Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 23:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Puppy-1.0.4 with XFree 4.5.0 & madwifi (wireless drivers
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
mgs

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2005, 12:54    Post subject:  

Hi again. Thanks for the simple guidelines. As far as I know I downloaded my first attempt from the link http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/XFree-1.0.4/cd-puppy.iso

I have now tried http://www.edgarbrits.net and chose the 1.03 version with framebuffer support this fails without booting puppy at all.

How can I check if I have indeed got the XFree-1.04 version, when Puppy loads? Is this the one I need?

Maybe some details of the system I'm trying to use Puppy with might help. It's a Saintsong Espresso mini computer with 128Mb, processor is a Via at 900MHz using i810 graphics. I can successfully run Puppy at 800 x 600 with flickery refresh rate (65Hz I think) sound works OK and USB memory stick is recognised. I'd be happy if I could get 1024 x 768 at 75 or 85Hz which I know the computer and monitor can do as I have Windoze 98 on it at present. (Connecting Puppy to the internet with this is possibly a challenge to far at present as there is only a USB interface no ethernet socket. But let's take one thing at a time!!)
keenerd

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2005, 19:16    Post subject:  

I really like the latest atheros/fb build. For once, my laptop works the way it should. So I took the final step and tried to do an option 2 upgrade to my existing 1.0.4. Starting X now gives me a very interesting error. "Too many levels of symbolic links." It doesn't matter if I use xwin or startx. Both do it.

I couldn't find anything relivant in the forums. Even google wasn't too useful, aside from 'delete some symlinks'.

I can still boot from CD, so I might just back up everything and reinstall.
(Joy.)
keenerd

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2005, 12:17    Post subject:  

This just keeps on getting more interesting.

I wiped my partition, and did a fresh option 2 install of Bladehunter's iso. Now it boots fine, but I can't access my card. 'iwlist scan' now gives "Failed to read scan data: Resource temporarily unavailable"

Does anyone know what this means?
keenerd

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2005, 13:28    Post subject:  

Sorry, false alarm. It was a seemingly unrelated bios option.

For thinkpad 600E users: the atheros kernel doesn't work if you have quick boot disabled. I had disabled it because Peppyy said the audio works better that way.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2005, 20:20    Post subject:  

when you says fails to boot....Do you just get a command prompt ?

Try typing xwin if that is the case
mgs

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2005, 13:56    Post subject:  

Hi Bladehunter

Puppy framebuffer version fails to boot giving error messages roughly as follows -

XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: unable to open socket for inst6
XSERVTransOpen : transport open failed for inst6/puppypc:0
XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners : failed to open listener for inst 6 Error opening/devfb0: no such file or directory
Fatal server error

There is more which I will transcribe if it helps (I'm having to read from one screen and copy manually)

typing xwin simply repeats the error messages

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2005, 20:07    Post subject:  

Your booting with the wrong option....As I can't remember how I numbered the options you'll have to look at the isolinux.cfg file and have a look at the options.....

Actually I found this from the readme.txt
Quote:

Boot options as per normal puppy
but add 5 for frambuffer

ie Option 6 is option 1 with framebuffer

But in all seriousness I wouldn't bother with that version.....

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/NFS-1.0.4/cd-puppy.iso

This version has support for the i810 chipset, you just need to answer a few questions regarding your setup[/quote]
Germanpup

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2005, 08:38    Post subject: success notice P3 600 MHz laptop  

thank you very much bladehunter. I'm successfully running your version on my 2 laptops (sony p3 w/ neomagic and ibm thinkpad with atheros). this with John's perl ndiswrapper and wifi packages are ideal setups for notebooks ...
ChiJoan

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2005, 00:35    Post subject: This Puppy wouldn't finish be written?  

I use Roxio to burn ISO images. This is the first time it ever stalled at 20% on write. Perhaps Roxio doesn't write Linux multi-write images? Just guessing that may be the problem though.

Guess I'll be patient for Puppy 1.05.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2005, 02:02    Post subject:  

The iso's were created using Barry's makeiso scripts.....so in that way mine images are no different in format
HitRSS

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2005, 09:13    Post subject:  

I tried to install this 1.04 version of Puppy with Xfree on my dual-boot Windows XP NTFS partition (using the tutorial from this forum) and I got a kernel panic - init not found error upon booting.

I have Chubby Puppy running like this without any problem, but this particular Xfree version won't work... and it's a shame since I have to change the screen resolution to 1024x600 (native resolution of my Fujitsu P1120).

Any ideas why I get the kernel panic with this one and the Chubby works with the same config?
Page 3 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: