EZpup-2 ... First Looks!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
WhoDo

#21 Post by WhoDo »

Wolf Pup wrote:WhoDo, will the .sfs icons and menu entries for openoffice disappearing when EZpup is installed be fixed in EZpup2?
This problem may be a result of your version of Open Office not having specific .desktop files that can be wrapped into the menu system. It may also be a product of a later version installing Open Office at a different location than that provided with the .desktop files supplied in EZpup.

I may end up removing those .desktop files from EZpup, so they don't overwrite anything already installed. That should resolve the problem.

Cheers.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#22 Post by Béèm »

I still have this question: Should I uninstall the old version first, or can I safly install on top of the old version.

EDIT

answered, thank you
Last edited by Béèm on Tue 19 Jun 2007, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#23 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:I still have this question: Should I uninstall the old version first, or can I safly install on top of the old version.
Sorry, Béèm, but it's work time here so I haven't had a chance to reply to a lot of stuff until now.

You can safely install EZpup-2.1.7 over the top of any previous EZpup, and reboot. It will simply overwrite the old files.

The only problem is you will likely end up with multiple versions of EZpup appearing in the PETget installed programs list.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#24 Post by Béèm »

WhoDo wrote:
Béèm wrote:I still have this question: Should I uninstall the old version first, or can I safly install on top of the old version.
Sorry, Béèm, but it's work time here so I haven't had a chance to reply to a lot of stuff until now.

You can safely install EZpup-2.1.7 over the top of any previous EZpup, and reboot. It will simply overwrite the old files.

The only problem is you will likely end up with multiple versions of EZpup appearing in the PETget installed programs list.
OK, I understand.
I was kinda unpatient to try the new version. :wink:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#25 Post by Lobster »

I like the new cursors (maybe pics can go somewhere) as a reminder?
The New VistaBlackIV is my favourite theme. I am not a fan of dark themes - but this has me converted :) It is very pleasant to have icons in the menu and the new backgrounds (cut down) are a worthy collection. The rain and splash. If I have a scenic background I tend to stare at it . . . Now we really have backgrounds such as the pastel Vista swirls.

It installed over the previous EZpup that I was using (yes I lost the open office icons)

Anyway Ez-Pup-2 will be part of Linux Tmxxine Beta 2

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Shagbag

#26 Post by Shagbag »

I like the new mouse pointer icons as well.
It's funny how even the smallest things can have a big impact on the visual appeal of a GUI.

mattst8ler

Transparent rxvt?

#27 Post by mattst8ler »

Beautiful work! I just have one question. How did you guys get the transparent rxvt terminals? I want it!

Also, upon first boot, the "glipper" icon appeared on the taskbar. After rebooting it had disappeared. Any ideas how to get it back?

Thanks and keep up the good work. This is by far the best addition to Puppy ever!

WhoDo

Re: Transparent rxvt?

#28 Post by WhoDo »

mattst8ler wrote:Beautiful work! I just have one question. How did you guys get the transparent rxvt terminals? I want it!
Gekko's compilation of mrxvt, available from the forum as a download. Just search Gekko's recent posts for mrxvt.
mattst8ler wrote:Also, upon first boot, the "glipper" icon appeared on the taskbar. After rebooting it had disappeared. Any ideas how to get it back?
You can temporarily restore "glipper" with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and restarting xwin from the prompt. I've notice it disappears, too, and I think that's a function of where the applet is started from. I'm looking for it so I can relocate to a more permanent location in IceWM startup.

Glad you like EZpup. It's nice to be able to give something back to a community that has given me so much since I started. 8)

Wolf Pup

#29 Post by Wolf Pup »

Adding glipper to /usr/sbin/delayedrun fixes glipper disappearing.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

WhoDo

#30 Post by WhoDo »

Wolf Pup wrote:Adding glipper to /usr/sbin/delayedrun fixes glipper disappearing.
Thanks, Wolf Pup. That seems to have worked. I'll keep my eye on it. It was being started from .xinitrc so it would disappear when IceWM was restarted without restarting X.

Cheers

jamesbond

#31 Post by jamesbond »

simply awesome !
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

ohyes

#32 Post by ohyes »

:)
Looking great WhoDo Thankyou !
Thx especially for giving us cursor options

ohyes

#33 Post by ohyes »

Just reinstalled puppy using a frugal install of 2.16.1 of course one of the first things I did was to add Ezpup !

All went well, only a couple of things Im not sure of..'Xlock' Icon is visible but clicking on it nothing happens & 'Blinky' has a grey square around it instead of blending in with the black taskbar like it used to..

Not sure if this has anything to do with using a frugal install for the first time or perhaps something diff with Ezpup 2 ?

This is less a major.. major more a minor.. minor :)

Cheers

WhoDo

#34 Post by WhoDo »

ohyes wrote:..'Xlock' Icon is visible but clicking on it nothing happens
Show the hidden files in /root and delete any .xlock.rc file.
ohyes wrote:'Blinky' has a grey square around it instead of blending in with the black taskbar like it used to..
From the Quicklaunch menu, edit startup and ensure that the line calling Blinky has ...

Code: Select all

-bg "" &
... at the end. That will give a transparent background.

ohyes

#35 Post by ohyes »

WhoDo

Thx for replying !

I removed .Xlock from root and Xlock again worked but after rebooting it comes back to stop Xlock working.

For Blinky looks like I do have whats required..though below is my startup just incase something is wrong with it

#!/bin/sh
# this script is executed by starticewm when IceWM starts

killall icesound
#icesound &

killall icewmtray
icewmtray &

# dockapps, we must kill each to
# avoid multiple starts when switching a theme

killall icedock
#icedock &

# icedock needs a moment to start, so delay the apps
sleep 2

killall volume.app
#volume.app &
killall wmfishtime
#wmfishtime &
killall wmix
#wmix &
killall wmpower
#wmpower &
killall wmsm
#wmsm &
killall wmtop
#wmtop &
killall wmweather
#wmweather-starter &
killall wmxmms
#wmxmms &

###################################################################
# you can choose to use the tray of icewm, or the external xystray
#
# uncomment what you like
#

#killall xystray
#sleep 2 && /usr/local/xystray-trayicons/run-xystray &

killall freememapplet-tray
#sleep 2 && iu_nice -n 19 /root/my-applications/freememapplet_tray_puppy215ce/freememapplet-tray &

killall blinky
sleep 2 && /root/my-applications/blinky-0.8-icewm/src/blinky -bg "" &

WhoDo

#36 Post by WhoDo »

ohyes wrote:I removed .Xlock from root and Xlock again worked but after rebooting it comes back to stop Xlock working.
If you click on xlock to "test" that it's working, and you don't enter a password, you get a corrupt (null) encrypted password. Simply delete the /root/.xlock.rc file again and this time either don't click on xlock to test, or use a password you can remember and let xlock start.
ohyes wrote:For Blinky looks like I do have whats required..though below is my startup just incase something is wrong with it
Yes, your line for Blinky in startup is ok. Blinky picks up (for transparency purposes) the first taskbar background after it is started with the transparency option.

I suggest you comment out the line containing Blinky and reboot into your preferred theme. Then uncomment Blinky in startup and use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to exit to prompt. Restart IceWM with the full "xwin starticewm" commandline. Blinky "should" then pick up its transparent background from the current taskbar.

Hope that helps.

ohyes

#37 Post by ohyes »

WhoDo

Xlock now OK, Cheers :)

Blinky still a problem, keeps coming back with the grey square

Also tried overwriting with installing Ezpup again didnt do anything for me.

WhoDo

#38 Post by WhoDo »

ohyes wrote:Blinky still a problem, keeps coming back with the grey square

Also tried overwriting with installing Ezpup again didnt do anything for me.
Edit startup to give blinky a background color - format as -bg "#ffffff" - shutdown and restart with the new color to ensure that blinky is reading the -bg switch. Then repeat process removing color data and leaving -bg "", shutdown and restart. Blinky should pick up the correct background info.

Also, double check that you have ColorNetIdle="" in either your /root/.icewm/preferences file or the default.theme file for the theme you are using. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what else to tell you, ohyes.

ohyes

#39 Post by ohyes »

WhoDo
I changed Blinky bg colour in startup as below and rebooted but the colour still the same..so I guess bg colour switch is not working for some reason but why :?

killall blinky
sleep 2 && /root/my-applications/blinky-0.8-icewm/src/blinky -bg "#ffffff" &

Also looked in
/root/.icewm/preferences
to see ColorNetIdle=""
That parameter is not there...but it is in
/root/.icewm/icewm/default.theme

# network device
ColorNetSend="#0000FF"
ColorNetReceive="#FF0000"
ColorNetIdle=""

Im using the Ice VistaBlackIV theme

Like I said before though this aint a big issue..and if I really dont like that grey square I can just stop Blinky from starting.

Im gonna try changing to another theme to see if what happens.

ohyes

#40 Post by ohyes »

For inifo

Im not sure as to why but, ..the bg switch is not working..tried setting colour from the console ..no difference.

I then tried changing the GTK theme with the GTK THeme Chooser.
.. when I fire blinky up it shows the colour of the chosen theme every time ignoring any colour parameter I put in the bg switch