Disable copying of pup_216.sfs to tmpfs?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ZeNiTRaM

Disable copying of pup_216.sfs to tmpfs?

#1 Post by ZeNiTRaM »

Hi,

I've got Puppy running (in loopback mode) on a PII 266Mhz with 64mb RAM. As the system couldn't find the swap partition (I used a loop file with swapon), the system kept loading from HD, and worked OK.

The thing is, I created a 128mb swap partition to try Zenwalk, and now Puppy automatically recognizes the swap (that's fine..) but now, as it's got enough memory, it copies pup_216.sfs to tmpfs at bootup. But, as I have such a small ram, it gets full and part of the file is written to the swapfile. That makes the system go a bit slower, as there's no free RAM available (before I had just a bit..), and the boot process is slower too, as it has to copy Puppy from the HD.. to the HD :roll:

So.. is there any way of disabling the copy of pup_216.sfs to tmpfs? It runs OK from the HD directly.. (squashfs doesn't make a lot of speed difference).

ZeNiTRaM

#2 Post by ZeNiTRaM »

All right, I've tryed modifing the /initrd/sbin/init script (mounted with -o loop) and commented the line that loads the swap. But it keeps copying to tmpfs.. it seems that swap is already loaded BEFORE the memory space check (free -m) and then it gets loaded again after it.. is this a bug? The swap is getting loaded.. twice?