any of these steps, let me know.
Last edited by rarsa on Fri 02 Sep 2005, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce B

Re: well

#13 Post by Bruce B »

klhrevolutionist wrote:I did'nt start this topic, though it looks as I did.
Yeah, I noticed that. How did this happen I wonder?

Maybe this helps. I am behind a router. I set the router to not provide DHCP to the network. The computers need to be individually manually configured to the provide the information that DHCP from the router would ordinarily provide dynamically.

My manual configuration has nothing to do with Internet addresses, except for the DNS servers.

Like this:

my IP: 192.168.1.100 (i can select from a range of acceptable local network addresses)
gateway: 192.168.1.1 (arbitrary for me)
dns: (must be the actual IP addresses)

Then if I wanted to provide FTP on the standard port, from the router I'd configure it to send PORT 21 to 192.168.1.100

For HTTP it would be PORT 80

Hope this helps.

Bruce B

#14 Post by Bruce B »

Sorry rasa, I wrote my post while you were writing yours. Yours is most excellent and I'd not have bothered with mine if I'd been a few minutes later. :)

rarsa

#15 Post by rarsa »

Actually you give a more concrete example.

I did not use specific IP addresses as each network is different, and as I remember, klhrevolucionist's router has a very funky internal address.

He already knows how to check his router's configuration using the browser, so he already has the address.

Oh, I almost forgot to add klhrevolutionist!

You can also find your assigned dns in one of your router's configuration screens.

edoc

#16 Post by edoc »

Flash wrote:Are you wanting to set up a server, to host a web page for instance?
If I could, I'd like to make this thread twice as valuable by exploring the other server option.

I use http://www.cjb.net as my free web host and his paid hosting http://www.proweb.cc for the rest. Good prices, excellent support, very reliable, Linux friendly.

So, I don't want to be my own web server but would like a small home server and would like to discover how Puppy might be that (would save me the hassle of trying to learn and remember two distros).

Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

_put nothing here_

Publissh Help

#17 Post by _put nothing here_ »

make this thread twice as valuable by exploring the other server option
Let us hope khlrevolucionist published all help he got.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: well

#18 Post by Flash »

Bruce B wrote:
klhrevolutionist wrote:I did'nt start this topic, though it looks as I did.
Yeah, I noticed that. How did this happen I wonder?
I split klh's post from where he originally put it, and started this thread with it because it looked like it deserved its own thread.

As a result we now have an excellent tutorial on how to set up a server. Thanks, guys. :)

#19 Post by Guest »

I think you need to do alot more searching and reading.....DMZ and static IP are two completely different things.

Please do alot more research on your own (as you seem to have problems with the lingo) then once you have a better understanding then start asking questions, rather than expect to be spoon fed from start to finish.

this maybe a good place to start to properly understand some terms

http://www.shorewall.net/three-interface.htm

Forget about the actual software (shorewall) and concentrate on the ideas and theory.

I'm sorry to be blunt but appears others too may have got private messages from you as well about the same topic.

#20 Post by Guest »

Personally I wouldn't use puppy as a server...It's primarily a desktop distro and there are other distros better suited to provding services.

But before going too far I really would check with your ISP with regards to running these services. Doing so you be contrary to your contract.

And as for not having a dedicated machine for serving....you're silly if you think someone isn't going to have a go. Remember it'll have to be up 24/7 and people will get pretty damn upset if half way throgh a download you decide to reboot or whatever.

Honestly the X component takes up a damn lot of resources and in itself is not really that secure.

As I said in my last post do your own research get a better understanding of the lingo. Have an idea in your head then ask questions, but honestly a web hosting service is easier, all you have to do is author your pages then upload them, rather than having to maintain a server, which I think at the moment is a bit beyond your skill level. We all gotta start somewhere and yes I used to run my own web\ftp server from home but it was far easier to pay for hosting and domian registration then bother with anything else. And another thing a web hsoting service is going to be able to provide a damn sight better bandwidth than you could from home.