Questions re compiling the kernel and drivers

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
John Doe

Questions re compiling the kernel and drivers

#1 Post by John Doe »

I've read over this page:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/development ... kernel.htm

I have a couple questions.

1-The page says
"Vector Linux 5.0STD"
I downloaded 5.1 STD. Is that ok? or should I get 5.0?

2-The page says
"obtain the configuration file for the kernel. A copy of this is in Puppy, in folder /lib/modules."
I'm going to try and compile for alpha 2, so I just use the configuration from that folder (config-2july05-2.4.29-pup1.0.4)?

3-I'm using usr_devx.sfs. If I create a custom patched kernel, how will this effect my use of the application building capabilities in usr_devx.sfs?

As I don't think I can edit usr_devx.sfs, would I be able to import my patch through the file system by copying it to the right place each time I'd like to compile apps?

Re: Questions re compiling the kernel and drivers

#2 Post by Guest »

John Doe wrote:I've read over this page:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/development ... kernel.htm

I have a couple questions.

1-The page says
"Vector Linux 5.0STD"
I downloaded 5.1 STD. Is that ok? or should I get 5.0?

2-The page says
"obtain the configuration file for the kernel. A copy of this is in Puppy, in folder /lib/modules."
I'm going to try and compile for alpha 2, so I just use the configuration from that folder (config-2july05-2.4.29-pup1.0.4)?

3-I'm using usr_devx.sfs. If I create a custom patched kernel, how will this effect my use of the application building capabilities in usr_devx.sfs?

As I don't think I can edit usr_devx.sfs, would I be able to import my patch through the file system by copying it to the right place each time I'd like to compile apps?
1 Follow the instructions on the page.....VL-5.1 uses later than Puppy-1.0.4 libs espec glibc

2 Use the config for the version of puppy your compiling the kernel for

3 It's not an issue.....The kernel includes in /usr/include SHOULD NOT BE PATCHED as the compiler\linker\glibc depend on these.....Where as the the Kernel sources are different and it really doesn't affect compiling Applications just drivers.

But if your are using Puppy-1.0.5-alpha2 you don't need Vector (which is based on Slackware) as it is completely self dependant for compiling. Make a note that it is a work in prgress and some items maybe missing.

#3 Post by Guest »

bladehunter wrote: 1 Follow the instructions on the page.....VL-5.1 uses later than Puppy-1.0.4 libs espec glibc
By "later than" you mean that 5.1 is not the correct version to use for Puppy 1.0.4?
bladehunter wrote: 2 Use the config for the version of puppy your compiling the kernel for
ok. Understood. Thanks.
bladehunter wrote: 3 It's not an issue.....The kernel includes in /usr/include SHOULD NOT BE PATCHED as the compiler\linker\glibc depend on these.....Where as the the Kernel sources are different and it really doesn't affect compiling Applications just drivers.
ok, thanks
bladehunter wrote: But if your are using Puppy-1.0.5-alpha2 you don't need Vector (which is based on Slackware) as it is completely self dependant for compiling. Make a note that it is a work in prgress and some items maybe missing.
Do you have a link to info on this? I'm trying to figure out how to rebuild the kernel, like out lined on that page. I'd like to do it for the alpha 2. You're saying I don't need Vector?

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

Anonymous wrote:Do you have a link to info on this? I'm trying to figure out how to rebuild the kernel, like out lined on that page. I'd like to do it for the alpha 2. You're saying I don't need Vector?
Never mind, I found this:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/development ... cratch.htm

I'll start downloading and reading again. 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

usr_devx.sfs is really only introduced on the News page.

That's right, no need for Vector. Use usr_devx.sfs and 1.0.5alpha2.
1.0.5 will have the same kernel as 1.0.4.
I think I put the kernel header files into usr_devx.sfs.

John Doe

#6 Post by John Doe »

BarryK wrote:usr_devx.sfs is really only introduced on the News page.
Call me "a fan".
BarryK wrote:1.0.5 will have the same kernel as 1.0.4.
acknowledged.
BarryK wrote:I think I put the kernel header files into usr_devx.sfs.
Yes you did. I think I'm almost "there".

Thanks for the help.