How to make a multi-session cd?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
TimH

Re: multi session dvd

#21 Post by TimH »

Flash wrote: Here's a neat trick you can use if you have a DVD burner and a DVD+ or -RW:
Download the Puppy iso in Windows, if that's all you have. Use whatever burning program you have in Windows to burn a bootable DVD of the iso. Then boot the DVD+/-RW, mount the Windows partition where you put the Puppy iso and use burniso2cd to burn it on the same DVD+/-RW. No need to blank the DVD first, just overburn it. I've done this several times, with both DVD+ and -RW. I believe there are technical reasons why +RW is better than -RW if you're going to do it, but both have worked for me. I've never tried multisession Puppy on CD-RW but I think you must erase it first.
How did you "in Windows to burn a bootable DVD of the iso"? - I've got Nero 6 and it says it cannot use the DVD to burn this type of image (iso).

Thanks
Tim

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#22 Post by Béèm »

I use DVD Decrypter in Windows to burn a DVD-RW or CD-RW
(I don't use DVD-R nor CD-R)
No problems, always got a good burn.
See: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/DV ... 11845169/1

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#23 Post by Flash »

TimH: due to the limitations of most Windows-based burning programs, you may have to do it in two steps. Most Windows-based burning programs will burn a bootable CD, so first burn a Puppy CD of the iso, then boot the Puppy CD, mount the Windows partition where the iso resides and use burniso2cd in Puppy to burn the DVD. A CD-RW works fine, if you have one. Good luck. :lol:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

freke

#24 Post by freke »

I downloaded BURNCDCC in windows from TeraByte unlimited and copied puppy linux to a DVD-R without a problem.

ted

goforit

Burn multisession

#25 Post by goforit »

Hi to all, Im new to Linux and Puppy and Im trying to burn a multisession 2.16. I boot up from a Puppy CD and go into "burniso2cd" put the CD-R in the DVD buner (Panasonic 112d ) as I proceed it askes me to "choose the iso file". I dont know what to do at that point so I dont choose anything and just follow the rest of the steps. It looks like everything is going ok but at the end it says burn could not be varified,you should start over?. I tried it a few times and the same thing happens. Is their something I should be choosing when asked about the iso. I thought that would automatically come from the Puppy 2.16 I was copying from? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ed

Inuyasha

#26 Post by Inuyasha »

I don't mean to bring a thread back from the dead, but I like this thread.

A couple of questions:

1. Why is a DVD better than a CD-RW?
2. Why is it fool-proof to burn the ISO in Puppy Linux than inside Windows?

Does it have something to do with assembly language, the way the laser touches the disk, and so forth? Something about sectors and tracks? I'm curious as to the mechanical, electrical, and programmatic differences.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#27 Post by Flash »

Inuyasha wrote:I don't mean to bring a thread back from the dead, but I like this thread.

A couple of questions:

1. Why is a DVD better than a CD-RW?
First, multisession seems to work much more reliably on a DVD, possibly because the DVD specification included multisession capability from the start. Second, a DVD holds more data, is physically more rugged (the data layer is sandwitched in the middle instead of being on the back of the disk, protected only by a thin layer of lacquer) and the data transfer rate is probably a bit higher, than a CD.
2. Why is it fool-proof to burn the ISO in Puppy Linux than inside Windows?
I don't know. Maybe the Windows program doesn't do it very well because Puppy is one of the few uses for multisession DVD. Until Puppy came along, the multisession specification was a solution looking for a problem. Nobody knew what to do with it.