Puppy can't see my hard drive

Booting, installing, newbie
moldyclint

Puppy can't see my hard drive

#1 Post by moldyclint »

I am perhaps leaving myself open to lots of RTFMs...but interaction with people is better...especially as I have been reading lots for the 2 whole days since I have started playing with the Puppy....very much smitten with it...but want to be able to install more...
Am having trouble booting from my usb flash disk...so decided i would write puppy over my Suse root partition (has not worked so well for me...)...but, Puppy can not recognize my hard drive at all...MUT recognizes my floppy drive, the DVD drive and the flashdisk...but that is it. No hard drive anywhere. Any suggestions where to look? Thanks muchly.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Hard Drive Recognition?

#2 Post by Lobster »

Welcome to the kennels.

:)

As well as Mut use the older Mount / unmount drives
Have you tried from the command line?
Does Mtools work (file managers)?
I wonder if Suse uses some weird secure hiding technology and that is there? (that is a long shot) Ah the Rieser file system (see next post)
Also (be careful) run cfdisk (from the command line) to see what partions and HD's are set up . . . and how
Gosh I think I am just rambling . . .

Let us know how you get on

I leave a CD in the DVD and boot from that. I have run from USB pen drive and hard disk but find no advantage. Last I heard Barry was still using this method - it is very convenient and I can have Ubuntu as my (one Linux per HD is one of my other idiosyncracies) HD backup.
Puppy saves on HD when running from CD - sweet 8)
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 02 Sep 2005, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

Doesn't recognize your drive? or your partition?

What file system is SuSE using? Suse installs ReiserFS by default, isn't it?

Please open a console terminal and post the response from the following command: (the parameter is dash, lowercase L)

Code: Select all

fdisk -l 
As far as I can tell, puppy does not have the modules to accsess ReiserFS.

Can someone confirm this? Has anyone compiled the kernel with ReiserFS support?

moldyclint

hard drive

#4 Post by moldyclint »

Doesn't recognize the drive...none of the partitions on it(several with Suse and 1 or 2 with XP).
Mount/unmount drives shows nothing (apart from cdrom/floppy/sda1)
Mtools ditto.
cfdisk 2.12q

Disk Drive: /dev/hda
Size: 100743168 bytes, 100 MB
Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 12

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pri/Log Free Space 98.71

Am not sure what this is referring to...certainly not my hard drive...plus it says I have no write permission...

Disk /dev/sda: 260 MB, 260046848 bytes
1 heads, 32 sectors/track, 15872 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 32 * 512 = 16384 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2 15872 253936 b W95 FAT32
#

There we have the flash disk...

OK.... I don't really mind ignoring the hard disk as long as I can store info on the flash disk, including added software. This boot up was the first time that I didn't have to manually input keyboard/mouse/monitor info, so maybe newly installed programs will be saved there as well? Will try this out now...and if it works, my other problems are moot...be back shortly to let you know...thanks for your prompt feedback...:)

moldyclint

#5 Post by moldyclint »

hmmm....on second thought that 100MB may have been my suse linux root partition...

moldyclint

#6 Post by moldyclint »

Well, I'll be durned...apparently whatever it was that I did---and i don't know what it was....worked in getting things stored properly on my flashdisk...i had previously been able to install all the files needed to boot off of it, but nothing else had been stored. now...after a reboot...the few test programs that i installed still show up...:)
I think you have a new convert. My playing over the last two days has shown me that you have a wonderful thing going here....light, fast, yet with a broad range of functionality that covers most everything that I use the computer for at home here....and it works! I started out with Mandrake...but with the new system we are using here never managed to get things working properly, moved to suse as it seemed at the outset to install better...but am now hooked as I do not seem to need to spend hours or days tweaking my install to get everything to work (well..despite the fact that the Lexmark x75 that we were given doesn't seem likely to work with any version of linux...)...
am happy....very happy....
now to go try this out on the other convalescing machines we have around the house...
of course...if i can figure out how to save on the hard drive instead of the pen drive...that would be a bonus, however....maybe i just need to get rid of suse...:) although i should be able to save onto the windows partition, no? well, no worries...i can tinker and read more and slowly work, as it no longer is limiting me...:)
thanks...if you do have any other relevant info on this strange disappearing hard drive, i would love to hear it, but now i am going to continue seeing how much more i can do with the Pup.
Cheers!

raffy

past thread

#7 Post by raffy »

i recall faintly that someone wanted to have his hard drive recognized by Puppy up front. As he was using a PCI-based device, it was recognized only after Puppy has checked the 4 IDE devices, a default kernel behavior (?)

see also this one.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].