How to install a dotpup package using command line pfix=nox?

Using applications, configuring, problems
docinthebox

How to install a dotpup package using command line pfix=nox?

#1 Post by docinthebox »

After booting 2.16 using the pfix=nox boot parameter, I got a root prompt at the command line interface. I need to install a dotpup for the Truecrypt software. How do I do that? All the help articles I've seen talk about clicking on the dotpup in Rox. And I was wondering if there's a way to install a dotpup package in command line.

What I'm trying to do is to mount a Truecrypt (encrypted) volume, then change the mount point for /root to this volume (and continue booting to X with xwin), so I can persist the home directory in an encrypted fashion.

Thanks!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

you are supposed to download a dotpup file and click it to install ... this was supposed to be simple and easy, especially for Windows users who are used to installing applications that way

so dotpups were not intended to be installed from the command line

you could try installing the package by typing

dotpuprox.sh truecrypt43a.pup

or whatever the name of the file is ... it might work, or it might not work properly

you could unzip the file (it is an ordinary zip file) and copy the files to the correct locations

but i think you need to remaster Puppy or do a full install and modify the initialization scripts

MU

#3 Post by MU »

Many dotpups are made using a wizard, and require X for normal installation.

To install manually without X:

unzip example.pup
tar -xjvf example.tbz
tar -xjvf FILESYSTEM.tbz

Now you have two folders:
example
usr

Copy example to /usr/local/example
Copy the files in usr to the right subfolders in /usr

If there also is example/resource/postinstall.sh , then execute that.

Mark

docinthebox

#4 Post by docinthebox »

Thanks for the advice! You're right - dotpups are designed to be easy to use, by clicking in Rox to install.

I've come up with a better way of installing Truecrypt. First I boot all the way to X windows instead of using "pfix=nox". I install Truecrypt using Rox. Then I click on Menu > Shutdown > Exit to prompt, to go back to text mode. Then I authenticate the Truecrypt volume, mount it to /root, and then type "xwin" to go back to X Windows.

"Exit to prompt" and "xwin" make it very convenient to go back and forth between GUI mode and text mode. I really like Puppy. Puppy and Sidux are my two favorite live distros that I use all the time.