Puppy on Palm Tungsten T2, anyone?

Booting, installing, newbie
velcro

Puppy on Palm Tungsten T2, anyone?

#1 Post by velcro »

Hey, all. I've been hunting for a way to use my palm tungsten T2 with puppy. I use puppy as the sole OS on my thinkpad 600. It looks like j-pilot needs j-link which needs a C compiler, which puppy doesn't have. So that appears to be out. Has anybody out there figured out any way to use their PDA with Puppy?

I've searched the forums for "jpilot", "j-pilot", and "palm desktop". If I should have checked something else, kindly let me know. Thanks!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Did you know that Puppy 1.0.5a2 has a C compiler?

velcro

#3 Post by velcro »

I did not know that, Flash. Thanks.

Now there's a new question, then, I guess. The only version of Puppy I can get to run on my Thinkpad is BladeHunter's framebuffer-enabled version (http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=825), which runs 1.0.3. Any suggestions? I'm not really competent to compile my own version, although I may soon be able to try out puppy unleashed.

While we're on the topic, by the way, do I want to try and install tar.gz files from a terminal window using some text command, or just us the tkzip and then the setup files? And do applications need to be installed in /root subdirectories? I've tried 20 things for every one that works (it's called learning, I guess), and it seems like most self-installing things get in trouble because they try and install to the wrong place.

Thanks!

-Joel

#4 Post by Guest »

First of all ditch the framebuffer-1.0.3 puppy.

Grab my 1.0.4-NFS version as this is based of the latest release, the GFX handling is alot more responsive and crisper.

And if I can find my pilot I'll see if I can come up with a working solution.

babbs

#5 Post by babbs »

I hadn't thought of putting Puppy on my Palm... I'd love to see it on there! That would be so cool.

I'm not sure what the exact specs are, but I have a Tungsten T3. It has room for 64mb of storage space for my addons and files, but I have no clue about space for an OS. I don't have an expansion card for it (I have a slot, but no card to put in it).

(Its been a while since I've powered it on or charged it so I'll need to reinstall what ever I need to put on there. I remember that I had something installed that would allow me to do everything that Open Office does. It would be nice to have that capability again.)

Bladehunter, when you have done your majic with 1.0.5, let me know and I'll give it a try. Thank you for all of your excellent work on Puppy!

Babbs

velcro

Thanks.

#6 Post by velcro »

Thanks, BladeHunter. I'll try out the 1.0.4. My response was delayed by Me.2.3.ms-ce (that is, my third son's birth, or Me, second generation, third iteration, most self-centeredly expressed). Not that you were sitting around waiting.

-Joel

danleff

#7 Post by danleff »

My interest has been sparked by this thought also. In older distros, my 2 palms worked well with j-pilot on a serial connection. I went as far as buying a serial cable, as usb support was very limited with my palms.

J-pilot acts as both a sync utility and calendar program, which is what most folks would like to have. The ability to have their schedules on Linux and be able to transfer files back and forth.

From what I remember, most of the support was via the kernel, as I remember re-compiling my kernel with Handspring/palm support loaded directly into the kernel. Then using j-pilot to do the transfers.

It will be interesting to see if usb support has come along in the most recent 2.4 series kernels. My newer Handspring treo has add-on card support, so this would be a welcome tool to have.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

PeterSieg

pilot-xfer

#8 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi. find attached pilot.tar.gz, that contains just pilot-link with needed support files. This app transfers various files to and from palm pilot via serial if (also usb should work). It is a command line tool! But there are some gui out there.. let me know, if it works for you... Howto should be found by googling.

PS
Have fun :)