Why won't Puppy Unleashed work on FAT32 partition?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mr Doolie

Why won't Puppy Unleashed work on FAT32 partition?

#1 Post by Mr Doolie »

Why does the Puppy Unleashed (according to the docs) have to be on a linux formatted partition? Why won't it work on a FAT32 partition?

#2 Post by Guest »

A FAT32 partition does not ahve the structure to hold\store the various permissions\attributes required by Linux....That's the easy answer.

Although if a FAT partition is mounted as a UMSDOS filesystem if will work, byt requires a little bit of setting up..

Do a google for umsdos

Here's a link http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/UMSDOS-HOWTO.html

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

yes, umsdos is supported by Puppy, but note that only with the 2.4 kernel.
The 2.6 kernel has dropped support for umsdos, and we will be moving up to the 2.6 kernel one day.

Mr Doolie

An idea

#4 Post by Mr Doolie »

Oh wait, doesn't puppy mount a simulated Linux drive (the "pup001" file)?

Could I just mount one of those to use the Puppy-Maker stuff?

Uh....how would I do that? Please tell me in Dummy-speak. I have a virgin Pup001 file that I could easily rename to Pup002 but then how do I make that look like another partition?

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

mount /mnt/home/pup999 /mnt/tmp -o loop

Assuming you have renamed it to pup999 and you have a /mnt/tmp directory, that will mount it there. There is an easy way to make a partition image, though, but I can't recall it off the top of my head. I'm going to go find it, and I'll come back when I do. The pup file should work unless you need more than 256M (or whatever yours is). You can just delete everything inside it.

I don't know if this will actually work, but it should. I've been thinking about experamenting with filesystem images, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

FYI, the pupxxx file is a "filesystem image"
That's also what an ISO is. It's like an iso of a partition.

EDIT: Okay, here we go:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=$IMAGEPATH bs=1M count=$FILESYSTEMSIZE > /dev/null 2>&1
sync
mke2fs -m 0 -b 1024 $IMAGEPATH
That will make a filesystem image at $IMAGEPATH that is $FILESYSTEMSIZE megabytes. Just swap out the variables ($IMAGEPATH and $FILESYSTEMSIZE) for the path and size and it should work. So, for example, to make one that is 500 megabytes at /mnt/home/puppyunleashed, you would use

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/home/puppyunleashed bs=1M count=500 > /dev/null 2>&1
sync
mke2fs -m 0 -b 1024 /mnt/home/puppyunleashed
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Mr Doolie

thanks

#6 Post by Mr Doolie »

I'll give it a shot. Thanks

>school toilet paper does.

It *THAT* what that stuff was? We use to use it in Woodshop when we ran out of sandpaper. Remember those nasty brown paper towels? Did you ever try to wipe your nose on one? An experience you never forget. I had a bad cold one time and wore off 1/4 inch of my nose.