Can someone please make a dotpet of Gperiodic?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Sage

Can someone please make a dotpet of Gperiodic?

#1 Post by Sage »

Although I've managed to d/l and install <gperiodic> with virtually all Puppy versions, I am mindful of Barry's warnings. Please can someone skilled in the art convert it to a .pet before trouble strikes?
Many thanks.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

sage,

i've uploaded gperiodic .pet here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=19192

Dougal

#3 Post by Dougal »

Sage, you're retired, you're supposed to have left that behind you!
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

weredog

All Good Science

#4 Post by weredog »

ok, catched it all up for you retired.

http://www.astro.com

the one and only possible bookmark (coz' no tounge ever accuses the traslator)!

He knew Kant was Bohemian (in his own words), went freely to ww1 where the english caught him.

Very well known by our english tourists, on their way they can listen to their native language afn (American Forces Network), all these Hanks and Chucks (op. cit. British Forces Broadcasting Service), yeah decades ago, so it is still empty:

"Dir Mitglieder der astronomischen Gesellschaft, die dem Autor namentlich bekannt sind...

Im Schwarzwald 1958"

As far as I remember he died in 1984 at the age of 92.

opus posthum: Nach mehr als neunzig Jahren des Denkens, erlaube ich mir... (after more than 90 years of thinking...)He was also a painter. (Ankauf durch die Deutsche Bundesregierung)

Biography by his son. (was it in the twentieth?) grotesk dancer in Berlin.

BTW his name is Thomas Ring

ciaou you retired

spared a good laughter

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Replied in the Additional Forum - thanks guys.
Retired but not forgotten. Struggling with 2,5dmfuran this week. New fuel from fructose according to the man from Wisconsin. However, I'm a wonderin' if he's consulted his toxicology manual recently! Notwithstanding, no-one in their right mind would drive around at 70mph sitting on a carcinogenic tankful of high explosive hydrocarbon liquids, would they?!

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

Sage wrote:New fuel from fructose according to the man from Wisconsin.
I find all those alternatives to be just a cop-out, just like the Bio-diesel that the EU is so happy about.
The internal-combustion engine must go.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Quite right, mon ami. Electric cars were on the roads half a century before the infernal combustion engine and the first powered tracked train (Mumbles Railway in Swansea) was battery driven. However, there are problems. Fuel cell and battery vehicles remain too expensive, too slow and/or lack range, too inefficient (well-to-wheel) and have no infrastructure to call upon. The car market (in Europe) is still driven by over-paid, young tearaways with the ubiquitous go-faster stripes (these days, in the form of a German badge on the bonnet, even though the Germans make their best cars in Spain thanks to the EU!). I used to try to persuade my students that the only benefit in arriving 'first' was that you either got to buy the beers or to talk to some very well-manner gentlemen of the Law.
The magnitude of the problem of change is driven home (pun intended) if you stand on a bridge over an eight-lane highway in the rush hour in any Californian city.
There is hope. There is a newish enzymatic conversion process for making ethanol from any and all agricultural waste. But that still needs steam reforming to hydrogen for use in fuel cells. The reality is that the most efficient power source is a man shoveling coal into a boiler. Make that a women if you want to be PC.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

muggins wrote:sage,

i've uploaded gperiodic .pet here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=19192
And with the push of a button in MU's Puppy Software Installer, you can download and install in one go. :)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Dougal

#9 Post by Dougal »

Sage wrote:Fuel cell and battery vehicles remain too expensive, too slow and/or lack range, too inefficient (well-to-wheel) and have no infrastructure to call upon.
I seem to recall cell-phones were the same only a few years ago...
When there is incentive, there is change.
A simple matter of tax can change everything (how about a tax-raise of 10% per annum on all petroleum?).

There is also the equivalent of the "reduce" in the RRR.
Electrical trains and trams and very common, you just need to forbid people from using cars.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

The model American male devotes more than 1600 hours a year to his car. He sits in it while it goes and while it stands idling. He parks it and searches for it. He earns the money to put down on it and to meet the monthly installments. He works to pay for gasoline, tolls, insurance, taxes, and tickets. He spends four of his sixteen waking hours on the road or gathering his resources for it. And this figure does not take into account the time consumed by other activities dictated by transport: time spent in hospitals, traffic courts, and garages; time spent watching automobile commercials or attending consumer education meetings to improve the quality of the next buy. The model American puts in 1600 hours to get 7500 miles: less than five miles per hour. In countries deprived of a transportation industry, people manage to do the same, walking wherever they want to go, and they allocate only 3 to 8 percent of their society's time budget to traffic instead of 28 percent. What distinguishes the traffic in rich countries from the traffic in poor countries is not more mileage per hour of lifetime for the majority, but more hours of compulsory consumption of high doses of energy, packaged and unequally distributed by the transportation industry.

Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

It's not the Europeans that need more tax on petrol, Dougal - we all know who the bad boys are on that one! However, detailed market research constantly tells that car drivers will pay whatever it costs for their personal transport, so radical solutions are essential. It's a bit like taxation itself. Upon consideration, no-one in their right mind could argue that an advanced nation should pay less tax, yet here we have it : Bush, Blair and a whole coterie of morononic politicians advocate just that in expectation of re-election. Something-for-nothing is a powerful ally of those who fail to switch on their brains when they get up in the morning.
As for fuel cells, the principle was elucidated by Sir William Grove as many as 170 years ago. The first engineering sample is ~60+ years old and the Apollo cells are ~40yrs old. None of these or any that have followed are remotely commercially viable on the required scale, and probably won't be this century. Li-ion batteries, solar cells and ultracapacitors are the best near-term options and have achieved the most substantial progress towards serious market penetration.
Until Bush is gone, nothing can be achieved, though, not even by Arnie. It might await the final crushing of capitalist greed, looking on the blacker side?
Not sure where you got your quote, muggie, but we need to educate users of Webster's book. As you are well aware, it is exceedingly impolite to use the word 'transportation' - almost as gauche as the Poles mentioning WWII at the EU summit! Even Basil Fawlty would blush. The correct form of the word in respect of vehicular movement is transport - just that, no further embellishment is needed.

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

quote is from ivan illich. i think the figures he mentions are from US, 1976. he had two other quotes i lke, but couldn't track down. one to the effect that even if cars were made out of thin air, and ran on sunshine, they would still cause problems.

and the other was that every amenity given to cars, takes away from the freedom of people to walk.

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

Man on a bicycle is unbeatable at ~50% efficiency. Abate that figure by a couple of percent to account for the cost of making the steel and rubber.
Trouble with walking is that stellite replacement hip joints and their implantation can be more costly than bike riding, averaged over a lifetime.
Notwithstanding, natural selection hasn't provided us with wheels at the end of our legs, yet. Maybe it's too soon? All depends on whether we survive the next large meteorite strike in 2029 and/or the next mass extinction, give or take an ice-age or two.

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

Trouble with walking is that stellite replacement hip joints and their implantation
i thought they would be inversely proportional. how many kalahari bushmen get these new joints? anyway, took millions of years for man to develop bipedal motion, and it's been made obsolete in about 50 years. here, in australia, we have all sorts of political & medical discussions about the rising levels of obesity, and the extrapolated future costs...

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

Life expectancy of most bushmen hasn't been pushed much towards the three score and ten unlike in 'developed (ha)' communities. As for bipedalism, there is now some doubt even about that. Our nearest and dearest - no, not her - the oran-gutang, developed an upright stance whilst 'walking' along the tree branches.
Seems that petroleum issues, global warming, obesity/junk food all seem to be pointing in a now-familiar direction. This will certainly get alienj animated!!

muggins

#16 Post by muggins »

i'm suspicious about life expectancy figures. i came across a kiwi analysis once that showed that while cradle to grave life expectancy had increased in enzed, for the 20th century, there was virtually no change in post-pubescent longevity. but, in any case, what about those okinawans, and why aren't we discussing this in off-topic section?

Dougal

#17 Post by Dougal »

Sage wrote:It's not the Europeans that need more tax on petrol, Dougal - we all know who the bad boys are on that one!
I think it's no secret what we both think of that nation at the other side of the pond (or their representatives in the Middle-East).
But the EU is still big and uses a fair amount of oil and they use the cop-out option to try and appear enlightened.
Don't forget that the EU is buying oil from those dubious former-USSR republics, certainly not people I'd like to donate money to (isn't the Persian Gulf bad enough?).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

John Doe

#18 Post by John Doe »

Sage wrote:Man on a bicycle is unbeatable at ~50% efficiency.
I've been riding a mountain bike as my main source of transportation for almost 10 years. I can beat people through the streets in their "stinky wheel chairs" [gas powered cars] and lose cops with ease.

I just ride around and laugh at everyone. They look like plump sheep getting ready for slaughter.

That post about the "model American male" made me laugh so hard I just about fell over. It's so true.

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

'Mountain' bikes have become de rigeur over here this last decade or so, but folks don't know what they're missing. The drag with those large section tyres is phenomenal (they've always used fat sectioned tires in the US!). I have a couple of old-fashioned 'racing' bikes - they give them away at local amenity dumps because the kids have been brainwashed by the - you've guessed it - shiny go-faster stripes. A one-and-a-quarter inch (Euromainlanders might be unlucky!) tyre section enables one to, errr, go faster. Drop bars enable one to sustain a modicum of forward motion against a howling gale, too. Mountain bikes are best for mountains not city roads.
At present, I am trying to rejig my electric bike (penny-a-mile) to run on NiMH cells, but cylindrical wound cells don't seem able to deliver sufficient working power? Probably something to do with hindered interphasial diffusion and electrolyte film thickness in that type of construction? Any other ideas? Reluctant to revert to Pb-acid!

weredog

#20 Post by weredog »

well you are supposed to

the mathematic expression in german is "zeigen"

Will be in yor language "to show Hegel"

buy