How do I Uninstall JWM and Fvmw?

Booting, installing, newbie
flamesage

How do I Uninstall JWM and Fvmw?

#1 Post by flamesage »

How would I go about doing this? I always use ICEWM and have no need for them, and trying to "weed out" unused programs for my Remastered CD

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

You must be kidding.

You actually want Microsoft XP on your computer. We are talking big time bloatware compared to Puppy, are we not?

On the other hand you want to trim off a couple megabytes from Puppy which don't even affect the speed or operation of the computer when not running and which serve you when they do run.

------------

I don't know your plans about remastering a CD. If you want to delete files from your existing Puppy, it is mostly a matter of locating them and removing them.

This should probably work for locating them:

# cd /

# find |grep -i jwm

or redirect to a file

# find |grep -i jwm>~/jwm.txt

for fvwm same thing

# find |grep -i fvw>~/fvwm.txt

You can review the txt files to determine where the unwanted files are located and delete the ones your judgement feels are safe to delete.

flamesage

#3 Post by flamesage »

Well, since I found out I can't reinstall XP on this hard-drive, im giving it a boost from puppy. And then im going to put WinXP on another hard-drive im goign to buy, and buy a really cheap computer, and transfer my puppy to that computer (the hard-drive also.)

So basicly, two computers, one puppy, one windows.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

flamesage wrote:Well, since I found out I can't reinstall XP on this hard-drive, im giving it a boost from puppy. And then im going to put WinXP on another hard-drive im goign to buy, and buy a really cheap computer, and transfer my puppy to that computer (the hard-drive also.)
I followed the other thread and contributed some. You actually tried to set XP up your way. It didn't work either I take it.

I was thinking the entire time that XP is very controlling and bossy, especially when working with the restore disks you were working with. My advice for setting up your XP is you have to submit to and cooperate with what XP wants to do. Forget what you want. Everything is always about XP, its makers and partners.

Good luck with your plans!

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

XP has to create its little partitions to enable its restore program to work so you have to let it do its own install.

flamesage

#6 Post by flamesage »

No no. The main problem was I replaced hard-drives, because another linux distro somehow corrupted my HD (atleast that's what I think).

Either way, HP says I need a bigger hard-drive than what it came with, so im going Hard-drive hunting.

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

flamesage wrote:No no. The main problem was I replaced hard-drives, because another linux distro somehow corrupted my HD (atleast that's what I think).

Either way, HP says I need a bigger hard-drive than what it came with, so im going Hard-drive hunting.
I'm not disputing that you may well need a hd of same size or larger.

However, I think Ian is right about creating its little partions. Not visible to the XP interface, but can be viewed and copied with the right tools.

I don't know if you ever tried installing it on an (1) unpartitioned HD or (2) partitioned but unformatted drive. According to the way I remember the thread you didn't report trying either of these two options.

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

flamesage wrote:Well, since I found out I can't reinstall XP on this hard-drive, im giving it a boost from puppy. And then im going to put WinXP on another hard-drive im goign to buy, and buy a really cheap computer, and transfer my puppy to that computer (the hard-drive also.)

So basicly, two computers, one puppy, one windows.
Why not run Puppy on the same computer? You will have two hard drives and your computer will support them both.

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

flamesage wrote:No no. The main problem was I replaced hard-drives, because another linux distro somehow corrupted my HD (atleast that's what I think).

It is sort of unusual for any operating system to physically damage a hard disk. Albeit they can make such a mess that even the BIOS won't see it right.

I've fixed a few really messed up drives by wiping them clean. Have you tried that? If not, do you still have the drive?

flamesage

#10 Post by flamesage »

Yeah.

Well the reason I don't want to duel boot, is because I want "freedom".
Basicly, where if I want, I can have puppy, and winXp running at the same time, on different computers, what's the MINIMUM puppy needs to run on?
heck, If I can buy an old computer that runs puppy for like 50$? I would be set.

I talked a BUNCH with HP support, but when I booted up MEPIS Linux (installed on HD previously) it kept on saying "Bad blocks (sector #)" or something ilke that, and repeated many times.

Maybe I just had bad luck?

I've tried everything.

dvw86

#11 Post by dvw86 »

I just saved a drive that fdisk, cfdisk, and Apple's Disk Utility wouldn't touch. I used Suse's Yast. For some reason reformatting with Yast repaired whatever it was that was messed up. Go figure, but I now carry a Suse live CD in my computer bag. :)

Bruce B

#12 Post by Bruce B »

Flamesage, one time I was in a very similiar circumstance on an HP computer. I'll outline for you what I did because it worked fine.

1) I saved the XP setup files on the hidden fat and I think there was a tiny hidden fat for the boot options also which I saved. I did this in case I was forced to resetup with XP

2) I deleted all partitions

3) I made a FAT32 of the size I wanted for C:, leaving plenty of freespace for future partitioning

4) I installed 98SE

5) HP has zero non XP support for that model, so I downloaded the needed hardware drivers from the motherboard manufacturer and installed them. (Everything such as NIC, video, soundcard, modem was builtin to the motherboard.)