How do i install Octave?

Booting, installing, newbie
laserbeak

How do i install Octave?

#1 Post by laserbeak »

hi i'm trying to install Octave from http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

i've gotten the file but i don't know how to install it. i'm sure it's gonna have a few dependancies.

Shagbag

#2 Post by Shagbag »

Hi. I'm thinking of installing Octave on Puppy 2.16. I haven't attempted to compile it yet but was wondering if you managed to compile it. If so, did you have any problems?

laserbeak

#3 Post by laserbeak »

no i've tried reading the docs on how to install things on puppy but i was totaly lost, sorry. if you figure out how to install stuff that arent already .pups i'd apreciate it if you would let me know!! :)

Shagbag

#4 Post by Shagbag »

OK.
octave-2.9.12-i486.pet
gnuplot-4.2.0-i486.pet
I haven't tried them yet so let me know if there are any bugs with the install. I'm still new at this compiling thing so I'm not even sure if the ./configure options I invoked are 'Puppy-compliant'. I'm going to look into this on the weekend. I'd like to rebuild it properly if I can.

EDIT:
I've just loaded them and it seems Octave is missing the following dependencies:

liboctave.so
libcruft.so
liboctinterp.so

I'm not sure what effect this has on the package. It still installs but I don't know enough about it to really test it out (I've only just started learning MatLab).

I'll google for the above three dependencies and see if I can get things fixed properly.

Once installed you'll see a listing for Octave in your Start menu under Calculate. Just ignore it and move on. (If you click on it, it doesn't open - duh! that's because Octave is a command based package without a GUI). To get it going you just need to open a console and type 'octave' and it'll come up.

Let me know how you get on.

laserbeak

#5 Post by laserbeak »

hey i smashed my computer and just got a new one. i think octave-forge will need to be installed as well if you're installing from source. i'll add these packages and see what happens.

MU

#6 Post by MU »

octave is mirrored here:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Science/
Mark

laserbeak

#7 Post by laserbeak »

very nice thanks. how long has it been there?

Shagbag

#8 Post by Shagbag »

It's the one I compiled. MU kindly agreed to host it and I uploaded it a couple of days ago. It's still got the same errors (missing .so files) and it's just Octave, ie. no gnuplot. There was a cock-up on my part when uploading gnuplot such that I need to compile it from source again and then upload it to MU's repo. I plan on doing that this weekend.

If you want, you can have ago yourself at compiling it. Assuming you're running Puppy 2.16, you'll need to

1. download the devx_xxx.sfs package from ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distrib ... vx_216.sfs and save it to /mnt/home.
2. reboot.
3. download the gnuplot source code tarball. Untar it and change into the appropriate directory.
4. read any README and INSTALL files noting any important dependencies and/or configuration options.
5. run

Code: Select all

./configure --build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
N.B. add any options to this line if recommended in the README or INSTALL.
6. run

make
7. don't run 'make install' but, instead, run:

new2dir make install
just like this guide from Barry says.
8. Now you're ready to install the .pet package you've just created!

Shagbag

#9 Post by Shagbag »

It was a bit late in coming but I compiled a .pet for GNUplot today. MU has, once again, kindly agreed to host it. It's available along with Octave at:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Science/

emil

Octave-3.2.3

#10 Post by emil »