Deleting Files and Stopping them from loading into ram

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
dembola

Deleting Files and Stopping them from loading into ram

#1 Post by dembola »

I'm having some trouble with my multisession DVD when it comes to stopping files from reappearing on the ram disk. I have a large section of files that I don't need to load. On the Multisession DVD webpage it said I could do two things: delete the files by dragging them to the trash, or moving them to /archive. Neither has worked. In fact, when I drag items to the trash they don't move at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Tell us more about your setup. How much RAM do you have, which version of Puppy is on the multisession DVD, things like that.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

dembola

#3 Post by dembola »

Sorry about the lack of information. I am running on a Gateway MX6437 laptop. I boot off the Multisession DVD by first inserting a CD and then swapping them. I have 512 MB of ram plus a 1GB swap file. My DVD burner is an HL-DT-ST DVD_RW GWA-4082N. It has worked great for me as a DVD burner - growisofs always works perfectly in Ubuntu on the same machine.

Tonight I'm going to try saving files directly to /archive instead of dropping them off in /root first. I'll try to report on if this succeeds a bit later on.

EDIT: Saving directly into /archive worked perfectly on a fresh live DVD. I'll try to delete a file now.

quasimodal

#4 Post by quasimodal »

I've encountered phantom files when booting from a fresh multisession CD because the sysinit routine can pick up stray pup-save.sfs files and include them in the unionfs mount. I've gotten some very bizarre configurations, where files I deleted weeks ago suddenly reappear from nowhere ( actually from the pup_save.sfs file ).

If you are booting a fresh unsaved 2.16 multisession, make sure you have either no pup-save files on disk or at least two .sfs file so the sysinit script is forced to prompt you for which .sfs you want to mount.

If you get the prompt and are in a dull dog mood, select the 0 option, that is do not mount pup_save. On the other hand, if you are up for a truly mind-bending experience, select a random pup_save file to load and see what happens, it's a trip.

Hope this might help you some confusion.

- Bill

infinitycircuit

#5 Post by infinitycircuit »

I had a similar problem. The combination of making a fresh DVD and deleting the spare pup_save.2fs files on my fifth partition seemed to have done the trick, although I found the most consistent way to delete files off the ramdisk was off the command line.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Hmm. I guess the reason I haven't run into this problem is that I never delete anything. :lol:

I do remember that when I used an email client (as opposed to the web-based Yahoo email I now use exclusively) my multisession DVD - and RAM - filled up with junk mail I thought I'd deleted. But that's really a different subject.