qemu + kqemu + puppy in usb = great! but too many reads

Using applications, configuring, problems
sensen_jessica

qemu + kqemu + puppy in usb = great! but too many reads

#1 Post by sensen_jessica »

i am using puppy with gemu+kqemu and i am really happy at how quicker things are.

i managed to run qemu with a puppy iso and a virtual kemu drive file which is partitioned and formatted with ext2. so in actual fact puppy thinks it is being booted from cd and it is using a harddisk in my virtual pc.

everyting is loaded into ram but why is it still reading/writing to my usb? my guess is that it is writing to my virtual harddisk but there are times puppy is not being used for anything and i can see read/write on my usb. just afraid my usb will die soon...... :x

#2 Post by Guest »

If you mean the periodic flashing that apparently shows activity on the USB drive, it seems to happen with some USB drives even when the drive is plugged in and there is definitely no activity. I have a Kingmax drive that flashes the activity LED on and off at about 2 second intervals and a Rundisk drive that does not.
There is no definitive answer about what is going on that I have been able to find, but I am assuming that the drive is being addressed without actual reads or writes taking place since - under Puppy - the flashing only happens when the drive is mounted.

Hope that helps.

justauser

is the file on the USB

#3 Post by justauser »

Is the file that is the virtual HD on the USB flash drive. If so, puppy is writing to it.