How to use Lexmark Z42 USB printer?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
MEoip

How to use Lexmark Z42 USB printer?

#1 Post by MEoip »

My Lexmark printer has prevented me from switching to Linux before but now that I have found a fast version I'm more insistent on switching. The Lexmark shows up on the USBview. I have run the Printer Wizard in the Wizard Wizard menu.

I choose USB as the kernel device driver. I named the printer lexmark I tried the "name of the device" as /dev/ubs/LP1 I also tried LP0 and lexmark. I did not get any of these to work. Am I doing something wrong or is my lexmark going to ruin my plans again?

FYI: When I tried ubuntu I could get half a page printed.

I don't know much if anythign about Puppy or linux so please keep your help simple.

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

have you tried writing /dev/usb/lp0 (LP with small letters).

twodees

Re: Lexmark Z42 install

#3 Post by twodees »

MEoip wrote:My Lexmark printer has prevented me from switching to Linux before but now that I have found a fast version I'm more insistent on switching. The Lexmark shows up on the USBview. I have run the Printer Wizard in the Wizard Wizard menu.

I choose USB as the kernel device driver. I named the printer lexmark I tried the "name of the device" as /dev/ubs/LP1 I also tried LP0 and lexmark. I did not get any of these to work. Am I doing something wrong or is my lexmark going to ruin my plans again?

FYI: When I tried ubuntu I could get half a page printed.

I don't know much if anythign about Puppy or linux so please keep your help simple.

Check to see if you have selected the z42 as the default printer in the installation wizard. The wizard mentions this step, but I had forgotten it when I installed my z53. Hope it's as simple as that.

MEoip

tried

#4 Post by MEoip »

I did try using small letters. I posted with caps because the capital I and lower case l look the same so I also tried Ip. I also did try setting the z42 as the default printer though this seems to have no visible effect. In XP when I go to file - print the default printer is highlighted already. When I do this in puppy I have to select the z42 in the print dialog box. So this may be my problem but if it is I'm not sure what I've done wrong...
Thanks again.

gamfa

#5 Post by gamfa »

"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

silverojo

#6 Post by silverojo »

I had the same problem...and now, I have the problem again, because I lost my notes on how to fix it! :?

If someone could help with this--the problem is that Puppy isn't connecting with the USB port that the printer is in, and there's something you have to do from the command line.

Could somebody please post their suggestions, as I'd like to be able to hook up my printer again....

silverojo

#7 Post by silverojo »

OK, I found the answer in my notes. Here's how you get Puppy to recognize your USB printer, if using the Wizard doesn't work.

Click on CONSOLE, then type the following at the prompt:

Code: Select all

modprobe usblp
That will enable Puppy to recognize the USB port that your printer is on. Use the printer wizard as normal. Afterward, while xpdq is still running, click PRINTER, then SET AS DEFAULT.

That should solve your problem. :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

I'm going over to CUPS for pup 2.17, and it will at least have the same Gutenprint printer drivers as the current pup. A lot more configurable with the CUPS web interface.

Also, 'usblp' module will always be loaded at bootup, even if you don't have a usb printer.