synergy - desktop sharing

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
DrOwl

synergy - desktop sharing

#1 Post by DrOwl »

Synergy is a software km switch, Basicly you can use one computers keyboard and mouse to controle mutiple computers.

For example you can move the mouse off the edge of your desktops screen and controle your laptop with the desktops keyboard and mouse. Synergy also alows clipbook shareing all though this can be buggy, but just like windows a quick restart should fix it ;)

This works with meny computers, diffrent OS's and you can conifgure which direction each screen is etc...

you can find more infomation Ω - http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/about.html -
JB4x4 wrote:Here's a quick way to get synergy to work.

I downloaded the synergy binaries: synergy-1.3.1-1.i386.rpm - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=58013

Extract the rpm using unrpm - http://dotpups.de/dotpups/System_Utilit ... .undeb.pup , and copy the contents to the correct folders.

Install the following library: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 - http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/lib ... 2.so.3.pup

The "server" will need a configuration file named .synergy.conf in your /root directory. Here is mine for example:

--------------------------------

# sample synergy configuration file
#
# comments begin with the # character and continue to the end of
# line. comments may appear anywhere the syntax permits.

section: screens
# two hosts named: desktop and laptop
desktop:
laptop:
end

section: links
# desktop is right of laptop
desktop:
left = laptop
laptop:
right = desktop
end

------------------------------

In my example, I start the "server", desktop, with the command - synergys -n desktop - and start the "client", laptop, with the command - synergyc -n laptop 192.168.1.100 - (The ip address of the server)

Note: The desktop is running Puppy 2.16 and the laptop runs 2.14. Mouse and keyboard work, copy and paste seem buggy.

JB
#just to make the thread cleaner =)
# must try make a .puppy install.
=============

Im haveing the same issue trying to compile synergy on Puppy linux.
synergy2.sourceforge.net/

I have

sh-3.00# ls -al libXtst.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18430 May 24 22:05 libXtst.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 915 May 24 22:05 libXtst.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Apr 29 23:45 libXtst.so.6 -> libXtst.so.6.1.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18352 Aug 8 2006 libXtst.so.6.1.0
sh-3.00# pwd
/usr/X11R6/lib

and
sh-3.00# which g++
/usr/bin/g++

but im still getting:

checking for sstream... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for XTestQueryExtension in -lXtst... no
configure: error: You must have the XTest library to build synergy
sh-3.00#

any idears?
Last edited by DrOwl on Mon 18 Jun 2007, 18:14, edited 3 times in total.

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

try specifying the x11 libs and headers like this if possible, linker might choke on the link:

libs /usr/X11R7/lib
headers /usr/X11R7/include

type ./configure --help

look for something like:

--x-includes=

example:
./configure --prefix=/usr --x-includes=/usr/X11R7/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R7/lib

sometimes you can use the -I/ or -L like:

./configure --prefix=/usr -I/usr/X11R7/include -L/usr/X11R7/lib

OR...

maybe the headers aren't in the devx file, but it looks like it's trying to link to it to check

DrOwl

#3 Post by DrOwl »

Hi, i tried that

i used

./configure --x-includes=/usr/X11R7/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R7/lib/

and get the same errors

Re:
maybe the headers aren't in the devx file, but it looks like it's trying to link to it to check

humm which files do you think might be missing?

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

Not sure, XTest.h is there (I think that the extension they mention using):

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# find /usr -name XTest*
/usr/X11R7/include/X11/extensions/XTest.h
Perhaps the way the configure script is testing for it is messed up. On the synergy site they say to do it like this:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# xdpyinfo | grep XTEST
sh: xdpyinfo: command not found
Doesn't seem to work on puppy.

Good reading here:
http://www.xfree86.org/current/xtestlib.html

DrOwl

#5 Post by DrOwl »

yup looks like this is just an issue with xdpyinfo being missing, im trying to find out if i can just fudge the install...

i installed the dev apps from the dev.sfs do you know if the pup installs have this app included?

kirk22

#6 Post by kirk22 »

Any luck DrOwl?

I'd like to see a Synergy package for puppy.

JB4x4

#7 Post by JB4x4 »

Here's a quick way to get synergy to work.

I downloaded the synergy binaries: synergy-1.3.1-1.i386.rpm - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=58013

Extract the rpm using unrpm - http://dotpups.de/dotpups/System_Utilit ... .undeb.pup , and copy the contents to the correct folders.

Install the following library: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 - http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/lib ... 2.so.3.pup

The "server" will need a configuration file named .synergy.conf in your /root directory. Here is mine for example:

--------------------------------

# sample synergy configuration file
#
# comments begin with the # character and continue to the end of
# line. comments may appear anywhere the syntax permits.

section: screens
# two hosts named: desktop and laptop
desktop:
laptop:
end

section: links
# desktop is right of laptop
desktop:
left = laptop
laptop:
right = desktop
end

------------------------------

In my example, I start the "server", desktop, with the command - synergys -n desktop - and start the "client", laptop, with the command - synergyc -n laptop 192.168.1.100 - (The ip address of the server)

Note: The desktop is running Puppy 2.16 and the laptop runs 2.14. Mouse and keyboard work, copy and paste seem buggy.

JB

kirk22

#8 Post by kirk22 »

Thanks for that JB. I'm going to try it today!

I've got a windows app that won't allow multiple instances to run on the same login account. The solution will hopefully be to put a puppy box next to it and run the 2nd instance of the app in a remote desktop session. Synergy would tie both both together and allow the app to run an instance on each monitor.

Thanks again.

EDIT: It works great! That was almost too easy. One binary and one line to start synergy and I'm seamlessly sharing a keyboard/mouse across two monitors and two different operating systems.

DrOwl

#9 Post by DrOwl »

Cool its working for me too... windows and puppy, next ill try spice it up with some solaris too

thanks jb

ED===

joy 3 way synagy is fun

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Pictures for mere mortals? :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

JB4x4

#11 Post by JB4x4 »

Lobster: That is where I got the binaries, ver. 1.3.1 to be exact. I would take a picture of my desktop, unfortunately it is an "organized" mess :D . Check out the about page - http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/about.html - for a better description.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

:D
Thanks for the link
Cool and Hot!

Now we have a use for two (or even three motherboards in one case as someone recently reported) In fact a mother board with several cheap processors and inbuilt graphics, running three different operating systems would be very useful.

I used to run a 386 PC, Amiga 2000 and BBC Master at the same time. The Amiga had a PC bridgeboard and the BBC Master 512 also had PC capability.

I have heard of an (illegal? - probably) hack of the Mac OS that runs on any PC . . . m m m . . .

I think I would be happy with Puppy, PCLinuxOS (my current setup) and perhaps in a quarantine area a Windows computer.

Very exciting possibilities. Something to try in the future :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

kjurkic

RPM FUBAR

#13 Post by kjurkic »

Every time I try the RPM from that site, I get a file of <1kb, and unrpm cant do anything with it.

anybody have this rpm they could send?

regards
Ken
PS I tried the tar.gz, but keep getting "cannot execute binary file"
PPS its NOT a permissions issue

kjurkic

rpm supplies

#14 Post by kjurkic »

Just wanted to note that with the supplied RPM (actually converted to tgz) from a genereous member (jb4x4), I was able to get Synergy working.

3 machines
1 - Dream linux (fwiw if you need multi-user, and have a PIII, you might want to check this distro out)
2-puppy 2.17
3 - winXP

my keyboard & mouse now scroll nicely through 3 displays, and I can copy & paste text from any to any.

very handy as there are network managment utlities I need that only play in winxp :x

blakamin

#15 Post by blakamin »

I dont suppose anyone would like to build a really easy way to install this for us n00bs (seeing as I cant get anything to open (told you I was a n00b))

eg: got the libs done, but am having some probs with the rpm

where do I extract the synergy files to and where do I put the conf if my puppy machine is my client? :oops:

kjurkic

Did you get this working?

#16 Post by kjurkic »

I can try and walk you through this, but I will have to see if I can remember how I got it working.....

Ken

moret

#17 Post by moret »

dredging up old posts....

I'm new to Linux, even newer to Puppy, and am trying to get synergy working.

I've unrpm'd synergy and downloaded/installed libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3.pup from the website above (using pupget). When I go to run synergy, though, it states:
synergyc: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.3: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
My first thought was that it was referring to the library, so I re-installed the library. Puppy told me that it was already installed, but I reinstalled anyway.

I'm sure this is an obvious oversight, but not being versed in linux, I have no idea where to start or where to look.
Ideas?

thanks in advance,
-moret

kjurkic

Synergy

#18 Post by kjurkic »

Howdy moret,

Sorry, it was so long ago I posted that, I have forgotten what I did to get it working.

It CAN be done; I had a 3 desktop setup running LinuxMint-Puppy-WinXP

IIRC I had Synergy "hosted" on Mint, with Puppy & XP as "clients"

I have switched over to virtual machines on one PC to get the application functionality I needed, so don't use Synergy anymore.

Good luck; its excellent once you get it working

Ken

moret

#19 Post by moret »

Success!

Turns out, for those of us *VERY* new to linux, and Puppy (ver 4.1.2) specifically... downloading the lib. file, and trying to install it via pupget doesn't actually install it. I assumed it had (no message otherwise, and don't know where to look to verify).
Instead, since it was a .pup file, I needed to install the pup handler first. Once that was installed, and then I actually installed the library, it works beautifully!
I knew it would be obvious....
:)

-moret

woeps

Thanks a bunch!

#20 Post by woeps »

Thanks a lot for your great "manual"!!!
Works like a charm now under puppy 5.0.1 and Mac Osx 10.4.11!!! (now I could even realise my 3-screen-setup! xD)
Thanks!