IceWM crashes when I access /usr/local with Rox

Please post any bugs you have found
Johnny Reb

IceWM crashes when I access /usr/local with Rox

#1 Post by Johnny Reb »

I installed IceWM the other day, and really like it, however since I've installed it a problem has developed. Since installing Ice I attempted to access /usr/local via Rox and it crashed Ice. The desktop icons disappeared, and the only thing left on the desktop was the Rox window in which the watch symbol was spinning. Eventually I had to reboot in order to unlock the system. I've tried this at least a dozen times since then and have got the exact same results every time. I don't know if it's a bug in Ice or Rox, or if it's a compatability problem between them, but it's apparent there is some kind of conflict. Before I installed Ice this never occured so it seems to point towards Ice.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

that's odd

i can't think of any reason why it would do that ... icewm is just 1 executable file (in my-applications/bin) ... maybe there is something wrong with unionfs (it mounts /root/.usr on /usr)

i don't think icewm has ever crashed on me
and it seems to work better with rox than any other wm, including fvwm95
in fact. i'm running icewm right now with 1.0.5 alpha 2

if you installed it from a dotpup package, the md5sums of the files should have been thoroughly checked, so the icewm binary should be ok unless it got corrupted since it was installed

you could try shutting down X windows and typing
startx icewm
this will run only the icewm binary, and not run other icewm programs, like icewmbg (sets the wallpaper) or icewmtray ... i run icewm that way

if you have very limited ram, icewm probably uses more ram than fvwm95

Johnny Reb

#3 Post by Johnny Reb »

GuestToo wrote:that's odd

i can't think of any reason why it would do that ... icewm is just 1 executable file (in my-applications/bin) ... maybe there is something wrong with unionfs (it mounts /root/.usr on /usr)

i don't think icewm has ever crashed on me
and it seems to work better with rox than any other wm, including fvwm95
in fact. i'm running icewm right now with 1.0.5 alpha 2

if you installed it from a dotpup package, the md5sums of the files should have been thoroughly checked, so the icewm binary should be ok unless it got corrupted since it was installed

you could try shutting down X windows and typing
startx icewm
this will run only the icewm binary, and not run other icewm programs, like icewmbg (sets the wallpaper) or icewmtray ... i run icewm that way

if you have very limited ram, icewm probably uses more ram than fvwm95
I did install Ice from the dotpup package, and memory is not an issue; I'm running 640mb of ram. It's a reproducable problem since it does the exact same thing after multiple reboots. Besides the icons disappearing from the desktop, it does another weird thing that happens quiet often in windoze, but there it's related to active desktop, which should not be an issue in Puppy. When the icons disappear, they leave (at least in the portion of the screen that was covered by the Rox window) a shadow like image in the shape of the icon. I'm going to try and go into some more directorys besides /usr/local and see if it happens when I try and access other directorys. When this occured, I kept trying to access that directory in order to see if it would happen again, and it did at least 12 times in a row. I'll let you know what happens.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#4 Post by Johnny Reb »

Here's an update on the Ice/Rox problem. I've attempted to access /usr/local via Rox several more times, and it continues to crash Ice. I was able to access /usr/local once via Rox by right clicking on the folder from rox and then selecting look inside...............tried again and it crashed again. Every attempt to access /usr/local via Rox by just clicking on the folder crashes Ice. This could also be a bug in the Xserver because I was able to restart Ice once using restart Ice, but after that had to restart X every time, that or reboot in order to get it working again. It could also be a corrupted file system too. In order to test and see if that could be the problem i renamed my pup101 file to pup101.zip and started over with a fresh pup101. I then reinstalled everything including Ice, and attempted to access /usr/local via Rox, and was able to access it without any problems. I'm going to continue using the new pup101 for awhile, and I'll run chkdisk & defrag the partition that the pup101 is on, and switch back to my original pup101 and see if that has any affect. I'll let y'all know what happens.
~ Thomas Paine