Compiling Puppy from source

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

Compiling Puppy from source

#1 Post by BarryK »

John asked about this recently, since then I've been thinking about it.

I did have some source awhile back, that built the basic Puppy from source, but it wasn't satisfactory and came to a standstill.

So, I've started again.
This time, as I compile packages for Puppy, I'm also creating a build script, and I have it nicely organised, so this new source system will sit alongside puppy-unleashed/ directory, and when you compile a source package it will write directly into puppy-unleashed/packages/ and update the package.

The main problem will be that this "puppy-sources" thing is going to get very big. I currently don't have sufficient space allocation on Ibiblio.
Then there's the problem of how to upload it.
Someone sent me a message recently asking if I want anything hosted... hmm, wonder if he could handle this? I don't know how big it will grow, as all the source for the entire Unleashed suite gets added in ...enormous.
But, can do it the same way a for Unleashed, that is "puppy-sources-core.tar.gz" then a directory with all the source tarballs.

dvw86

#2 Post by dvw86 »

I have a home server. It's not much, just a 500MHz iMac. But it has FTP, PHP, Apache, MySQL and about 14GB of free hard drive space. I can't guarantee that it will be on all the time since it is not on any type of UPS, but I have had pretty good uptime from it. Bandwidth limits are 3 Meg to it (download for me), 256k from it (my upload speed) and unlimited transfers. I use it to host all my sites and the pics on my wiki page. You are welcome to use it for Puppy source code until you find a more permanent (commercial) server.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

gobo linux is an interesting distro

they have a simplified dir system
every program is contained in it's own dir ... binaries, library files, help files (like an appdir)
to uninstall a program, you don't need to do much more than delete the dir

(every program means every program ... for example, there's a /Program/wget dir ... a /Programs/zip dir ...)

the usual linux dirs are also there, but mostly they are just symlinks for compatibility

screenshot: http://tinypic.com/5b3e5l

they also have "recipies" ... a tiny text file that tells gobo how to download and install the standard source packages from the website of the program (for example, sourceforge)

for example, here's a recipie to download and install Sqlite:

compile_version=1.2.2
url="http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-3.2.1.tar.gz"
is_compileprogram=yes
pre_link()
{
ln -s ${goboPrograms}/Sqlite/3.2.1/bin/sqlite3 ${goboPrograms}/Sqlite/3.2.1/bin/sqlite
}

a Puppy-Gobo distro would be kinda interesting
i think a ZeroInstall-Puppy would be kinda interesting too

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Now that sounds really interesting to me. :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

GuestToo,
I think you mentioned that you use Vector Linux -- I've just been reading about ti, it looks really good.
I'm getting realy cold on Mandrake 10.2. It is more complicated than 9.2.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

i haven't tried the latest 5.0 standard Vector ... or the SOHO (more complete version with KDE)

i find i need to tweak Vector quite a bit when i first install it, but it works well after that

for example, for Vector 4.3, when you su, you don't even have a text editor in your PATH ... so i setup my PATH the way i like it in .bashrc, and installed leafpad (Vector has nedit but i prefer leafpad) ... so i can type leafpad /etc/rc.d/rc.local ... and it will work

it's very much a case of personal preferences, but if you like Puppy, you might like Vector too ... they are both lean and light and fast and efficient

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

GuestToo wrote:gobo linux is an interesting distro

they have a simplified dir system
every program is contained in it's own dir ... binaries, library files, help files (like an appdir)
to uninstall a program, you don't need to do much more than delete the dir

(every program means every program ... for example, there's a /Program/wget dir ... a /Programs/zip dir ...)

the usual linux dirs are also there, but mostly they are just symlinks for compatibility

screenshot: http://tinypic.com/5b3e5l

<> a Puppy-Gobo distro would be kinda interesting
i think a ZeroInstall-Puppy would be kinda interesting too
Check out chapter 15, titled "Application Directories," of the ROX html 'Help' manual. That sounds to me like something very similar.